Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: Zinc Or Aluminum Anodes On Mid Chessie

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampcreek View Post
We may very well have this boat a long time, I just want to do whats best for it. Nowhere do I read any technical articles that zinc is better in brackish water, I read just the opposite, the only promotion of zinc over aluminum are the arguments like "that's what we always have done". I've heard of different anodes before but never concerned myself with them but our present boat cost more than all my previous boats combined. I've had some real adventures trying to disassemble old outdrives and lower units, I wonder how much easier some of those jobs might have been if they were protected with aluminum alloy.

To put it another way many cars were produced without oil filters way back when, those kind of caught on too.
I'm pretty sure your C320 doesn't have an outdrive to worry about, so that's not a particularly accurate analogy, and neither is the cars without oil filters.
The facts I see in evidence are there are thousands and thousands of 30+ year old sailboats on the Chesapeake that have had no issues using zinc anodes.

@Faster, cheaper they may be, but I know it would take time and effort for me to find them and I'd most likely have to pay shipping to get them, so being that I have no problems "doing it the way they've always done it" I guess I'll keep doing it, and not look for a better mousetrap.

Finally, I agree with Chef, that if I saw evidence of stray current (or was just worried about it) at my marina, I'd invest in a galvanic isolator, especially if I planned to keep my boat plugged in.
chef2sail likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Swampy,
You live in a marina, a galvanic isolator should be your first concern. Far more damage is caused by your neighbor's boat's leaking current than by simple electrolysis in the water.

I say neighbor's boats because that's the way it works out - they are worse for you than your own boat.
I keep my boat at my dock with no other boats within 100's of feet, and I still have a isolator.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 03-09-2013

swampcreek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
I'm pretty sure your C320 doesn't have an outdrive to worry about, so that's not a particularly accurate analogy, and neither is the cars without oil filters.
The facts I see in evidence are there are thousands and thousands of 30+ year old sailboats on the Chesapeake that have had no issues using zinc anodes.

@Faster, cheaper they may be, but I know it would take time and effort for me to find them and I'd most likely have to pay shipping to get them, so being that I have no problems "doing it the way they've always done it" I guess I'll keep doing it, and not look for a better mousetrap.

Finally, I agree with Chef, that if I saw evidence of stray current (or was just worried about it) at my marina, I'd invest in a galvanic isolator, especially if I planned to keep my boat plugged in.
You know I ran down to the yard and double checked, you're right! The C320 dose not have an outdrive, and I checked twice! It does have a galvonic isolator though. Like I stated before, I ran across this issue when going to buy ZINCS and looked into it. I thought it a good point to bring up here. I'm going with the aluminum anodes and will monitor it closely, as far as what everyone else does they can use Play-Doe if it makes them happy.
I can understand the commitment to zinc, most of us have used it our entire boating history and it has been used for centuries by countless seamen but the aluminum anode is not pure aluminum which would be useless as an anode, the aluminum anode due to the way its manufactured is actually less noble than a zinc anode.

Here is an interesting article that sums up a lot of different articles on the subject.

http://www.martyranodes.com/content/...m%20Anodes.pdf

You don't appear to embrace my analogies but here is another...This reminds me of when synthetic motor oil was really getting popular in the early '90s, I had just bought my Harley in '93 and after 5,000 miles I went to synthetic, many people told me that it was a bad idea because synthetic was TOO slippery! Even HD itself advised against it...until they started selling it. I bought that Harley new, picked it up 20 years ago on April 1st 1993 (Wow time flies) she's in the garage waiting to go out right now, but I need to go and get the boat ready for the season.

You seem pretty passionate about using zinc and thats fine, we all do our own thing!
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.
Old 03-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
I too have always used zincs but would be interested in knowing if any mid and upper bay boaters use aluminum? Would there be any issue trying one zinc and one aluminum anode on a SS shaft?
From the link I posted above, you wouldn't want ti do that, the aluminum anode being less noble would be using a lot of its protective energy thrying to save the zinc.
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Swampy,
You live in a marina, a galvanic isolator should be your first concern. Far more damage is caused by your neighbor's boat's leaking current than by simple electrolysis in the water.

I say neighbor's boats because that's the way it works out - they are worse for you than your own boat.
I keep my boat at my dock with no other boats within 100's of feet, and I still have a isolator.
I do have an isolator but you bring up a good point, I have a friend who lives on the water and has repeatedly told me I'm welcomed to stay at his pier. I might give that some consideration. This wouldn't exclusively be based on stray electrical currents, he is on more protected and cleaner water. I would miss my slip neighbors though.
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

Last edited by swampcreek; 03-09-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-09-2013
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Far more damage is caused by your neighbor's boat's leaking current than by simple electrolysis in the water.
You are somebody's neighbor too. Using your logic, that means you are the source of his problems.

When it comes to rapid zinc depletion and corrosion problems, everybody likes to blame the other boats around him. My experience, however, is that the most likely source for these issues is to be found aboard your own boat. That's where you should look first.

BTW- "electrolysis" is not something floating in the water. Further, it is not even the correct term for a common form of metal corrosion in boats.
T37SOLARE likes this.

Last edited by Fstbttms; 03-09-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-11-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampcreek View Post

You seem pretty passionate about using zinc and thats fine, we all do our own thing!
Well, I'm fairly passonate about not making my life harder by creating problems where they don't exisit, but that's just me.
Old 03-11-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
thanks Dave ...because I have about 4 years worth of zincs for my autostream prop, at about $30 per...and I should not mix zinc and aluminum ...I will be sticking with zinc for at least the next 4-5 years.

@swampcreek...not sure why you asked in the first place because it seems you already had your mind made up?

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 03-11-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
@swampcreek...not sure why you asked in the first place because it seems you already had your mind made up?
At the time I first posted I had just decided to look into the option of aluminum anodes further. I also started researching into it elsewhere, with the technical data I have found I have indeed made up my mind that this is the best choice for me, others may come to the same conclusion. I'm not saying anyone else is wrong for using zinc. If I had to go into the water right away and couldn't wait for aluminum anodes to be shipped then I'd be going with the zincs as well and deal with changing over later. I asked for input and experience. Being that the majority of this site is supposed to be about sailors helping sailors I believe this a legitimate subject to explore, however the tone here seems to have become a little more charged than I would expect over such a subject.
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

Old 03-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
Well, I'm fairly passonate about not making my life harder by creating problems where they don't exisit, but that's just me.
As I originally posted I wanted input, I would be interested in reading any technical data where going with aluminum anodes in brakish water is creating problems or where zinc anodes are superior.
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats