Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Marinas-West/Rhode/South Rivers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Although it doesn't really fit our criteria, we really liked Chesapeake YC! What a beautiful property with a amazing view...too bad its out of our price range . Anyone looking for a yacht club, you should check CYC out.

Hey Solare...you get me half off and I'm there! bawahahaha
We also looked at and like Chesapeake Yacht Club. Great place. Formal dress in the one dining room, pool only open from Fri- Sun influenced our decision. They were also the priciest YC on the Bay. Also proximity to our home was a small but final factor

We sometimes dock there when we go to the West as we have a reciprocal yacht club agreement with them and it costs us $25. The reciprocal agreements re great for us when we chose to get a slip. We have stayed at CYC, Kent Island YC and Baltinore Yacht Club (Sue Creek) for next to nothing. We don't take a slip often, but joing a YC has some advantages.

One of the advantages of it was there was an anchorage area.

A big part of our decision was also to be on a River we could sail on if the eweather was too crazy on the Bay. It pretty much honed us in on Severn, Magothy, and Patapsco. Have you looked on Magothy or Severn?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 02-13-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
I have not bothered to look on the Severn thinking its beyond our price range. I did explore some places on the Magothy, most are high priced or cannot take a boat with LOA of 43' A good friend is a member of PSA, great club but I'm not interested in a mooring only at this point, to many on going boat projects North Shore Marina on broad creek doesn't have a online contact but I will try to reach them.

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Old 02-13-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Hoilday Hill is a bit pricey?? Are you sure you're talking about the same Holiday Hill that I was just at? Calawasse Road?

Dude, I was paying $400/month to liveaboard for a 30 footer!
It's true that the amenities are sparse, but they're still the cheapest place in the area except for Liberty Marina which is just not a nice place.

Free Wi-Fi, water and electricity, a 10 minute motor to the "raise sails" point.

What kind of amenities are you looking for?
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 02-13-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
bubble, Ralph quoted me prices ranging from 3400 to 5500 a year. it's a great spot well taking care of Marina but price is over 4000 for that marina seen a bit high when compared to some others I've looked at in that area. perhaps I just haven't gathered enough information yet

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Old 02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Hoilday Hill is a bit pricey?? Are you sure you're talking about the same Holiday Hill that I was just at? Calawasse Road?

Dude, I was paying $400/month to liveaboard for a 30 footer!
It's true that the amenities are sparse, but they're still the cheapest place in the area except for Liberty Marina which is just not a nice place.

Free Wi-Fi, water and electricity, a 10 minute motor to the "raise sails" point.

What kind of amenities are you looking for?
$4800 a year is not bad for your area. What size slip?

Shawn,

I know you are looking to maybe reloacate to sail another area, and that may be driving your search, but just thought Id throw the MYC prices at you in case you arent finding prices to your liking elseware. Also for others who are looking

Just as a comparable- MYC
40 ft slip X 14 ft + yearly membership= $4100
50 ft slip X 15 ft + yearly membership= $4500
60 ft slip X 16 ft + yearly membership= $4900
Wide safe piers, finger piers are all at least 35 ft alongside your boat
360 Hurricane Hole, Close to stores and West Marine
Quiet tranquil tree lined setting with 120 slips

2 minutes to setting your sails or dropping them
Ability to sail the wide river on extreme windy days on the Bay
4 hours to many of the best anchorages on the Chessie including Rock Hall, Chester River, Annapolis, Magaothy in the Middle Chessie and nettle free swiming at Worton, Still Pond, Middle River and Sassafras in the northern Chessie

Includes Pool, restaurant, 8 acres, Pavillion, BBQ pits, Fuel dock with discount, Portable and regular pump out, playground for kids, paved parking, Reciprocity yacht club rate for transient slips at all Yacht Clubs on the Chessie and even some in New England, Not a working club so hours are not required

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-13-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Shawn,

If HHS is the closest place to your house but you are looking for something less flashy and lower priced, you should expand your search area to include HHN (unless you're already ruled it out on price) and Shipwright Harbor. HHN is somewhat less than HHS, the boatyard and West Marine are right there and the pool is arguably nicer than at South.

