Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Ready To Go Back In?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Looks good Rick

I didnt realize you dont have gunnels and that you lifelines are essentially on the coachroof. Your jackline (s) when you put them in if you follow the lifelines actually will almost be centerline to the boat like I was taught.

Most sailboats stachions and lifelines arent configured like yours. I understand your set up now.

Dave
Yeah, now you can see why I was being so resistant to the center jackline. The C250 is a very different boat from the C25. The lack of side decks is nice for interior space, but makes for some challenges going forward.

It's only 30" from the mast to each chainplate. It's so narrow up there that a jackline down the center would be too close to the side. You'd need such a short tether that you could never stand up. I still need to try it out to confirm, but I think it will be much better to decide what side of the boat I need to work on, clip a ~6' tether to the farthest jackline, and a 3' tether to the closest one. That way I can work sitting or on my knees, and I'm kept pretty close to the cabin roof no matter which way I fall.

I also plan to put a short 3' tether on the gooseneck (or maybe beef up my whisker pole padeye with a large steel one) which I'll clip on if I need to stand up at the mast. By clipping on further up, I'll be able to stand with a short enough tether that I can't fall overboard. It will be short enough that I won't even hit the deck, though my ribs would get a good shot from the mast if I fell. So maybe a traditional Type III would provide better padding in that situation. I've got a couple really nice neoprene ones for waterskiing, and we always have them on the boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 03-26-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

I like the "shark gray" anti-fouling paint. I put this on my boat as well, and it's great for indicating when the bottom needs a wipe down. It also looks very sporty, especially with my red stripes.

My Coronado 25 also had the cabin pushed out to the same width as the hull, so there were no side decks, same as your boat. Yes, it gave the Coronado more interior volume than many other boats of the same length, but Frank Butler (or whoever designed the interior) totally squandered that volume with a huge, fiberglass cabin liner and a terrible galley/dinnette layout. It was a real shame, and one reason why I sold the boat to get the Pearson 30.

Being on the cabin top really puts you "out there". I do appreciate my side decks now.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 03-26-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Bubble,

It was one of my deal breakers with every boat I look at no matter which size. If it isnt safe/ easy to walk up the gunwhale and work on the deck it goes off the list. It isnt a functions of size either. Youd be suprised how many 35-40 Ffts have very little walking room let alone foot placement or you have to squeeze or go outside the shrouds. My friends 3 year old Hunter 38 falls into this category. It is awkward leading his cockpit going forward.

The first indication is the lack of sensible egress out of the cockpit and the first step. Do you have to squeeze by the coachroof?

A stable platform makes all the difference in the world when it comes to safety

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-26-2013

Quote:
Bubble,

It was one of my deal breakers with every boat I look at no matter which size. If it isnt safe/ easy to walk up the gunwhale and work on the deck it goes off the list. It isnt a functions of size either. Youd be suprised how many 35-40 Ffts have very little walking room let alone foot placement or you have to squeeze or go outside the shrouds. My friends 3 year old Hunter 38 falls into this category. It is awkward leading his cockpit going forward.

The first indication is the lack of sensible egress out of the cockpit and the first step. Do you have to squeeze by the coachroof?

A stable platform makes all the difference in the world when it comes to safety
I had a similar concern and made the opposite conclusion. For a 25 foot boat, the side decks are so narrow that they're practically worthless, so might as well get rid of them and have a wider coach roof (which is what they did on the C250). Yes, the initial step up is a little higher, but there's a nice handrail there to stabilize the step up.

In a larger boat, I would also demand wide comfortable side decks.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 03-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I had a similar concern and made the opposite conclusion. For a 25 foot boat, the side decks are so narrow that they're practically worthless, so might as well get rid of them and have a wider coach roof (which is what they did on the C250). Yes, the initial step up is a little higher, but there's a nice handrail there to stabilize the step up.

In a larger boat, I would also demand wide comfortable side decks.
Im not surpised you disagree with me.

It has nothing to do with the 25 ft boat. Listed below are popular 25 ft designs ( I didnt even look smaller or large boats just the 25) and could find no design like the Catalinas. In fact the earlier Catalina design is like all the other boats.

I wouldnt call all the other 25 designs worthless at all....more like tried and true. All coachroofs have handrails.

To me its safer to walk forward up the gunwhale leaning to the center of the boat holding the grabrail...(.lower center of gravity than the coachroof) It looks to me on the current Catalina 25 foot design you are forced to pull yourself up to the coachroof by the lifeline. So you stand on the bench in the cockpit and have a very large step up to the roof. so you get yourself to the coachroof and go forward holding on to what the lifeline? The handrails are at your feet? If you are on the leeward side, the boom must be in your way, whereas if there was a gunwhale you could duck under it. So if your jibsheet gets hung on a midship track cleat on the leeward side, how to you get to it?

Here are a smattering of other 25 ft boats with
Quote:
"practically worthless
gunwhales"

View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

1984 Beneteau First 24 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1981 C & C 25 Sloop with trailer Sail Boat For Sale

1981 CAL 25 MK II Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-26-2013

Quote:
Im not surpised you disagree with me....
Dave - I do not disagree with you. I was agreeing with your comment where you said you would not consider boats with inadequate side decks and/or shrouds that interfered with foredeck access. I also did not say it was about boat size, although I walked around on a lot of boats that were in the 25-26 foot range.

I initially had concerns about the C250's lack of side decks, but those concerns were alleviated after I climbed onto the cabin top (no problem for me making the step) and compared it to the cramped side decks on other boats that I had looked at. I decided that for me, having a wider coach roof was a better use of space than a narrow side deck. And it did make for a much more comfortable cabin, with space for a walk-in head, decent little galley, and comfortable settees and dinette.

I am very aware that most 25 footers have side decks, although there are a few models out there that don't, including the C250.

I do not need to pull myself up on the lifeline. I don't usually go up the leeward side - I'll go up the windward side and walk around the mast if I need to get to leeward. I'm not really sure because I've never had enough problem to think much about it, but if the boat is heeling and close-hauled, I probably put my hand on the boom for a little support. If the weather's really stink, I just sit down and crawl up. I just don't know because it has always worked naturally for me. With all of my lines running aft, I don't often go up forward, except maybe to put out the whisker pole, where I walk up the windward side and then around the mast like I mentioned, but of course then I'm running or on a broad reach, so not much heel.

I don't recall ever getting my jibsheet hung up on my midship cleat, but occasional fouling of the jib track is easily reached by sliding the companionway hatch forward, standing halfway up the companionway ladder, and reaching forward from there without even getting on the roof. You'd be surprised how much you can reach from there.

I think it's a mis-characterization of my comments to link Yachtworld listings of boats that you have selected, and then try to make it look like I said they are "practially worthless." If that's what you think, then speak for yourself. I was just giving the conclusion that I drew with respect to my own boat while I was shopping, and which I obviously decided to purchase and have been very happy with. I was not looking to diss anyone else's boat, since stuff like that is poor style up here.

This conversation has gotten off-topic and is not longer productive, so this is that last that I will say about side decks on this thread.

Back to the original topic: As you can see by the pics I posted, my white bottom paint looks very nice, my mast is up (but nowhere close to tuned), and my boat is almost ready to go back in. I hope everyone else here is happy with the progress they're making too. We're fortunate in Philly that we've had no snow accumulation that lasted more than a few hours all winter.

Old 03-27-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

To get back on topic-

Yesterday, I de-winterized and ran the engine against the docklines for 15-20 minutes. A few minor hiccups that were easily corrected.

If I clean the cabin and stow for sea, I can sail.
T37Chef likes this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 03-27-2013

flandria is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to flandria

Good for you. Up here at Georgian Bay we are still waiting for the snow to melt and the cover to come off the boat before we can get serious about anything... Looks like at least one more week before that (and even then, it still is kind of cold...)
Old 03-27-2013

Quote:
I think it's a mis-characterization of my comments to link Yachtworld listings of boats that you have selected, and then try to make it look like I said they are "practially worthless." I was not looking to diss anyone else's boat, since stuff like that is poor style up here- TakeFive
With due respect this is exactly what you said. Your words practically worthless are yours not mine. Here is what you said

Quote:
I had a similar concern and made the opposite conclusion. For a 25 foot boat, the side decks are so narrow that they're practically worthless, so might as well get rid of them and have a wider coach roof (which is what they did on the C250)-Takefive.
IMHO That could be construed as dissing someone who bought a boat with side decks on a 25 footer. Its exactly why I reacted.

I apoligize for bringing another threads contents into this one ( the one where we were discussing jackline placement)

Back to our regularly scheduled program.

Looks like we may have some company on the Bay this weekend as many are splashing this week. Weather looks like it may start warming up long term
Hopefully that little nighmare yesterday of snow ( we got 6 inches and its almost gone already) is the last throes of the winter. We need March to go out like a lamb so everyone else cathes up and get in the water.

I may be helping another SN bring his new to him boat to Cape May/ Atlantic City/ Barneget Bay this weekend if its is fixed up as it had engine troubles. If not we will be out sailing on the Patapsco on Saturday.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 03-27-2013

4arch is on a distinguished road

Dave,

If you're out in the Patapsco on Saturday wave toward Old Bay as I'm sure Sharon and I will be there working our fingers to the bone to make our splash date for late next week. Fair winds!
chef2sail likes this.