SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Winter Diversion (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/95522-winter-diversion.html)

4arch 01-07-2013 07:33 PM

Winter Diversion

I've always been interested in learning more about boat building and for my last birthday my wife gave me four weekend days worth of attendance at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum's "Apprentice for a Day" program. The museum runs the program every year and this year is building a replica of a circa 1918 Chesapeake sailing skiff.

I attended my first class before the holidays when we "lofted" the boat - basically meaning that we created full-size drawings on a board to be used for reference during the process. This was really informative as far as understanding the translation between a 2-D line drawing and a complex shaped object.

This past weekend I attended another session and we worked on setting up wooden molds that will eventually be used to bend the hull planking into shape. We also milled a huge piece of douglass fir and did a dry fit on shaping it to form the keel that sweeps up at the bow.

So far I've had a lot of fun and I've really appreciated that the museum staff and volunteers who run the program have let me dive right into getting my hands dirty pretty much from the get-go. I was a little afraid going in that it might be more observation than participation - but that hasn't been the case at all and I've already had plenty of boat shop large power tool time. :D I get the sense that if I was the type who didn't know a drill from a table saw the staff would be just as patient and enthusiastic about educating me.

I keep meaning to take some pictures, but time flies every time I go to "class". I'll have to make a point to next time. Two more classes left - I hope to go back again a couple of times in February. The build will continue into spring but I was really more interested in being there for building the hull more than fitting it out though I'll definitely have to get back to St. Mike's to see her launched in the spring.

brokesailor 01-07-2013 07:50 PM

Winter Diversion

Great story!

chef2sail 01-07-2013 08:10 PM

Re: Winter Diversion

Thats a great story ..So there will be some new modifications on Spindrift this sailing season huh...like a bowsprit with maidenhead:):)

Your diversion is certainly more productive than mine. Ive been inthe off topic threads, probabaly driving people crazy with my opinions. I am way to moderate or liberal they think for them.

Great gift and experience for you

bljones 01-07-2013 08:24 PM

be careful of the boatbuilding thing. It is addictive.

4arch 01-07-2013 09:28 PM

Yeah I think I've got my wife a little afraid I'll start building our next boat in our back yard...with the bowsprit hanging over the alley.

BubbleheadMd 01-08-2013 12:03 PM

After you've completed this class, you should visit Chesapeake Light Craft and build yourself a sweet little dinghy.

I think you can purchase a kit for between $600-$900. Stitch and glue, build a sailing rig for it. I got to row and examine one that a friend built 10 years ago, and it's wonderful. Rows easily and quickly too. I imagine that it's very rewarding.

4arch 01-09-2013 06:58 PM

I would love to build a CLC stitch and glue kit but finding a warm and, more importantly, dry place to do it is a challenge since building it in the middle of our living room won't fly and I've already turned the spare bedroom into a temporary canvas loft. Someday.

4arch 02-08-2013 07:01 PM

More progress last weekend...

http://www.sailnet.com/photogallery/....php?file=7901

We steam bent the two chine planks into place along the molds. Pretty soon she'll be ready for planking!

chef2sail 02-08-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4arch (Post 972216)
Yeah I think I've got my wife a little afraid I'll start building our next boat in our back yard...with the bowsprit hanging over the alley.

Better than building it in the living room./