SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   boatyard rec solomons? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/97420-boatyard-rec-solomons.html)

boz86 03-09-2013 11:02 AM

boatyard rec solomons?

May be facing unstepping the mast to reroute some wires and don't have that capability at my current marina.

Any recommendations for the Solomons area? Mostly looking at unstepping the mast, rerouting wires, compression sheaves, and rigging check.

Thanks

chuck53 03-09-2013 01:39 PM

Re: boatyard rec solomons?

I'm guessing Zanheisers is probably the biggest yard with the most equipment and hired help that can do most anything you need.

brokesailor 03-09-2013 04:04 PM

boatyard rec solomons?

Wherever you go DON'T go to Spring Cove Marina. Not a sailboat smart yard.

T37Chef 03-09-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brokesailor (Post 1000495)
Wherever you go DON'T go to Spring Cove Marina. Not a sailboat smart yard.

Could you expand on this comment, I don't think its fair to just make a statement like this without some sort of explanation? I have not had any work done there,only been a transient there a few times, but I have always found the marina very well kept, clean, and well managed. Active Captain comments almost exclusively are positive, of 61 comments, I saw all rated it 5 starts except maybe 2 or 3 who gave them 4 stars. Perhaps you just had a isolated experience?

To the OP, check out Active Captain, you can read comments for yourself in addition to whatever feedback you get here ;) Zanhizers is a great marina and I did have some work done there, need an out haul replaced, toke them 4 hours, they only charged me for 2 IIRCC

T37SOLARE 03-09-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T37Chef (Post 1000572)
Could you expand on this comment, I don't think its fair to just make a statement like this without some sort of explanation? I have not had any work done there,only been a transient there a few times, but I have always found the marina very well kept, clean, and well managed. Active Captain comments almost exclusively are positive, of 61 comments, I saw all rated it 5 starts except maybe 2 or 3 who gave them 4 stars. Perhaps you just had a isolated experience?

To the OP, check out Active Captain, you can read comments for yourself in addition to whatever feedback you get here ;) Zanhizers is a great marina and I did have some work done there, need an out haul replaced, toke them 4 hours, they only charged me for 2 IIRCC

Ditto on what the Chef said.

I've always had good experiences at Spring Cove, mind telling us what issues you had there?

brokesailor 03-10-2013 06:59 AM

OK so without getting into the nasties:
My Pacific Seacraft 37 Skalliwag was delivered there via truck the first week of March 2011.
They finally splashed the boat with the mast stepped (boom still laying on deck) on the week before the 4th of July.
They installed the mast pulpits backwards so when you looked at them from the bow they were angled outward about 30 degrees.
The two backstays were installed incorrectly (the SSB antenna was on the wrong side)
I had them install a new Battery Charger-they installed it under the galley sink.
And other assorted minor issues.
But to go visit as a transient-great place to stay. Just stay away from the Yard.

Silvio 03-11-2013 07:41 AM

I know nothing about Spring Cove but can recommend Zanhiser's. They do good work. They are not cheap but from what I have seen they do not appear to cut corners either.

AirborneSF 03-24-2013 11:02 AM

Zan's has always done right by me, not cheap, but do good work, and know what they are doing. Info is forthcoming if asked, and you know what B.O.A.T.means. My,.02

boz86 06-24-2013 08:18 AM

To kinda finish this thread, I went with some recommendations from some others and tried Washburn's.

That'll teach me to ignore the collective wisdom of Sailnet. Bottom line, essentially 3 days of work took over 7 weeks.

I meant to trade some of our money to save time and get the boat ready. As it is, I lost both the money and the time.

zz4gta 06-24-2013 10:25 AM

What kind of work did you have them do?