Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013

RichH will become famous soon enough
Re: Currents in the C&D Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post

I have been in the C&C Canal once at night when we saw a big ship ( lights and radar) and pulled to the side. There was a 35 ft sailboiat following us a half mile back who stayed in the center. The freighter blew his horn at 10PM right next to us and we almost jumped out of the boat.

I have seen the lights of truck and they are confusing although those yellow vapor arc lights of the canal are bright.

dave
Its VERY easy at night on the C&D to be fooled by oncoming LARGE ships because their running light are so much higher than the yellow vapor lights; and, because of the brightness of the vapor light, you wont see the running lights ... unless you continually look 'high'.
One good way to find/visualize such ships because of the glare is to watch for what appears to be 'missing' vapor lights, then look 'higher' for the running lights. The sodium vapor lights are continuous and regular with very few exceptions such as near the Rt 213 bridge at Chesapeake City, and the entrance to Summit North Marina ... otherwise they're quite regularly spaced.
Tow boats aren't a problem because their running lights are much closer to the water.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Bubble,

If you leave Cape May/ Cape Henlopen 2 hours before maximum ebb you will make it through the Canal to at least the Northeast/ Sassafras River riding the tide all the way. When are you thinking of doing this? ( date) I can give you more specific data.,

Chef,

I'm hoping for late Spring/early Summer while there's still some breeze. I'm not interested in "motoring around DelMarVa".

Failing that, end of Summer/early Autumn when the breeze picks back up.

With predominant winds from the South, I think I'd like to do a counter-clockwise trip so that my upwind work is in the Chesapeake, with lots of "bail out" points, and a downwind run out in the Atlantic. (Heading North).
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 01-31-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Thats a smart move. It is almost inevitable to motor the Delaware River and your are not allowed to sail the C&D Canal without motor assist.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-02-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Chef,

I'm hoping for late Spring/early Summer while there's still some breeze. I'm not interested in "motoring around DelMarVa".

Failing that, end of Summer/early Autumn when the breeze picks back up.

With predominant winds from the South, I think I'd like to do a counter-clockwise trip so that my upwind work is in the Chesapeake, with lots of "bail out" points, and a downwind run out in the Atlantic. (Heading North).
Keep us posted on your plans. I'm hoping this will be the year I tick this trip off my "want to do" list.

I too felt a CCW trip would offer the best chance of sailing. I'd be looking to do the trip in fairly compressed fashion. Not has hardcore as TGOR, but at least paying homage. Thinking an overnight down the bay for crew practice and depending on timing, maybe a stop before exiting the Chessy. For sure I'd plan a stop at Cape May to rest and wait for favorable tides headed up the Delaware. I'm not sure if my TM C36 can use the Cape May canal so thinking maybe I'd have to go the long way 'round.
Old 02-02-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
Keep us posted on your plans. I'm hoping this will be the year I tick this trip off my "want to do" list.

I too felt a CCW trip would offer the best chance of sailing. I'd be looking to do the trip in fairly compressed fashion. Not has hardcore as TGOR, but at least paying homage. Thinking an overnight down the bay for crew practice and depending on timing, maybe a stop before exiting the Chessy. For sure I'd plan a stop at Cape May to rest and wait for favorable tides headed up the Delaware. I'm not sure if my TM C36 can use the Cape May canal so thinking maybe I'd have to go the long way 'round.
CCW is smart as it gives you that 6.5-7 hours run up the Delaware tidal/ current advantage as the opposite was is 5.5 hrs, Plus you can generally ride it ride it through the C&D Canal.

Bridge is 55 ft at MLW in Canal. We are 53 without antaneea. Going around is about an extra 2 hours. You dont have to go far outside as there is a channel right off of the point. Have done this a number of times.

Coming in the Cape May inlet is like the Indy 500 and the Winternationals NHRA at the same time.

Dave
jameswilson29 likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 02-02-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-02-2013

Ulladh is on a distinguished road

Just to add to the complex predictions for tide/current at the C&D.

Yesterday 2/1/2013 the observed high and low at Reedy Point was 2ft below predicted high and low water levels.
Old 02-02-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
Just to add to the complex predictions for tide/current at the C&D.

Yesterday 2/1/2013 the observed high and low at Reedy Point was 2ft below predicted high and low water levels.
Similarly in Marcus Hook and Philly. My assumption is that the 20-30 kt NW winds blew the water out of the bay, and that effect drained the river upstream from the bay.

On the subject of C&D currents, I stumbled across this nice explanation of how to best time your passage. I haven't had time to calculate how it might change for our slower boats:

Chesapeake and Delaware Canal - Timing Your Passage

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 02-02-2013

Ulladh is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the link Rick.

I read the link and will re-read a few more times and will try this out for the early May trip from Cohansey to Chesapeake City.
Old 02-02-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
Thanks for the link Rick.

I read the link and will re-read a few more times and will try this out for the early May trip from Cohansey to Chesapeake City.
Yes, see how the timing works out. As I mentioned before, it might actually be better to do Cohansey to Delaware City (as you originally suggested), then on Sunday do a two-way trip to Chesapeake City for lunch and walking around town. We could all go for the day on one boat, or if you preferred to stay in Delaware City we could go ourselves and meet you back at Delaware City in the evening. I'm flexible on this, and the currents look like they might be running perfectly on Sunday for the two-way trip.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 02-04-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post

Palmetto-

My goal is a somewhat compressed timeframe as well. I'm not setting out to grind myself down, but I'm not trying to take 2 weeks either. I'm looking at stopping at Smith Island for historical sightseeing.

We could caravan, but you're 6' longer than me, and I might slow you down more than you'd like.

I'll send you a PM.
1973 Pearson 30 #255