Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Currents in the C&D Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperbird View Post
Just can't get enough, huh? Tentative plans are early to mid-June. Don't know brokesailor - will have to look him up.

We live in Annapolis, but keep the boat at Herrington North. Have done the round trip once as a family. But also the North-then-West one way a couple times. Last time we stopped in Cape May for a night's sleep, but we had 3 weeks for the trip. This time we may be limited to 2 weeks so am considering not stopping. Our air draft (53') is cutting it close for the Cape May Canal anyway. If we have to go around, then I'm inclined to just keep going for Block.

Funny story - when we came through the canal at night, I was asleep below and my wife was on watch. She yelled that a big ship with a strange light configuration - 2 whites in a horizontal line - was heading right towards us really, really fast! Turned out to be a truck driving on the access road next to the canal. But a serious enough adrenaline shot that she was very alert the rest of her watch.
We are also 53 ft and have never had trouble in the Cape May Canal. Just make sure its not a full moon and high tide.

We go north every year for at least 21/2 to 3 weeks, We do stop at Utsches before heading up the coast.

I have been in the C&C Canal once at night when we saw a big ship ( lights and radar) and pulled to the side. There was a 35 ft sailboiat following us a half mile back who stayed in the center. The freighter blew his horn at 10PM right next to us and we almost jumped out of the boat.

I have seen the lights of truck and they are confusing although those yellow vapor arc lights of the canal are bright.

dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
tmi
Fine, skip over it if you want. There is some interesting - and some infuriating - stuff in the links.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 01-28-2013

Quote:
...I have seen the lights of truck and they are confusing...
Maybe that's what happened to this guy. My buddy at work lives about a quarter mile away and the commotion woke him up.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Maybe that's what happened to this guy. My buddy at work lives about a quarter mile away and the commotion woke him up.

He looks like he lost an engoine and drifted over, No real damage from striking the side hard,

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-29-2013

Quote:
He looks like he lost an engoine and drifted over, No real damage from striking the side hard,
From my friend who lived nearby: He hit it at high speed (est. 25-30 kts). Witnesses said there was nobody at the helm - apparently he put on the autopilot and went below.

My friend went over to Summit North the next day to see the boat up on the hard. Huge hole in the hull.

Old 01-29-2013

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
From my friend who lived nearby: He hit it at high speed (est. 25-30 kts). Witnesses said there was nobody at the helm - apparently he put on the autopilot and went below.
On Autopilot in the C&D!?! You have to kidding me... I've seen pilot-less power boats on the Chester..but the C&D..?
Old 01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
On Autopilot in the C&D!?! You have to kidding me... I've seen pilot-less power boats on the Chester..but the C&D..?
[hijack]That was the speculation - not sure what the investigation revealed. There were witnesses who said they saw the boat speeding past, and could see nobody in the cockpit. But is was dark out (aside from the Canal's amber lights).

Obviously I was just joking about the guy getting confused by headlights along the service road.[/hijack]

Old 01-29-2013

Dark out going top speed of 30 in the Canal on autopilot.....and thats all the damage from hitting the rocks. I have seen 3 side of the boat in pictures and it looks like nothing. 30 mph and it only goes a little on the rocks

Something wrong with these facts.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 01-29-2013

Quote:
Dark out going top speed of 30 in the Canal on autopilot.....and thats all the damage from hitting the rocks. I have seen 3 side of the boat in pictures and it looks like nothing. 30 mph and it only goes a little on the rocks

Something wrong with these facts.
Since my friend pieced together the story from informal comments he heard from bystanders at the scene, it is very possible that facts are wrong or exaggerated.

However, do realize that the guy did not run head-on into the rocks. He veered over gradually into them.

My friend personally saw that boat on the hard at Summit North, and there was extensive damage to the part of the hull that you can't see in the pictures (because it's lying on the rocks). They had to attach a large sheet to patch over the hole so the boat could be towed without sinking. That's one of the reasons they had to wait until the next day to refloat.

Old 01-29-2013

Quote:
Since my friend pieced together the story from informal comments he heard from bystanders at the scene, it is very possible that facts are wrong or exaggerated.

However, do realize that the guy did not run head-on into the rocks. He veered over gradually into them.

My friend personally saw that boat on the hard at Summit North, and there was extensive damage to the part of the hull that you can't see in the pictures (because it's lying on the rocks). They had to attach a large sheet to patch over the hole so the boat could be towed without sinking. That's one of the reasons they had to wait until the next day to refloat.
At 30 mph hitting a jagged surface like rocks you dont exactly side over them I wouldnt think. And you wouldnt just puncture a hole in the hull.

I have see a PB sideswipe a bouy at 20 knots and there was extensive FG damage. Sounds like your friend got an embellished story.

The greatest danger we have found in the Canal are the go fast boats with no speed limit and flat water. They fly aorund the corners. Least you can usually here them coming and they dont throw wakes.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-