SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Marinas-West/Rhode/South Rivers?

4K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  Ajax_MD 
#1 · (Edited)
We're exploring a new home for our boat somewhere on the West, Rhode, or South Rivers. We narrowed the list down to a few that seem like they would be a good fit. I would appreciate any feedback...

- Holiday Point Marina, South River: appears to be a full service working marina with nice docks, and quick access to the bay. My primary concern is it looks like it may be a bit exposed to weather from the North?

- Holiday Hills Marina, Rhode River: nice family owned, pleasant grounds, great views and appears to well protected. Somewhat pricey for what you get though?

- Hartge Yacht Harbor, West River: great spot, well protected, complete full service marina with a stellar reputation, a bit beyond our budget.

Any others we should consider that would meet some of our criteria below?
- Budget $3500-$4000 +/-
- Prefer a working marina with haul out
- Prefer a long cat walk/finger pier for safer access to boat

#3 ·
Have you looked at the Blue Water Marina & Railroad?
At the end of Carr's Wharf Landing Rd. I believe.
Fairly rustic as it is (or used to be) a working crabbing operation.
Price should be reasonable although they redid all their docks a few years ago and their rates went up.
Well protected.
Talk to either "Chili" (aka Charles) or Chili's brothers wife. The brother who is the crabber does not say much.

#5 ·
Hey, excited to see that you're going to be over in our part of the Bay! Hoping to have more opportunities to sail / raft together while you're here!

#6 · (Edited)
Shawn,

Quit messing around and go to Herrington South. It's the closest from your house, is extremely well managed/maintained and has the amenities your girls are going to demand as they grow up. I'll even get you pre-approved for "O" dock, where the cool people are ;)

Reactions: T37Chef
#7 ·
Shawn,

Quit messing around and go to Herrington South. It's the closest from your house, is extremely well managed/maintained and has the amenities your girls are going to demand as they grow up. I'll even get you pre-approved for "O" dock, where the cool people are ;)
Herrington is a really nice place. Its at the top of our list too should we ever tire of where we are and want to do so more sailing in the South Part of the Bay ( Solomons and beyond). Great pool and nice sailing community.

What is the slip cost/ ft? What is the cost for a 40-44 ft slip or close to that.
Are there any other fees? Is the slip rental for the whole year?

#8 ·
Although it doesn't really fit our criteria, we really liked Chesapeake YC! What a beautiful property with a amazing view...too bad its out of our price range :). Anyone looking for a yacht club, you should check CYC out.

Hey Solare...you get me half off and I'm there! bawahahaha

#11 · (Edited)
We also looked at and like Chesapeake Yacht Club. Great place. Formal dress in the one dining room, pool only open from Fri- Sun influenced our decision. They were also the priciest YC on the Bay. Also proximity to our home was a small but final factor

We sometimes dock there when we go to the West as we have a reciprocal yacht club agreement with them and it costs us $25. The reciprocal agreements re great for us when we chose to get a slip. We have stayed at CYC, Kent Island YC and Baltinore Yacht Club (Sue Creek) for next to nothing. We don't take a slip often, but joing a YC has some advantages.

One of the advantages of it was there was an anchorage area.

A big part of our decision was also to be on a River we could sail on if the eweather was too crazy on the Bay. It pretty much honed us in on Severn, Magothy, and Patapsco. Have you looked on Magothy or Severn?

#10 ·
I'm paying $5400 on a 12 month lease for a 40' slip, all inclusive except electricity. The amenities are bar none, the community is great and the yard at HHN is the best run operation I've encountered in the 30 some years I've been dealing with yards. (Other than Hinckley in Portsmouth, RI)

The marina pretty much has a slipholder event every weekend during the season, from breakfasts, cocktail partys to full blown catered dinners w/ bands & free booze not to mention the amazing 4th of July celebration.

Best of all it's 50 minutes from Tysons, and 5 minutes to open water. Annapolis, St Michales, Oxford, the Rhode are all less than 25 miles away.

(I have zero business interest in the operation, other than being a satisfied customer)

Reactions: T37Chef
#12 ·
I have not bothered to look on the Severn thinking its beyond our price range. I did explore some places on the Magothy, most are high priced or cannot take a boat with LOA of 43' A good friend is a member of PSA, great club but I'm not interested in a mooring only at this point, to many on going boat projects ;) North Shore Marina on broad creek doesn't have a online contact but I will try to reach them.

