SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Marinas-West/Rhode/South Rivers? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/96560-marinas-west-rhode-south-rivers.html)

T37Chef 02-11-2013 08:52 PM

Marinas-West/Rhode/South Rivers?

We're exploring a new home for our boat somewhere on the West, Rhode, or South Rivers. We narrowed the list down to a few that seem like they would be a good fit. I would appreciate any feedback...

- Holiday Point Marina, South River: appears to be a full service working marina with nice docks, and quick access to the bay. My primary concern is it looks like it may be a bit exposed to weather from the North?

- Holiday Hills Marina, Rhode River: nice family owned, pleasant grounds, great views and appears to well protected. Somewhat pricey for what you get though?

- Hartge Yacht Harbor, West River: great spot, well protected, complete full service marina with a stellar reputation, a bit beyond our budget.

Any others we should consider that would meet some of our criteria below?
- Budget $3500-$4000 +/-
- Prefer a working marina with haul out
- Prefer a long cat walk/finger pier for safer access to boat

jsaronson 02-11-2013 09:59 PM

Re: Marinas-West/Rhode/South Rivers?

West River Yacht club members rent out slips. Prices vary. Check craigslist. There was a slip listed this week. They have a lift, etc.

CalebD 02-11-2013 11:15 PM

Have you looked at the Blue Water Marina & Railroad?
At the end of Carr's Wharf Landing Rd. I believe.
Fairly rustic as it is (or used to be) a working crabbing operation.
Price should be reasonable although they redid all their docks a few years ago and their rates went up.
Well protected.
Talk to either "Chili" (aka Charles) or Chili's brothers wife. The brother who is the crabber does not say much.

T37Chef 02-12-2013 06:58 PM

I will check them out, thanks for the suggestions

wingNwing 02-12-2013 07:01 PM

Hey, excited to see that you're going to be over in our part of the Bay! Hoping to have more opportunities to sail / raft together while you're here!

T37SOLARE 02-12-2013 07:09 PM

Shawn,

Quit messing around and go to Herrington South. It's the closest from your house, is extremely well managed/maintained and has the amenities your girls are going to demand as they grow up. I'll even get you pre-approved for "O" dock, where the cool people are ;)

chef2sail 02-12-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T37SOLARE (Post 989298)
Shawn,

Quit messing around and go to Herrington South. It's the closest from your house, is extremely well managed/maintained and has the amenities your girls are going to demand as they grow up. I'll even get you pre-approved for "O" dock, where the cool people are ;)

Herrington is a really nice place. Its at the top of our list too should we ever tire of where we are and want to do so more sailing in the South Part of the Bay ( Solomons and beyond). Great pool and nice sailing community.

What is the slip cost/ ft? What is the cost for a 40-44 ft slip or close to that.
Are there any other fees? Is the slip rental for the whole year?

T37Chef 02-12-2013 08:53 PM

Although it doesn't really fit our criteria, we really liked Chesapeake YC! What a beautiful property with a amazing view...too bad its out of our price range :). Anyone looking for a yacht club, you should check CYC out.

Hey Solare...you get me half off and I'm there! bawahahaha

T37Chef 02-12-2013 08:57 PM

CalebD...got a call back from Bluewater, going to check it out sometime this week, thanks for the tip. I am really interested in hearing from.anyone who has kept their boat at Holiday Point Marina.

T37SOLARE 02-12-2013 09:09 PM

I'm paying $5400 on a 12 month lease for a 40' slip, all inclusive except electricity. The amenities are bar none, the community is great and the yard at HHN is the best run operation I've encountered in the 30 some years I've been dealing with yards. (Other than Hinckley in Portsmouth, RI)

The marina pretty much has a slipholder event every weekend during the season, from breakfasts, cocktail partys to full blown catered dinners w/ bands & free booze not to mention the amazing 4th of July celebration.

Best of all it's 50 minutes from Tysons, and 5 minutes to open water. Annapolis, St Michales, Oxford, the Rhode are all less than 25 miles away.

(I have zero business interest in the operation, other than being a satisfied customer)