SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Rock hall?

4K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  mgmhead 
#1 ·
I was looking at a chart going into Rock Hall and was wondering, do you all go around the mud/sand bar to the south, or can you cut across? Also, I don't see any channel into a dock, I'm guessing this is NOT the case. Is it just not shone clearly? Thanks.

#2 ·
If you are talking Swan Point Bar, it obviously depends on draft.
In my Gemini (2 foot draft) I went over at the range lights. Most of my friends go around to the #2 can.
Once in RH do not try to shortcut across the center as it's very shallow, do the loop to get to the dock you want.

#4 ·
I've always gone across the bar at the two yellow range marks. Never had less than 5 feet under my keel (7 feet actual). I stay within 30 feet of a straight line to the south side of the towers. My chart shows that as being a maintenance channel with 6-7 feet.

Keep in mind the Gemini draws 22 inches with the motor down.
I've been followed across by a Sabre 34 and a Catalina 27 - both drawing 4.5 feet.

The only drama I've had was when my motor quit half way over one day. How fast can you replace a fuel pump?

#5 ·
I've always gone across the bar at the two yellow range marks. Never had less than 5 feet under my keel (7 feet actual). I stay within 30 feet of a straight line to the south side of the towers. My chart shows that as being a maintenance channel with 6-7 feet.

We keep our boat at Gratitude, at the entrance to Swan Creek, and we frequently see boats cutting across the bar. Other than having minimal draft, we couldn't figure out how they were getting across and the path they took (we always noticed from down around GC3 where we have to make the turn so they were probably in their docks by the time we got up there). This helps clear it up. We've only ever seen one boat grounded in that area and it was a 22 footer that had to wait for the tide.

#7 ·
We always opt for GC3 and do not cross the bar. Whats a few extra minutes. I have seen a few people stuck on it.

There are two parts to Rock Hall,

One is Rock Hall Harbor which is 47 degrees from the R4 Nun off to the starboard. No real anchorage area. There are some nice marinas and the Watermans Restaurant there

The other area and more popular is Straight up to the R6nun to the entrance of a winding narrow channel back to Swan Creek. Just take your time and stay between the bouys as they meander.

Somewhere on the starboard side as you come in around GC11 you will see mooring for Swan Creek marina and they can be rented also.
Make sure you go all the way to the GC15 before you turn to port into the Swan Creek anchorage area and feel your way back. It is shallow, but very doable. You will find more room back further as it gets shallower and kind of stay in the middle, but you can go back a long way. We draw 4.8 and have no problem. There is a conch blowing at sunset in the anchorage

Also if you turn starboard after passing R14 there is a narrow channel back to three really nice marinas.

Somewhere on the starboard side as you come in around GC11 you will see mooring for Swan Creek marina and they can be rented also.

Reactions: Yamsailor
#12 ·
Haven't heard anything about H. Sandy changing the shoaling in the Upper Bay. We did get a lot of rain here and some high winds but not the extended wind and wave action that might change the shoaling. I think (though I don't know) that most of the shoaling here is an ongoing process not like on the Atlantic coast where a single storm can change things dramatically.

Mary Lou
Rhodes 22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD

#13 ·
Our draft is 4' 4", when we head over to Rockhall/Swan Creek from Rock Creek off the Patapsco, I usually line up the range lights for the Brewerton Channel then just before the light tower I take a heading of about 100 so we pass North of the range light. Don't go just South of that range light however, trust me on that one ;) (This is what I do, not suggesting anyone else do the same, not my fault if you run aground :laugher)

The only time I recall ever touching bottom crossing the bar was during a low tide with a good breeze blowing the bay South in which I should have had the sense to go around and once coming into Swan Creek during late fall and caught the bottom off Gratitude Marina.

#16 ·
Used to cross the Swan Point Bar both north and south of the range light. My former boat drew 5'6". current boat draws 5'. At low tide with a 5'6" draft I've 'bumped' before but never went aground.

Suck it up and watch you depth gauge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.