Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2013

BCC1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Ready To Go Back In?

Spent yesterday doing the 8 yards of topsoil and mulch, so we went to the slip today, since they put the boat in Friday.

Genoa on, bimini up, springlines added, bikes in the shed, heater on, batteries charged, lifelines tightened...we're ready to sail!

When I get back from California in two weeks....

Hey, bright side is, I'll be good to go!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Ready To Go Back In?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Looks like you'll be in before Shawn...hes still poking around

Dave
Hey, thats not totally acurate...we're now members of MYC and got our slip assigned today...or should I say we got our first pick of a slip. Brian, good to hear your project is coming along, you will be very glad you did this. I am, and 8 years later I have found no signs of blisters. (I do see places my first coat of paint has released itself, apparently the "bond" wasn't good.)

I will admit, I didn't plan as well as I could have but this weather isn't cooperating either. Its hard to compound the hull when its freaking snowing. My wife and I are off all week and hope to get most everything thats needed to splash the boat.

One of my poor planning examples was not throughly checking out my power washer prior to Saturday, it started right up, but a return line needs fixing = no pressure, so washing the deck of two years of grim will have to wait arrggg.

The engine install is about finished. The panel needs to be mounted and the water heater need its heat exchanger lines connected, otherwise its about finished. Prior to the install I painted the entire engine area and installed heat/sound barrier, re-routed wires, will install all new bilge hoses (damn hose is $$$), new bilge blower, and water heater (Raritan 12 G)

The rudder should be back on this week and the pedestal should be ready tomorrow after a fresh powder coat in bright white. I purchased the rebuild kits (brake & bearings) from Edson which I will do later this week.

Tuesday I have a Marine Electrician coming to help me diagnose some issues I'm having since the old engine was removed. I'm thinking its related to a ground wire or something, but I can't figure out. I want to reconfigure the house bank set up but they may have to wait.

Refrigeration is also going to have to wait a while, I want to get sailing. Although I have decided on a Sea Frost system, great systems and will fit our box perfectly with their cold plate freezer box they practically custom build.

I need to hook up the bilge pumps and anything else so we're ready to splash soon/April 1st! The rest can wait!!!! Maryland folks, we need some weather god assistance here!

PS...c2s/Dave doesn't even have his cover off yet, bawahahahaha
Old 03-17-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

So today was a little more productive than yesterday. The chilly temps around 40 still somehow felt warmer than yesterday since the wind wasn't so bad, and it was dry. I got my new anchor light installed with LED. Since the mast is down and the masthead plug is about 15' from the socket, I had to rig a temporary battery to illuminate the LED and verify that I had the polarity correct. I wasn't up to playing the 50-50 odds after raising the mast!

I also got the entire hull scraped, so no loose paint left. A little sanding this week and with some luck I'll be painting by the end of the week. As I mentioned in another thread, I ordered paint from Jamestown today.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 03-18-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Hey, thats not totally acurate...we're now members of MYC and got our slip assigned today...or should I say we got our first pick of a slip. Brian, good to hear your project is coming along, you will be very glad you did this. I am, and 8 years later I have found no signs of blisters. (I do see places my first coat of paint has released itself, apparently the "bond" wasn't good.)

I will admit, I didn't plan as well as I could have but this weather isn't cooperating either. Its hard to compound the hull when its freaking snowing. My wife and I are off all week and hope to get most everything thats needed to splash the boat.

One of my poor planning examples was not throughly checking out my power washer prior to Saturday, it started right up, but a return line needs fixing = no pressure, so washing the deck of two years of grim will have to wait arrggg.

The engine install is about finished. The panel needs to be mounted and the water heater need its heat exchanger lines connected, otherwise its about finished. Prior to the install I painted the entire engine area and installed heat/sound barrier, re-routed wires, will install all new bilge hoses (damn hose is $$$), new bilge blower, and water heater (Raritan 12 G)

The rudder should be back on this week and the pedestal should be ready tomorrow after a fresh powder coat in bright white. I purchased the rebuild kits (brake & bearings) from Edson which I will do later this week.

Tuesday I have a Marine Electrician coming to help me diagnose some issues I'm having since the old engine was removed. I'm thinking its related to a ground wire or something, but I can't figure out. I want to reconfigure the house bank set up but they may have to wait.

Refrigeration is also going to have to wait a while, I want to get sailing. Although I have decided on a Sea Frost system, great systems and will fit our box perfectly with their cold plate freezer box they practically custom build.

I need to hook up the bilge pumps and anything else so we're ready to splash soon/April 1st! The rest can wait!!!! Maryland folks, we need some weather god assistance here!

PS...c2s/Dave doesn't even have his cover off yet, bawahahahaha
Covers not odff because it snowing right now

However I have dewinterized the engine, runs like a champ and all she needs is to throw her winter covers off, rinse out the water systems, but the bimini and 135 on for now, so Ill be slowing down. I need to get a diver also as I am sure i have a bit of slime.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-21-2013

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolSailor View Post
I really gotta move!!! With 3 feet of ice and nearly as much snow-cover, I can only dream of working on the boat for now.
I feel your pain.
Old 03-23-2013

swampcreek is on a distinguished road

I really wanted to paint the bottom today, ended up spending 11 hours at work so no go. If the temperature reaches 50 degrees tomorrow I'll go for it. Minimum application temperature on instructions state 50 degrees, they're predicting 47 so maybe 3 degrees off wouldn't hurt. Moday they're predicting the possibility of a couple inches of global warming but I'm hoping they're wrong. I really would like to see it warm up, this cold weather and my insane schedule are really making it tough to do the few things I need to do.
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.
Old 03-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampcreek View Post
I really wanted to paint the bottom today, ended up spending 11 hours at work so no go. If the temperature reaches 50 degrees tomorrow I'll go for it. Minimum application temperature on instructions state 50 degrees, they're predicting 47 so maybe 3 degrees off wouldn't hurt. Moday they're predicting the possibility of a couple inches of global warming but I'm hoping they're wrong. I really would like to see it warm up, this cold weather and my insane schedule are really making it tough to do the few things I need to do.
Pettit Vivid is good down to 40, so I got a coat on yesterday and a coat on today. I want to do a third coat on the waterline and leading edges, and also need to paint the pad areas and transom hung rudder (which is in my basement right now), but I'm out of paint. So it looks like Defender will be getting an order for a quart. It really stings to pay almost half what a gallon costs, but I don't want to have a bunch of extra paint sitting around for 2 years, so it will have to be a quart.

I met the owners of the large powerboat that's blocking me in, and they're splashing April 5. I think I'm gonna go in right after them on the same day. I have a few important things to do first, like raise the mast.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 03-23-2013

swampcreek is on a distinguished road

At work we are teaching a whole new Lock Out Tag Out procedure to almost 700 people, they want this done by May 1st. Most of my Saturdays could very well be tanked until then. Hopefully I can take off during the week if there are any holes in my training schedule. I think after this is all over and the boat is in the water I might need a small vacation, I joked in an email to my wife about going to Jamaica, she emailed me back stating she'd pack and meet me at the airport...I may consider this.
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.
Old 03-25-2013

These are stored on Facebook, so not sure they'll show up here unless you're logged into your account:

First pic is before painting, with the sanded bottom and masked boot stripe:

The second pic is after applying new bottom paint. Also note that I raised the mast:

Old 03-25-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
These are stored on Facebook, so not sure they'll show up here unless you're logged into your account:

First pic is before painting, with the sanded bottom and masked boot stripe:

The second pic is after applying new bottom paint. Also note that I raised the mast:

Looks good Rick

I didnt realize you dont have gunnels and that you lifelines are essentially on the coachroof. Your jackline (s) when you put them in if you follow the lifelines actually will almost be centerline to the boat like I was taught.

Most sailboats stachions and lifelines arent configured like yours. I understand your set up now.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 03-25-2013 at 11:44 AM.