Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Ready To Go Back In?

Water pump impeller replaced yesterday. I tested the engine by running the last of my pink antifreeze through it instead of opening the seacock.

I'm going to Florida for next week, and I don't want to de-winterize until I return.

Basically, I can sail now if I wanted.
Silvio likes this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Yeah, The way this weekend is shaping up I'm happy I chose not to try to make the splash this month. It's gonna be too nasty this weekend plus its my wifes BDay so I want to do something for her. That would only leave one more weekend and I have more work that I could get done that fast. Defintely feeling like we made the right call based on what was left open to us but need to remember to schedule earlier next year so we can get the week we want.
Old 03-15-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

I'm just pining away for one weekend of dry 50+ before the second week of April. Lots to do.
Old 03-16-2013

swampcreek is on a distinguished road

The weatherman lied again! I thought today was going to be rainy and cold. I didn't make an effort to get to the boat early figuring I'd just go down and tinker around. I did take my boat's name and hailing port for the transom. To my surprise it didn't rain and it was quite warm! I applied the name and hailing port and took the Winter cover off. If I knew it was going to be such a nice day I would have brought the name and shear stripes for the sides. Oh well getting closer.
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.
Old 03-17-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampcreek View Post
The weatherman lied again! I thought today was going to be rainy and cold. I didn't make an effort to get to the boat early figuring I'd just go down and tinker around. I did take my boat's name and hailing port for the transom. To my surprise it didn't rain and it was quite warm! I applied the name and hailing port and took the Winter cover off. If I knew it was going to be such a nice day I would have brought the name and shear stripes for the sides. Oh well getting closer.
Well there must have been a front line between us or something. I woke and saw temps around 50 and figured the forecast high of 36 must have been WAY off. But by the time I was dressed and ready to head to the boat, the temp had dropped 10 degrees and it was flurrying outside. Next few hours were rain and cold mist, and I just couldn't bring myself to work on the boat in those conditions.

With the temp forecasts I'm seeing, I really don't see how I'm going to get the bottom scraped, sanded, and painted by my hoped-for launch date of April 6. It was just miserable outside today. I did some work on the sails and sail cover inside the house, and downloaded NOAA chart updates and upgraded OpenCPN. I figure the NOAA website might be at risk to go down once the sequestration really starts to kick in a couple weeks from now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 03-17-2013

swampcreek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Well there must have been a front line between us or something. I woke and saw temps around 50 and figured the forecast high of 36 must have been WAY off. But by the time I was dressed and ready to head to the boat, the temp had dropped 10 degrees and it was flurrying outside. Next few hours were rain and cold mist, and I just couldn't bring myself to work on the boat in those conditions.

With the temp forecasts I'm seeing, I really don't see how I'm going to get the bottom scraped, sanded, and painted by my hoped-for launch date of April 6. It was just miserable outside today. I did some work on the sails and sail cover inside the house, and downloaded NOAA chart updates and upgraded OpenCPN. I figure the NOAA website might be at risk to go down once the sequestration really starts to kick in a couple weeks from now.
Yeah, I saw on the Doppler all the precipitation up North, it was kind of splitting going North and South of my area (At least the green splotches). Toward sundown the temperature nose dived. I want to be ready by April 1st but that might be a little ambitious with the crappy weather forecast. Due to training on a new high voltage tagging system at work that we have to develop and put in place I've just been informed that April Saturdays could all be wiped out for me.
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.
Old 03-17-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I do the paperwork on the 23rd, then strip covers, put up the enclosure, de-winterize and if the weather is anywhere near decent will bring her home that day as well.
If not then the next weekend (30th).

All the bottom work will get get in June during a short haul
Old 03-17-2013

4arch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
With the temp forecasts I'm seeing, I really don't see how I'm going to get the bottom scraped, sanded, and painted by my hoped-for launch date of April 6.
I try to take heart in the fact that the bad weather's also happening to everyone so if I lose a day or a whole weekend to weather then so do the other boats in the yard. If enough people are in the same boat presumably that launch date might be able to slide. The long range forecast is at least showing it clear and back to normal March temps by next weekend. Fingers crossed!
Old 03-17-2013

4arch is on a distinguished road

Except for a little drizzle in the AM and late afternoon it stayed dry yesterday here in Baltimore so I spent the morning doing the last of the sanding that needed to be done in the wake of the soda blast job and then in the afternoon my wife and I compounded the topsides. I'm ready to start barrier coating which I hope to be able to do the bulk of next weekend with the last coat and the antifouling coming the last weekend in March. Hull waxing can happen between coats of barrier. That's the plan anyway - now for the weather to cooperate. I may consider introducing some artificial heat if temps don't increase by next weekend.
Old 03-17-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
Except for a little drizzle in the AM and late afternoon it stayed dry yesterday here in Baltimore so I spent the morning doing the last of the sanding that needed to be done in the wake of the soda blast job and then in the afternoon my wife and I compounded the topsides. I'm ready to start barrier coating which I hope to be able to do the bulk of next weekend with the last coat and the antifouling coming the last weekend in March. Hull waxing can happen between coats of barrier. That's the plan anyway - now for the weather to cooperate. I may consider introducing some artificial heat if temps don't increase by next weekend.
Good to see you are progressing on the bottom. Looks like youll be in before Shawn...hes still poking around

Spimdrift will be looking spiffy. Afraid Haleakula will have to wait for her buff job till I get the dingy in the water.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner