SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Ready To Go Back In?

12K views 111 replies 21 participants last post by  PalmettoSailor 
#1 ·
We received notice by the yard to be ready to go in by April 1st. I guess its time to get hustling. I received my bottom paint this week from defender so as soon as the weather breaks for a few days I will turn myself into a smurf. I also received our new Honda eu2000i generator and have it's propane conversion kit ordered. I need to change the boat's name and go through my check off list for launch. I will of course address whatever the Winter gremlins may have done. Tomorrow I'll go down and charge the batteries with the new gen. THIS IS WHAT I LOVE!:D

#88 ·
At work we are teaching a whole new Lock Out Tag Out procedure to almost 700 people, they want this done by May 1st. Most of my Saturdays could very well be tanked until then. Hopefully I can take off during the week if there are any holes in my training schedule. I think after this is all over and the boat is in the water I might need a small vacation, I joked in an email to my wife about going to Jamaica, she emailed me back stating she'd pack and meet me at the airport...I may consider this.

#89 ·
These are stored on Facebook, so not sure they'll show up here unless you're logged into your account:

First pic is before painting, with the sanded bottom and masked boot stripe:

The second pic is after applying new bottom paint. Also note that I raised the mast:

#90 · (Edited)
Looks good Rick

I didnt realize you dont have gunnels and that you lifelines are essentially on the coachroof. Your jackline (s) when you put them in if you follow the lifelines actually will almost be centerline to the boat like I was taught.

Most sailboats stachions and lifelines arent configured like yours. I understand your set up now.

Dave

#92 ·
I like the "shark gray" anti-fouling paint. I put this on my boat as well, and it's great for indicating when the bottom needs a wipe down. It also looks very sporty, especially with my red stripes.

My Coronado 25 also had the cabin pushed out to the same width as the hull, so there were no side decks, same as your boat. Yes, it gave the Coronado more interior volume than many other boats of the same length, but Frank Butler (or whoever designed the interior) totally squandered that volume with a huge, fiberglass cabin liner and a terrible galley/dinnette layout. It was a real shame, and one reason why I sold the boat to get the Pearson 30.

Being on the cabin top really puts you "out there". I do appreciate my side decks now.

#93 ·
Bubble,

It was one of my deal breakers with every boat I look at no matter which size. If it isnt safe/ easy to walk up the gunwhale and work on the deck it goes off the list. It isnt a functions of size either. Youd be suprised how many 35-40 Ffts have very little walking room let alone foot placement or you have to squeeze or go outside the shrouds. My friends 3 year old Hunter 38 falls into this category. It is awkward leading his cockpit going forward.

The first indication is the lack of sensible egress out of the cockpit and the first step. Do you have to squeeze by the coachroof?

A stable platform makes all the difference in the world when it comes to safety

#94 ·
I had a similar concern and made the opposite conclusion. For a 25 foot boat, the side decks are so narrow that they're practically worthless, so might as well get rid of them and have a wider coach roof (which is what they did on the C250). Yes, the initial step up is a little higher, but there's a nice handrail there to stabilize the step up.

In a larger boat, I would also demand wide comfortable side decks.

#99 ·
I think it's a mis-characterization of my comments to link Yachtworld listings of boats that you have selected, and then try to make it look like I said they are "practially worthless." I was not looking to diss anyone else's boat, since stuff like that is poor style up here- TakeFive
With due respect this is exactly what you said. Your words practically worthless are yours not mine. Here is what you said

I had a similar concern and made the opposite conclusion. For a 25 foot boat, the side decks are so narrow that they're practically worthless, so might as well get rid of them and have a wider coach roof (which is what they did on the C250)-Takefive.
IMHO That could be construed as dissing someone who bought a boat with side decks on a 25 footer. Its exactly why I reacted.

I apoligize for bringing another threads contents into this one ( the one where we were discussing jackline placement)

Back to our regularly scheduled program.

Looks like we may have some company on the Bay this weekend as many are splashing this week. Weather looks like it may start warming up long term
Hopefully that little nighmare yesterday of snow ( we got 6 inches and its almost gone already) is the last throes of the winter. We need March to go out like a lamb so everyone else cathes up and get in the water.

I may be helping another SN bring his new to him boat to Cape May/ Atlantic City/ Barneget Bay this weekend if its is fixed up as it had engine troubles. If not we will be out sailing on the Patapsco on Saturday.

Dave

#101 · (Edited)
Latest & greatest on Windgeist...
- Autostream prop is fitted & polished, ready to be painted with Pettit Zinc Barrier Coat
- Racor Fuel Conditioning unit plumed & wired in, ready for use
- Fuel & tank to be cleaned tomorrow
- all new bilge hoses run, one manual, one large 3700 "emegency" pump, one small 1000 maint pump
- Final engine install item to completed by Friday, including engine panel & heat exchanger hoses
- in the middle of rebedding cowl vent guards, should be completed by EOD Thursday
- Pedestal was powder coated and I did both the rebuild kits, should be ready to install it Saturday and hook up cables/chain to the quadrant
- Rudder is back on, needs faring strips and its complete
- Bottom paint this weekend
- Wax haul next week
- Splash hopefully next Friday, April 5th

Two plus years in the making, I'm not sure I could be more excited to start the season :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

#103 ·
yes, unfortunately the boat has been on the hard for over 2 years... long story short... the initial intent was to do a overhaul on the old engine but I determined that the money and time spent was not worth it. therefore we chose to wait save some money and buy a new engine, which we did at the Annapolis Boat Show last fall. my time has been limited until recently as we are trying to get our house on the market

#104 ·
I worked my fingers to the bone over the weekend but I am ready! I put on the last three barrier coats Friday morning, Friday afternoon, and Saturday morning. I worked on the boot stripe between barrier coats Friday and my wife and I waxed the hull between coats Saturday. The first coat of Ultima 60 bottom paint went on Saturday afternoon and the second coat Sunday morning. I took Sunday afternoon off for Easter (and the rain) but went back tonight to put the finishing touches on the boot stripe. Between the time the boat was soda blasted in mid-February and now it’s been an absolutely grueling several weekends of work (of the variety I don’t particularly enjoy) but the bottom looks awesome. The plan is to splash one night this week or Saturday morning, depending on weather. I can’t wait!

Once she’s back in, I have a few more winter projects to finish up. The cockpit and interior tables are at home to be refinished. I put a new thru-hull in for a larger bilge pump hose while hauled out but never got around to connecting the new hose. I also tore the dry rotted vinyl liners out of most of the interior cabinets and started replacing them with reflectix. Just need to finish those projects up in the next couple of weeks.

As a side note, in some discussions of the Ultima 60 it was mentioned that it might be thicker than the average bottom paint and therefore harder to apply. I didn’t find it any thicker or harder to apply than any other bottom paint I’ve used in the past. If anything, it was easier to apply than the paint I used last time around. Maybe the formula has been improved? So far the only negative of the Ultima is that the blue is a dark navy/teal while most of the other blue bottom paints I’ve seen/used are more similar to the Sunbrella “Pacific Blue” shade.

#108 ·
As a side note, in some discussions of the Ultima 60 it was mentioned that it might be thicker than the average bottom paint and therefore harder to apply. I didn't find it any thicker or harder to apply than any other bottom paint I've used in the past. If anything, it was easier to apply than the paint I used last time around. Maybe the formula has been improved? So far the only negative of the Ultima is that the blue is a dark navy/teal while most of the other blue bottom paints I've seen/used are more similar to the Sunbrella "Pacific Blue" shade.
It is darker, at first I thought I may have ordered the wrong shade of blue but upon checking there is only one shade. What I don't understand is that the information I got with the boat states that it had Ultima 60 on before and it was that conventional light blue. Formula change? Anyway the color is growing on me...hopfully nothing grows on IT!

My brother passed away Thursday so of course I haven't done anything since. I'll probably not be able to put the shear stripe on since I noticed the marina called, I imagine I'm blocking someone who is ready to go in, I'll probably have to splash before I'm off during any warm windless weather that would enable me to apply the stripe.

#111 ·
Thanks bljones & 4arch, it's been a tough year. He had a tough fight, he had esophagus and liver cancer. When he bought a project boat a few months ago and started talking about years down the road I thought he had it beat since he wasn't the kind to ask directly about what was going on. Last Sunday he drove himself to the hospital, the hospital then called on Monday and reported he would not be leaving, he failed fast after that. On Thursday just by chance I stopped to see him when it happened, it was unspeakably tough to see.

I like to believe he's up with my Mom, since they both loved boating they're either ripping around being pushed by 2 huge big blocks or simply on a nice sail. Yes, in my family we are sailors AND we enjoy insanely loud speedboats...we like ALL boats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.