Ready To Go Back In? - Page 9 - SailNet Community
 22Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 112 Old 03-17-2013
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 96
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: Ready To Go Back In?

Spent yesterday doing the 8 yards of topsoil and mulch, so we went to the slip today, since they put the boat in Friday.

Genoa on, bimini up, springlines added, bikes in the shed, heater on, batteries charged, lifelines tightened...we're ready to sail!

When I get back from California in two weeks....

Hey, bright side is, I'll be good to go!
BCC1 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #82 of 112 Old 03-17-2013
Senior Member
 
T37Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,489
Thanks: 74
Thanked 42 Times in 37 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Talking Re: Ready To Go Back In?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Looks like you'll be in before Shawn...hes still poking around

Dave
Hey, thats not totally acurate...we're now members of MYC and got our slip assigned today...or should I say we got our first pick of a slip. Brian, good to hear your project is coming along, you will be very glad you did this. I am, and 8 years later I have found no signs of blisters. (I do see places my first coat of paint has released itself, apparently the "bond" wasn't good.)

I will admit, I didn't plan as well as I could have but this weather isn't cooperating either. Its hard to compound the hull when its freaking snowing. My wife and I are off all week and hope to get most everything thats needed to splash the boat.

One of my poor planning examples was not throughly checking out my power washer prior to Saturday, it started right up, but a return line needs fixing = no pressure, so washing the deck of two years of grim will have to wait arrggg.

The engine install is about finished. The panel needs to be mounted and the water heater need its heat exchanger lines connected, otherwise its about finished. Prior to the install I painted the entire engine area and installed heat/sound barrier, re-routed wires, will install all new bilge hoses (damn hose is $$$), new bilge blower, and water heater (Raritan 12 G)

The rudder should be back on this week and the pedestal should be ready tomorrow after a fresh powder coat in bright white. I purchased the rebuild kits (brake & bearings) from Edson which I will do later this week.

Tuesday I have a Marine Electrician coming to help me diagnose some issues I'm having since the old engine was removed. I'm thinking its related to a ground wire or something, but I can't figure out. I want to reconfigure the house bank set up but they may have to wait.

Refrigeration is also going to have to wait a while, I want to get sailing. Although I have decided on a Sea Frost system, great systems and will fit our box perfectly with their cold plate freezer box they practically custom build.

I need to hook up the bilge pumps and anything else so we're ready to splash soon/April 1st! The rest can wait!!!! Maryland folks, we need some weather god assistance here!

PS...c2s/Dave doesn't even have his cover off yet, bawahahahaha

Cheers,
Shawn

S/V Windgeist
1982 Tartan 37C

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
T37Chef is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #83 of 112 Old 03-17-2013
Senior Member
 
TakeFive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Swarthmore, PA
Posts: 3,144
Thanks: 6
Thanked 84 Times in 74 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Re: Ready To Go Back In?

So today was a little more productive than yesterday. The chilly temps around 40 still somehow felt warmer than yesterday since the wind wasn't so bad, and it was dry. I got my new anchor light installed with LED. Since the mast is down and the masthead plug is about 15' from the socket, I had to rig a temporary battery to illuminate the LED and verify that I had the polarity correct. I wasn't up to playing the 50-50 odds after raising the mast!

I also got the entire hull scraped, so no loose paint left. A little sanding this week and with some luck I'll be painting by the end of the week. As I mentioned in another thread, I ordered paint from Jamestown today.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1994 Mason 44 Firefly on loan from my BFF (West River, Galesville, MD)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
TakeFive is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #84 of 112 Old 03-18-2013
Senior Member
 
chef2sail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,088
Thanks: 30
Thanked 58 Times in 54 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Ready To Go Back In?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Hey, thats not totally acurate...we're now members of MYC and got our slip assigned today...or should I say we got our first pick of a slip. Brian, good to hear your project is coming along, you will be very glad you did this. I am, and 8 years later I have found no signs of blisters. (I do see places my first coat of paint has released itself, apparently the "bond" wasn't good.)

I will admit, I didn't plan as well as I could have but this weather isn't cooperating either. Its hard to compound the hull when its freaking snowing. My wife and I are off all week and hope to get most everything thats needed to splash the boat.

One of my poor planning examples was not throughly checking out my power washer prior to Saturday, it started right up, but a return line needs fixing = no pressure, so washing the deck of two years of grim will have to wait arrggg.

The engine install is about finished. The panel needs to be mounted and the water heater need its heat exchanger lines connected, otherwise its about finished. Prior to the install I painted the entire engine area and installed heat/sound barrier, re-routed wires, will install all new bilge hoses (damn hose is $$$), new bilge blower, and water heater (Raritan 12 G)

The rudder should be back on this week and the pedestal should be ready tomorrow after a fresh powder coat in bright white. I purchased the rebuild kits (brake & bearings) from Edson which I will do later this week.

Tuesday I have a Marine Electrician coming to help me diagnose some issues I'm having since the old engine was removed. I'm thinking its related to a ground wire or something, but I can't figure out. I want to reconfigure the house bank set up but they may have to wait.

Refrigeration is also going to have to wait a while, I want to get sailing. Although I have decided on a Sea Frost system, great systems and will fit our box perfectly with their cold plate freezer box they practically custom build.

I need to hook up the bilge pumps and anything else so we're ready to splash soon/April 1st! The rest can wait!!!! Maryland folks, we need some weather god assistance here!