#13 ·
Hoilday Hill is a bit pricey?? Are you sure you're talking about the same Holiday Hill that I was just at? Calawasse Road?

Dude, I was paying $400/month to liveaboard for a 30 footer!
It's true that the amenities are sparse, but they're still the cheapest place in the area except for Liberty Marina which is just not a nice place.

Free Wi-Fi, water and electricity, a 10 minute motor to the "raise sails" point.

What kind of amenities are you looking for?

#15 ·
$4800 a year is not bad for your area. What size slip?

Shawn,

I know you are looking to maybe reloacate to sail another area, and that may be driving your search, but just thought Id throw the MYC prices at you in case you arent finding prices to your liking elseware. Also for others who are looking

Just as a comparable- MYC
40 ft slip X 14 ft + yearly membership= $4100
50 ft slip X 15 ft + yearly membership= $4500
60 ft slip X 16 ft + yearly membership= $4900
Wide safe piers, finger piers are all at least 35 ft alongside your boat
360 Hurricane Hole, Close to stores and West Marine
Quiet tranquil tree lined setting with 120 slips

2 minutes to setting your sails or dropping them
Ability to sail the wide river on extreme windy days on the Bay
4 hours to many of the best anchorages on the Chessie including Rock Hall, Chester River, Annapolis, Magaothy in the Middle Chessie and nettle free swiming at Worton, Still Pond, Middle River and Sassafras in the northern Chessie

Includes Pool, restaurant, 8 acres, Pavillion, BBQ pits, Fuel dock with discount, Portable and regular pump out, playground for kids, paved parking, Reciprocity yacht club rate for transient slips at all Yacht Clubs on the Chessie and even some in New England, Not a working club so hours are not required

#14 ·
bubble, Ralph quoted me prices ranging from 3400 to 5500 a year. it's a great spot well taking care of Marina but price is over 4000 for that marina seen a bit high when compared to some others I've looked at in that area. perhaps I just haven't gathered enough information yet

#16 · (Edited)
Shawn,

If HHS is the closest place to your house but you are looking for something less flashy and lower priced, you should expand your search area to include HHN (unless you're already ruled it out on price) and Shipwright Harbor. HHN is somewhat less than HHS, the boatyard and West Marine are right there and the pool is arguably nicer than at South.

Shipwright is, shall we say, "rustic" in comparison to either HHN or HHS, but we find we're happier there than while based at HHS. They have small but decent pool that is never crowded (unlike HHS which was ALWAYS crowded) and there is a nice picnic area for cooking or hanging out off the boat. The docks are just OK and finger piers are shorter than I'd like. However, I'll take the easy entrance/exit to my short fingerpiered dock over having to fight my way in/out to my full lenghth finger piered dock at HHS. Also, many slips have easy shoreside access to the bath house and parking so, loading is less hassle as is a call to the head.

You do have to deal with Long Bar to get out to the Bay, but its open enough that you can be sailing shortly after exiting Rockhold Creek, and with your draft, you have the option to cut the bar if heading toward West River, Annapolis or points north, at least on a high tide.

Your T37 would need the same sized slip as my boat so if you pay annually and get the 10% discount you'd be around $3800/yr.

#19 ·
I looked at two slips at West River Yacht Club this weekend - both on the C pier (51 and 57). They were $3,500 and $3,200 respectively. The first might be a tad small for you but the second was a 45 ft slip.

Holiday Hill was pricey at $4,600, I thought. But the owner said he could give me a real good deal - but never said what it was which I found a little annoying. I'm looking for a boat slip, not a used car.

I called about a slip at Liberty Marina. It was $3,272 and Londontowne Marina also has one for $3,700.

#24 ·
I'll second or third both Lapworth and Bubblehead.

My friend kept his 32' sailboat at Blue Water for many years because it was the cheapest place he could find. There is no pool and no shower but you can always wash off in the Rhode River or the Bay.

They rebuilt the docks at Blue Water and raised the rates somewhat. My friend found a boat partner who had bought a house on a creek just north of Annapolis that has a dock. He now keeps the sailboat there and I'd be surprised if he pays more than $1K per year to keep the boat at his friends dock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.