Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2013

SolSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Ready To Go Back In?

I really gotta move!!! With 3 feet of ice and nearly as much snow-cover, I can only dream of working on the boat for now.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Went sailing yesterday on the Rappahannock with my wife and son. Nice sailing weather, although still a bit chilly. Here is my 2 and 1/2 year old son steering like a champ:

https://plus.google.com/photos/10193...354?banner=pwa
chef2sail and Silvio like this.
Old 03-11-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Went sailing yesterday on the Rappahannock with my wife and son. Nice sailing weather, although still a bit chilly. Here is my 2 and 1/2 year old son steering like a champ:

https://plus.google.com/photos/10193...354?banner=pwa
Great picture...Oaklies and all
Sailing is so good for families and bonding

Teach him right grasshppper, you dont want him telling you 25 years from now, dad you told me this......but I found out.....
jameswilson29 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-11-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Yeah, after sleeping on it -- and feeling the soreness from over exertion -- I've decided its just not realistic to have the boat ready in two weekends especially since the next one is looking cold and rainy.

We called and rescheduled for the 3rd week of April. Kinda' sux, but I know in that time I can get all my punch list items done (exept for bending on the sails) and be really ready to start sailing and enjoying the boat with no maintenance chore immediately hanging over my head.
Old 03-12-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

I'm still in the water, but in order to sail I need to install my new impeller, replace a short section of cooling water supply hose, and pop on the new alternator belt.

The list of "want to do" work is:

Install autopilot
Install the new standing rigging
Minor fiberglass repair work

People are gobbling up all of my free time in March. I'm going to have to put my foot down in April and focus on my needs instead of others.
chef2sail and jameswilson29 like this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 03-12-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Will you be installing the standing rigging yourself? Are you following a guide? How will you do that?
Old 03-12-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Will you be installing the standing rigging yourself? Are you following a guide? How will you do that?
I will get a friend drunk enough to climb up the Pearson's mast, and have them plug it in, one piece at a time. I will attach at the bottom.

It's just lower shrouds so far, so no big worries about the rig tumbling down.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 03-12-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

I'm demasted with new rigging coming together, so I'll probably not make it in until mid April. Very excited though - new jib furler, new Tides Strong-Track, new mid-boom sheeting on a bridge traveler, raised boom up 6", and a new stackpack. Oh, I have no more budget left ... it is good that wind is free.

Practical Sailor never gives it very high marks, but this is my fourth season using West Marine CPP ablative. I've really had good results here on the upper Chesapeake. I've also been using Pettit Zinc Coat Barnacle Barrier (the one that Chef mentioned). It's only a fraction of the cost of SpeedProp ... and I think the results are fairly good. I haul out every winter ... so my performance time horizon is just one season at a time, but I think the CPP could go two seasons with respectable results. West Marine CPP is actually a rebranded Petit from what I understand.

Last edited by dvuyxx; 03-12-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-12-2013

swampcreek is on a distinguished road

Both sides and aft buffed out shiny you could shave with it. New vinynl graphics not in yet Boat U. S. Graphics said they sould have arrived by now but it went USPS so I might regret not going UPS, Boat U.S. said to call them Thursday if I don't receive them by then. removed old pin striping and waiting on that too. Once the pin strips and vinyl graphics (Name & Port) are applied I can give it a few coats of wax. Changed all anodes to aluminum alloy. need to scuff & paint bottom, adjust dripless shaft coupling, and a few other minor things and we're ready! Oh yeah, I almost forgot to change the gear oil in the outdrive! (Just a joke for those who read my Zinc vs. aluminum anode post)
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.
Old 03-13-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvuyxx View Post
I'm demasted with new rigging coming together, so I'll probably not make it in until mid April. Very excited though - new jib furler, new Tides Strong-Track, new mid-boom sheeting on a bridge traveler, raised boom up 6", and a new stackpack. Oh, I have no more budget left ... it is good that wind is free.

Practical Sailor never gives it very high marks, but this is my fourth season using West Marine CPP ablative. I've really had good results here on the upper Chesapeake. I've also been using Pettit Zinc Coat Barnacle Barrier (the one that Chef mentioned). It's only a fraction of the cost of SpeedProp ... and I think the results are fairly good. I haul out every winter ... so my performance time horizon is just one season at a time, but I think the CPP could go two seasons with respectable results. West Marine CPP is actually a rebranded Petit from what I understand.
You will like your new Tides Strong Track. We installed one 2 years ago when we got our new Quantum full battened main. You can pull the sail up 3/4 of the way witout a winch and when you release it at the nd of sailing it comes down so fast it could knock you out.

Good luck with it. We found it to be a great improvement.

Dave
dvuyxx likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner