Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013

RichH will become famous soon enough
Chesapeake Bay News: 1 Bad, 1 Good

All from Chesapeake Bay Mag's: ChesapeakeBoating.net (Feb. eIssue)

First the good news:
Schaefer's Canal House Does Too
There's good news for hungry boaters at the top of the Bay, as well, with the reopening of the completely rebuilt Schaefer's Canal House. That longtime popular eating establishment-located on the north side of Chesapeake City, Md., at the western entrance to the Chesapeake & Delaware Canal-has been closed since 2005. Now the Giordano family, (who own Giordano's Restaurant in Kennett Square, Pa.) have rebuilt everything, including the docks. The restaurant and marina were due to open in early September. The Canal House fuel dock has been open since mid-summer. Here's the phone number: 410-885-7200.

Now the bad news:
Zebra mussels are now definitely on 'this side' of the Connowingo.
THE INVASIVE AND HIGHLY DESTRUCTIVE zebra mussel is continuing its march down the Bay. After discovering the invader a few years ago, first north and then south of the Conowingo Dam on the Susquehanna, officials put boaters on alert to wash their vessels and boots carefully-to prevent the critters from hitching a ride and spreading south. Now 20 young zebra mussels have been found attached to buoys off Havre de Grace, Md. Biologists know that these are recently spawned, since the buoys are pulled at the end of each season. Zebra mussels in the Great Lakes have caused millions of dollars of damage and wrecked havoc on the native wildlife populations.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten
Re: Chesapeake Bay News: 1 Bad, 1 Good

Thanks for the update Rich. I'm on the hard just 2 NM South of there. I'll probably be making that one of my first destinations, once back in the water, before I head North
Old 01-22-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post

First the good news:
There's good news for hungry boaters at the top of the Bay, as well, with the reopening of the completely rebuilt Schaefer's Canal House. That longtime popular eating establishment-located on the north side of Chesapeake City, Md., at the western entrance to the Chesapeake & Delaware Canal-has been closed since 2005. Now the Giordano family, (who own Giordano's Restaurant in Kennett Square, Pa.) have rebuilt everything, including the docks. The restaurant and marina were due to open in early September. The Canal House fuel dock has been open since mid-summer. Here's the phone number: 410-885-7200.

Now the bad news:
THE INVASIVE AND HIGHLY DESTRUCTIVE zebra mussel is continuing its march down the Bay. After discovering the invader a few years ago, first north and then south of the Conowingo Dam on the Susquehanna, officials put boaters on alert to wash their vessels and boots carefully-to prevent the critters from hitching a ride and spreading south. Now 20 young zebra mussels have been found attached to buoys off Havre de Grace, Md. Biologists know that these are recently spawned, since the buoys are pulled at the end of each season. Zebra mussels in the Great Lakes have caused millions of dollars of damage and wrecked havoc on the native wildlife populations.

Thanks Rich.

Saw the docks were open at Shaffers, a great location lots of us remember
Caution when docking to turn into the current there as it can rip at 3+ knotts

Zebra report sucks.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-22-2013

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post

First the good news:

Now the bad news:
See our Schaeffer's eating report where we had a very delightful Thanksgiving dinner under "Chesapeake Bay eats".

As far as the Zebra mussel..I've had first hand, up and close,visualization of these little critters as I had the opportunity to dive on wrecks in the St. Lawrence River this past summer. They where on every inch of the wrecks and wearing gloves and other protection was mandatory.

Now..as I recall..talking to the locals, there has been a species that has been introduced in the Lakes that will supposedly eventually eradicate the Zebra muscle..but will see if this introduced species will also have some sort of negative bi-product as well as a result...

Last edited by aa3jy; 01-22-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-22-2013

mltroy is on a distinguished road

Zebra Mussels are a freshwater species so it will be interesting to see how far down the Bay they go. I would expect they will go up the rivers. They've evidently already been found in the Sassafras. They do have a saltwater cousin the dark false mussel (Mytilopsis leucophaeata), which is native to our Atlantic coast and is similar in appearance though not habits. Here's an article from the DNR about the recent find: More Zebra Mussels Found in Upper Chesapeake Bay | DNR News

Mary Lou
Rhodes 22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD
Old 01-25-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

I would expect not further down than the Bay bridge. That is the lower limit of freshwater at low tide... question is.. can they survive salt water at all?

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 01-29-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

I think they might be good. They might turn our opaque water clear again and allow the grass to grow. AFAIK they can't survive salt, so they'll forever be stuck up at the end of the Bay.

Old 01-29-2013

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Hey Joe-

Won't be surprised you might find 'em in the Corisica in about 5 years. Might think about moving your boat somewhere more south..
Old 01-31-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

I can't see how they could survive the salt water and even if the did, what would they do to my boat?

Old 01-31-2013

RichH will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquina View Post
I can't see how they could survive the salt water and even if the did, what would they do to my boat?
Grow inside your raw water circuits and solidly affix themselves to every bronze and cast iron component: strainers, Heat Exchangers, etc. that stays below ~140 deg F. in your engine, refrig. and air conditioner, etc. The only thing they wont affix to is Copper-Nickel alloys; have you priced Cu-Ni components? Most refrigs. have Cu-Ni exchangers, but not all.

The Upper Ches. is brackish and with the 'salt line' moving up and down the bay in response to how wet or dry it is in the Susquehanna Valley. Most times in the far upper bay, the salt water stays on the bottom and the fresh watwer stratifies on top of the salt water; the different water salinities are VERY slow to mix.

Last edited by RichH; 01-31-2013 at 10:12 AM.