PS...c2s/Dave doesn't even have his cover off yet, bawahahahaha
Covers not odff because it snowing right now

However I have dewinterized the engine, runs like a champ and all she needs is to throw her winter covers off, rinse out the water systems, but the bimini and 135 on for now, so Ill be slowing down. I need to get a diver also as I am sure i have a bit of slime.

Dave


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___________________________
S/V Haleakala (Hawaiian for" House of the Sun")
C&C 35 MKIII Hull # 76
Parkville, Maryland
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
chef2sail is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #85 of 112 Old 03-21-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Milton, DE
Posts: 592
Thanks: 2
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Re: Ready To Go Back In?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolSailor View Post
I really gotta move!!! With 3 feet of ice and nearly as much snow-cover, I can only dream of working on the boat for now.
I feel your pain.
Flybyknight is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #86 of 112 Old 03-23-2013 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
swampcreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pasadena MD
Posts: 334
Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Re: Ready To Go Back In?

I really wanted to paint the bottom today, ended up spending 11 hours at work so no go. If the temperature reaches 50 degrees tomorrow I'll go for it. Minimum application temperature on instructions state 50 degrees, they're predicting 47 so maybe 3 degrees off wouldn't hurt. Moday they're predicting the possibility of a couple inches of global warming but I'm hoping they're wrong. I really would like to see it warm up, this cold weather and my insane schedule are really making it tough to do the few things I need to do.

2000 Catalina 320
Previous:
1993 Macgregor 26S
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.
swampcreek is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #87 of 112 Old 03-23-2013
Senior Member
 
TakeFive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Swarthmore, PA
Posts: 3,144
Thanks: 6
Thanked 84 Times in 74 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Re: Ready To Go Back In?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampcreek View Post
I really wanted to paint the bottom today, ended up spending 11 hours at work so no go. If the temperature reaches 50 degrees tomorrow I'll go for it. Minimum application temperature on instructions state 50 degrees, they're predicting 47 so maybe 3 degrees off wouldn't hurt. Moday they're predicting the possibility of a couple inches of global warming but I'm hoping they're wrong. I really would like to see it warm up, this cold weather and my insane schedule are really making it tough to do the few things I need to do.
Pettit Vivid is good down to 40, so I got a coat on yesterday and a coat on today. I want to do a third coat on the waterline and leading edges, and also need to paint the pad areas and transom hung rudder (which is in my basement right now), but I'm out of paint. So it looks like Defender will be getting an order for a quart. It really stings to pay almost half what a gallon costs, but I don't want to have a bunch of extra paint sitting around for 2 years, so it will have to be a quart.

I met the owners of the large powerboat that's blocking me in, and they're splashing April 5. I think I'm gonna go in right after them on the same day. I have a few important things to do first, like raise the mast.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1994 Mason 44 Firefly on loan from my BFF (West River, Galesville, MD)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
TakeFive is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #88 of 112 Old 03-23-2013 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
swampcreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pasadena MD
Posts: 334
Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Re: Ready To Go Back In?

At work we are teaching a whole new Lock Out Tag Out procedure to almost 700 people, they want this done by May 1st. Most of my Saturdays could very well be tanked until then. Hopefully I can take off during the week if there are any holes in my training schedule. I think after this is all over and the boat is in the water I might need a small vacation, I joked in an email to my wife about going to Jamaica, she emailed me back stating she'd pack and meet me at the airport...I may consider this.

2000 Catalina 320
Previous:
1993 Macgregor 26S
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.
swampcreek is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #89 of 112 Old 03-25-2013
Senior Member
 
TakeFive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Swarthmore, PA
Posts: 3,144
Thanks: 6
Thanked 84 Times in 74 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Re: Ready To Go Back In?

These are stored on Facebook, so not sure they'll show up here unless you're logged into your account:

First pic is before painting, with the sanded bottom and masked boot stripe:



The second pic is after applying new bottom paint. Also note that I raised the mast:



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1994 Mason 44 Firefly on loan from my BFF (West River, Galesville, MD)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
TakeFive is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #90 of 112 Old 03-25-2013
Senior Member
 
chef2sail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,088
Thanks: 30
Thanked 58 Times in 54 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Ready To Go Back In?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
These are stored on Facebook, so not sure they'll show up here unless you're logged into your account:

First pic is before painting, with the sanded bottom and masked boot stripe:



The second pic is after applying new bottom paint. Also note that I raised the mast:

Looks good Rick

I didnt realize you dont have gunnels and that you lifelines are essentially on the coachroof. Your jackline (s) when you put them in if you follow the lifelines actually will almost be centerline to the boat like I was taught.

Most sailboats stachions and lifelines arent configured like yours. I understand your set up now.

Dave


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___________________________
S/V Haleakala (Hawaiian for" House of the Sun")
C&C 35 MKIII Hull # 76
Parkville, Maryland
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 03-25-2013 at 11:44 AM.
chef2sail is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ready, Set, Sail: America's Cup Back In Rhode Island NewsReader News Feeds 0 06-27-2012 10:00 AM
Sailing: Wild Oats clinches back-to-back victories (New Straits Times) NewsReader News Feeds 0 12-28-2006 08:15 PM
Back to school means back to the schedule (The Palm Beach Post) NewsReader News Feeds 0 08-16-2006 03:15 AM
Boaz sails to back-to-back titles (Sand Mountain Reporter) NewsReader News Feeds 0 04-28-2006 10:15 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome