Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Ready To Go Back In?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Probably best to go woith what works best in your area and your type of sailing as well as dock conditions.

The Ultima 40/60 I know is an ablative.

Isnt the Vivid a hard coat paint. Expensive paint for a one season paint isnt it?

Which issue are you looking at March 2012?
It's a multi-season copolymer hybrid paint. It is ablative, but the copolymer ablative is harder than most ablatives, which makes it more resistant to wiping, brushing, and (if needed) trailing. It retains its effectiveness after a winter on the hard.

Because of its hardness, it's also burnishable, in case you're interested.

It worked fine for me for 2 seasons. It's a little more expensive, but not out of the range of other 2 season paints.

I looked at the March 2013 (26 month test) and March 2012 (14 month) issues. In the March 2012 issue, Vivid rated higher than SR40 (Good vs. Fair).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 03-08-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
It's a multi-season copolymer hybrid paint. It is ablative, but the copolymer ablative is harder than most ablatives, which makes it more resistant to wiping, brushing, and (if needed) trailing. It retains its effectiveness after a winter on the hard.

Because of its hardness, it's also burnishable, in case you're interested.

It worked fine for me for 2 seasons. It's a little more expensive, but not out of the range of other 2 season paints.

I looked at the March 2013 (26 month test) and March 2012 (14 month) issues. In the March 2012 issue, Vivid rated higher than SR40 (Good vs. Fair).
The two I see in PS a Vivid in the hard coat section and a Vivid free in the Ablative section...Neither mentions copolymer like the Micron 66 does At what point ( knots) does it slough off?

So you can pull it and have to rough it up to renergize it for the following season?

One of ther people in our marina is trying it this year. I just want to make sure he is trying the same one you are. Dooes it have an anti slime?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 03-08-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-08-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

Quote:
The two I see in PS a Vivid in the hard coat section and a Vivid free in the Ablative section...Neither mentions copolymer like the Micron 66 does At what point ( knots) does it slough off?

So you can pull it and have to rough it up to renergize it for the following season?

One of ther people in our marina is trying it this year. I just want to make sure he is trying the same one you are. Dooes it have an anti slime?
The paint I have is Vivid, not Vivid Free. They are totally different.

P-S rates Vivid alongside their hard paints. Pettit lists it on their website under both hard and ablative. They describe it as: "Hybrid technology incorporates all the benefits of ablatives and hard paints."

When considering Vivid, I suggest you let go of any prior notions of ablatives and hard paints. This is a totally different system, with a different copper molecule and a different biocide. The traditional rule that "hard paints must stay wet all the time" does not apply to Vivid. I thought I saw mention of copolymer somewhere, but if not that doesn't matter. Just read the data sheet and follow the manufacturer's instructions.

I have never seen anything from Pettit that says I need to rough it up.

I originally chose Vivid because I was afraid that driftwood in my slip would wear through a soft ablative. I now think that a soft ablative would be fine, but I'm sticking with Vivid for another cycle because it's worked fine for me.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 03-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I think I made it pretty clear that I keep by boat in fresh water.

I have no data to indicate that there are stray currents in my marina. I also don't know the reason for the marina's policy. But there is a strong tidal current, and always a possibility of a frayed cord dipping in the water. So I think it's wise for any diver to do so away from the docks.
Most stray current comes mostly from other boats leaking it which are not bonded. I our club it is mostly from the large PB who have electric everything inside them. A second source is from shore power cords and pedestals not grounded.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-09-2013

BCC1 is on a distinguished road

Shrink-wrap off, boat washed, bottom sanded, taped, cockpit teak sealed, bottom first coat painted, batteries installed, some waxing done.

Not bad for day one.

Back at it for the rest of the paint and waxing tomorrow.

Can you tell I'm jonesing to get back in?
Old 03-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC1 View Post
Shrink-wrap off, boat washed, bottom sanded, taped, cockpit teak sealed, bottom first coat painted, batteries installed, some waxing done.

Not bad for day one.

Back at it for the rest of the paint and waxing tomorrow.

Can you tell I'm jonesing to get back in?
Damn busy bee....all by yourself....thats a lot of work yesterday was a primo day here. Today looks the same. Lots of people working onboats yesterday.
Anyone looking at a Friday forecast yet?????

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 03-10-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

So we're now scheduled to splash the week of the 25th, so lets hope for some more nice weekends, lest we have to reschedule and likely end up not going in until at least the 3rd week of April.

Got the hull polished this weekend, but still need to wax
Did some preliminary work on the bottom - still need to scuff and roll on some PCA Gold
We got the rusted water heater removed and the new one arrives next week

Once those are done, we can go back in and finish up the teak, bedding and a couple of minor interior projects we finally got around to starting this year.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 03-10-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-10-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

Based on all I've read here, and the beautiful weather this weekend, I went ahead and pulled the cover today. It's a little early compared to prior years, but hopefully we're done with any snow for the year. The cover was draped over the mast, and I needed to move the mast to do some masthead work (new LED anchor light, etc.), so I had to get the cover out of the way.

I also learned that the big power boat that is blocking me in wants to go in early (and is already polishing his hull, a good sign), so if I can get my to-do list done fast enough, maybe we can spash in April! First I need to scrape and sand, then I'll be ready for my white bottom paint!

Old 03-10-2013

BCC1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Damn busy bee....all by yourself....thats a lot of work yesterday was a primo day here. Today looks the same. Lots of people working onboats yesterday.
Anyone looking at a Friday forecast yet?????
My bride of 30 years is a big part of our boat pep. We finished getting Sagacity's 41' ready for launch today. Everything got done in two days. She buffed some of the wax, put 3 coats of sealer on all the cockpit teak, helped sand the bottom, did half the two coats of paint and did all the taping. And drove both ways both days....5 1/2 hours.

We hope to launch this week and be sailing this weekend!
Old 03-11-2013

Ulladh is on a distinguished road

I will be ready to splash before the the marina is ready the first week of April.

Bottom coated in 60 deg weather in December. The bottom really did not need another coat, smooth and clean after power wash and only needed a light sand. I use coal tar epoxy with copper flour from Progressive Epoxy. This stuff only gets slime a few inches below the water line and had no barnacle growth from 2 months in the lower Delaware bay the year before.

New topside paint this weekend, WM SeaGlossPro, also did not need it but just looks better. I started painting the topside about 8 years ago due to a crazed and unevenly patched gel coat. The paint looks OK for two years then needs a light sand and new coat.

The only items left before splash will be mount the outboard, change the oil and re-install two stanchions that have been bent for many years and I have now straightened.

There is less debris in the river than previous springs, so it should be a good start to the season.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.