Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Fly fishing the Bay

I have all this fly fishing gear, quite the investment actually. I'm wondering if there are places to anchor like by the Bay bridge where the water is deeper and the the rockfish may take to surface feeding. I've not had any problems casting a line by standing in the bow pulpit, by the way.

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2013

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road
Re: Fly fishing the Bay

You really don't need any fishing gear and you definitely don't
want to be standing on the bow pulpit!
Wrong answer...Misread your post, thought it read
"Flying fish in the bay".
Old 03-27-2013

olddog60 is on a distinguished road

You can Fly fish for almost any small to medium species. Its the line and and rod size that will best determine if you can actually land what you hooked. Try to match the lure with the commom diet to the of the fish you are trying to catch. I have done it many times for Sea Trout and other like fish surf fishing. Off the boat I think would be constraining with all the rigging. I would even try for Stripper when they are running.
Old 03-28-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

rigging is not big a problem for an experienced fly caster. It's certainly easier then a roll cast for brookies while under a blueberry bush! One doesn't pay the line out bow to stern. it's cast port and or starboard. Guess I'll do some searching on the fishing sites. Then there is always the option of using the dinghy to get in close.
Here's what I'd love

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 03-28-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-28-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

forgot to mention the large catfish in the anchorage across from Mears point Marina! wooo hooo!

My boat is for sale.
Old 03-30-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I prefer to get my PCBs from eating processed food vrs channel catfish. I will only eat farm raised catfish as they are bottom feeders and anywhere on the Chessie are loaded with heavy metals. That if you arent on a catch and release

Fly fishing is good on many rivers...Chester is a good one. Lots of porgies, and even a few sea bass. I do catch and release though.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-30-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

Same here Chef I used fish Catch and release waters mostly back when I had the Mtn property

My boat is for sale.
Old 04-03-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybyknight View Post
You will undoubtedly have many questions on sailboat handling, best answered after you get into it a bit further.
Good luck.
Dick
questions about handling... me? at 5ft draft I'd most likely be in my dink. oh guess I better find out what all dem ropes is for..

My boat is for sale.
Old 04-03-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

for stripper up here use 9 weight line and rod. "rock fish" or strippers seem to go as the for clousters or lefty deceivers . have had better luck fishing from dinghy or shore than boat. Need to be careful of the hypalon but haven't figured out how to boat a fish off the sailboat. Maybe easier in future off a sugar scoop stern. Have fun. best fun for me has been spey rod in the surf.
Old 04-04-2013

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road

Have you ever had the feeling that in trying to help someone a fire cracker blows up in your face?
Well, that's it, I'm gone.