Shipwright is, shall we say, "rustic" in comparison to either HHN or HHS, but we find we're happier there than while based at HHS. They have small but decent pool that is never crowded (unlike HHS which was ALWAYS crowded) and there is a nice picnic area for cooking or hanging out off the boat. The docks are just OK and finger piers are shorter than I'd like. However, I'll take the easy entrance/exit to my short fingerpiered dock over having to fight my way in/out to my full lenghth finger piered dock at HHS. Also, many slips have easy shoreside access to the bath house and parking so, loading is less hassle as is a call to the head.

You do have to deal with Long Bar to get out to the Bay, but its open enough that you can be sailing shortly after exiting Rockhold Creek, and with your draft, you have the option to cut the bar if heading toward West River, Annapolis or points north, at least on a high tide.

Your T37 would need the same sized slip as my boat so if you pay annually and get the 10% discount you'd be around $3800/yr.
T37Chef likes this.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 02-13-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-13-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
$4800 a year is not bad for your area. What size slip?

Shawn,

I know you are looking to maybe reloacate to sail another area, and that may be driving your search, but just thought Id throw the MYC prices at you in case you arent finding prices to your liking elseware. Also for others who are looking

Just as a comparable- MYC
40 ft slip X 14 ft + yearly membership= $4100
50 ft slip X 15 ft + yearly membership= $4500
60 ft slip X 16 ft + yearly membership= $4900
Wide safe piers, finger piers are all at least 35 ft alongside your boat
360 Hurricane Hole, Close to stores and West Marine
Quiet tranquil tree lined setting with 120 slips

2 minutes to setting your sails or dropping them
Ability to sail the wide river on extreme windy days on the Bay
4 hours to many of the best anchorages on the Chessie including Rock Hall, Chester River, Annapolis, Magaothy in the Middle Chessie and nettle free swiming at Worton, Still Pond, Middle River and Sassafras in the northern Chessie

Includes Pool, restaurant, 8 acres, Pavillion, BBQ pits, Fuel dock with discount, Portable and regular pump out, playground for kids, paved parking, Reciprocity yacht club rate for transient slips at all Yacht Clubs on the Chessie and even some in New England, Not a working club so hours are not required
I'm not in the market for a yacht club at this juncture, but just for our edification could you share what percentage of MYC is sail vs. Power?

I know the answer for the other yacht club in this thread and its one reason I ruled out membership.
Old 02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
I'm not in the market for a yacht club at this juncture, but just for our edification could you share what percentage of MYC is sail vs. Power?

I know the answer for the other yacht club in this thread and its one reason I ruled out membership.
We have 54 sailboats and 42 powerboats at this time. We have two sailboats less than 30 ft and most are in the 35-45 ft range. over 50 with a 62 ft Sundeer that did the ARC two years ago.

The depth of our slips except for the two closest to the shore is 9-13 ft MLW

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 02-13-2013
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road

I looked at two slips at West River Yacht Club this weekend - both on the C pier (51 and 57). They were $3,500 and $3,200 respectively. The first might be a tad small for you but the second was a 45 ft slip.

Holiday Hill was pricey at $4,600, I thought. But the owner said he could give me a real good deal - but never said what it was which I found a little annoying. I'm looking for a boat slip, not a used car.

I called about a slip at Liberty Marina. It was $3,272 and Londontowne Marina also has one for $3,700.
Old 02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklaus View Post
I looked at two slips at West River Yacht Club this weekend - both on the C pier (51 and 57). They were $3,500 and $3,200 respectively. The first might be a tad small for you but the second was a 45 ft slip.

Holiday Hill was pricey at $4,600, I thought. But the owner said he could give me a real good deal - but never said what it was which I found a little annoying. I'm looking for a boat slip, not a used car.

I called about a slip at Liberty Marina. It was $3,272 and Londontowne Marina also has one for $3,700.
Is there a Membership fee in addition to the slips fees at the West River Yacht Club

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.