Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Re: Currents in the C&D Canal

The chop on Egg Island Flats may only be a problem when the wind is in opposition to the current, going closer to the shipping channel would increase the fetch, going further into the shallow bay between the Maurice and Cape May west coast may not make any difference to conditions but add more distance. I would suggest adjusting your course and tack for comfort, unless the wind is 15 or 20+ with a southern component all day the chop will not last more than a few hours.

The Cape May Canal is a fraction of the length of the C&D so powering against the current does not have as great a time and fuel penalty. With my under-powered boat all I worry about is getting through the rock jetties and past the ferry terminal while keeping rudder control, close to slack is better for me, probably less of a problem for those with more power.

Slack before flood, or slack before ebb, both are good.
Old 02-04-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Cape May Canal you have top worry about the ferries as well as the shallow spot just past them where they have kicked up the sand and made articial shoals. Every other year they are usually dredging this area.

The open RR bridge almost at the end is a treat too, but easy to traverse.

dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I'm trying to talk my wife into taking our little boat down the Delaware River to Cape May for a week-long trip (this year or next year). If we time things right, I'm hoping to go two days each direction from Essington (stop off in Cohansey), and a few nights in Cape May. I assume Utsch's is the place to stay, right? Other recommendations?
Rick,

56 miles from Essington to Utsches. Would be worth it to go in one day. Much easier 1 day back also. That would give you five days in Cape May.
In your boat you will do probably 4.5 against and 7+ with the current.

The Cohanessey is really not a great place in my opinion. Having lived in South Jersey 18 years and fished out of there many times it is very buggy with greenheads and Mosquitos. It's surrounded by salt marshes. There is nothing to do there either. Sometimes the low tide marsh gas can hang really heavy in the AM with no wind a stinks major rotten eggs. If it were a destination place, more would se it as a stop over on the Delaware. Instead it's really a bailout place if you can't do the whole run or the wether gets crappy.

In all of our trips we have only detoured there one time and anchored near the mouth and it was a hot buggy experience. They forced us below where it was hot to stay behind the screens. It took an hour to kill the greenheads which had hidden in the setee cushions and head before we could comfortable sit without fear of attack from the carnivor flies. Major current flow also so devise a Kellet to prevent anchor wrap.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-05-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
...56 miles from Essington to Utsches...
56 miles as the crow flies. More like 74 miles following the river. I could stop in Delaware City for a night instead. Maybe the refinery fumes act as a bug repellant! lol

I'll have a better idea about Cohansey after our May 3 trip with Ulladh. Which bugs are active that time of year?

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 02-05-2013

Ulladh is on a distinguished road

The Delaware Bay can be approached as a place to endure and get through as quickly as possible, or experienced as a place sometimes unpleasant but rich in its own wild beauty.

Maybe with a faster boat I would pass through as quickly as possible but with a slow boat I have been forced to find the bliss of place.

Cohansey Cove and the entrance to the Cohansey is hellishly buggy, but further up river at Hancock Harbor it is no buggier than anywhere else. Martin houses at the marina are rich with well feed birds that swoop around the river edges from dawn to dusk.

Unless we get an early warming in April the green heads at the Cohansey entrance will not be too prolific in early May.

June, July and August is the worst for green heads, but by observing there preferred habitat and the birds that feast on them it is possible to minimize exposure to these skin slashing, blood sucking beasties. So far my preferred defense has been a zinc oxide/citronella sun screen, they land but leave without slashing.
Old 02-05-2013

It does have a wild beauty of its own I agree.

Our trip last year down the river August 10 we had zero green heads and it was delughtful. On our way Back Labor day weekend it was our worts bug trip ever in spite of it being our fastest trip to the Chessie ever.

On our boat we are armed with multiple fly swatters ( 8) The fkies were so bad that despite avon skin so soft we were forced to don thick sweatpants and jackets in 90 degree heat the greenies were biting so bad. The bit though cotton shorts. The drew blood everywhere the munched unless you killed them. At one polnt there were lkiterally 500 on the transome of our boat out of the wind adn 50 in the cockpit. As we fly swatted and killed them two at a time the reenforcements would take their place. This continued the whole 5 hour run up to the Canal when it ended. Our cockpit, combing, cabinhouse was covered in blood, flies and fly guts. My wife and I were countimng and we each had over 200 kills. THIS IS NO EXAGERATION There were two other boats traveling a slight distance of 8 miles behind us who had the same effect. One was XORT a larger CC Endevor and he had his enclosure comepletely shut up and still had some. When we got to the canal my wife washed out and sanitized our while cockpit after initially sweeping the flies up into 4 dustpans full.

Just go prepared with fly swatters, deet, skin so soft and patience.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 02-05-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Further, I love Cape May, N.J., and would spend as much time there as possible, however, if you really want to make a fast Delmarva circumnavigation, stop at the breakwater in Lewes/Cape Henlopen instead of crossing the Delaware Bay and head up from there.
Thanks for chiming in. I do want to make the trip somewhat of a timely fashion but ya' gotta stop and smell the roses somewhere.

The points you raised about the lack of decent stopping points between Solomons and Great Wicomico, is why I'm thinking an overnight the first day out of Herring Bay. If we felt the weather window looked good and the crew was in the groove, we could just keep on sailing out for the Atlantic leg. If not, it would be a daytime entrance to Kiptopeake (sp?) or Cape Charles. To wait for favorable weather or just rest.

Cape May would be a place I'd want to spend some time to check out if we do this trip. Once we're back in the Bay, we could arrange to offload any crew with time constraints and finish the trip at leisure.
jameswilson29 likes this.
Old 02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
Thanks for chiming in. I do want to make the trip somewhat of a timely fashion but ya' gotta stop and smell the roses somewhere.

The points you raised about the lack of decent stopping points between Solomons and Great Wicomico, is why I'm thinking an overnight the first day out of Herring Bay. If we felt the weather window looked good and the crew was in the groove, we could just keep on sailing out for the Atlantic leg. If not, it would be a daytime entrance to Kiptopeake (sp?) or Cape Charles. To wait for favorable weather or just rest.

Cape May would be a place I'd want to spend some time to check out if we do this trip. Once we're back in the Bay, we could arrange to offload any crew with time constraints and finish the trip at leisure.
Cape May....Utches is great and price too. If you decide to do this let me know I will give you the name of some upscale and family restaurants

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 02-07-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

I have not been to Cape May in a long time (even though it is only 40 miles away) I am glad to see that Utches is still there. My parents bought their Grampian there... about 30 years ago. Seemed like a nice marina then

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
I have not been to Cape May in a long time (even though it is only 40 miles away) I am glad to see that Utches is still there. My parents bought their Grampian there... about 30 years ago. Seemed like a nice marina then
I have known the family since the 80s when I lived in Ocean City. The kids now are in charge and running a good family operation. Really nice people.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-