Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2013
Yamsailor

Yamsailor is on a distinguished road
Anchorages just just South of the C&D Canal

Hi Folks,

I will be transiting the C&D canal west bound. If all goes well I wil be exiting the C&D around 6pm and want to anchor out before sundown. I will be in a 45 foot sailboat with a draft of 5'. Any suggested anchorages?

Thanks

Last edited by Yamsailor; 03-27-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: Anchorages just just South of the C&D Canal

If you can make it down to Still Pond or Worton Creek, great. If not, there are anchorages in the Bohemia River. You should be concerned about both the weather and ship wakes in that part of the Bay. Some like the Sassafras River, but you must go a few miles up to find a good anchorage.
Old 03-27-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Worton Creek - see activecaptain.com
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-27-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

If you exit C&D at Welches Point at 6 PM Worton Creek will be 3-4 hours away and you will be arriving at 10 at night assuming you are traveling at 5 knots.

You have a number of fine anchorages before Worton Creek. Worton however will give 360 degree protection on the inside anchorage. Still Pond or the Sassrass as Betterton is where we usually syop unless the wind is blowing into the anchorage. Still Pond has great protection also. We spend a lot of time anchoring in Worton in the summer as its the first place to swim on the Chessie without nettles.

From Welch Point at the West end of the C&D 4.5 miles is- is Mid way between Fords Landing and Veazy Cover in the South side entrance of the Bohemia. Bohemia is very shallow and that will be 7 ft of water. No protection from N, NW or W winds or large vessel wash which this time of year is no problem

6.5 miles from Welch Point at the end of the C&D Canal is near the ramp on the South side of Rouge Harbor on the Elk Neck State Park west side of the Elk River. Their is a yacht club there with moorings and the depth is 8 ft. No protection from S,SE,E NE or N wind components or large vessel wash which this time of year is no problem

12.7 miles from Welches Point at the end of the C&D Canal is Betterton at the South side of the mouth of the Sassaras. Deep up to the shoreline No protection from N, NW or W winds or large vessel wash which this time of year is no problem.

17.8 miles from Welches Point at the end of the C&D Canal and best option is Still Pond if the wind isnt strong W or NW . Protected from all but due west wind if you dont want to go all the way in Worton Creek> Tuck in the SE corner behind the Rocky Pt. Carries 8 ft all the way to shore. Nice anchorage even in the crowded summer.

Last is 22.4 miles from Welches Point at the end of the C&D Canal Worton, 360 degree protection in wind from the inside. We usually however anchor on the NE side down near the inside entrance to protect from winds from the NW, N NE R SE,....S SW or W winds will funnel into Worton outsdie and make it rolly so you go inside

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-27-2013
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

If the distance to the anchorages Chef describes is too far for the time of day, you oughta be able to find room to anchor a 45'er in the basin at Chesapeake City. That is pretty close to the western end of the canal and has a marina, restaurant and easy walking access to town.
DRFerron likes this.
Old 03-27-2013
Yamsailor

Hi Guys,

Thank you all for the advice! I will be transiting the C&D canal this Friday. Weather report as of now states winds from the North West. So I will make my final decision based on what actually is happening when I exit the canal. Assuming North Westerlies I am thinking up the Sassafras.

Thoughts?
Old 03-28-2013
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
Anchorages just just South of the C&D Canal

Turner creek up the Sassafrass is a nice anchorage. Well protected but can be a challenge to get in if unfamiliar. It also won't work if draft is greater than 5'. The channel is marked, go close to shore when going by cliff and head for fishing wharf before turning in to creek. Good places to anchor - there are private moorings about but you can easily anchor around them without interfering with them.

I do hope you are planning to make us of the currents. Going with the current in the Delaware River and Canal will significantly speed up your journey and reduce transit time. We easily kept the current last year from Lewes, DE to Worton Creek, making it in a day, albeit a long day. With exiting the Canal at 6 (if I remember your write up correctly) you should be able to make Worton or Still Pond with just a few hours to go and drop anchor snug as a bug in a good anchorage. My point is to look at the current charts and time accordingly.
Old 03-28-2013

Turner Creek is a great anchorage,,,well protected but about 5 miles or 1 hour up the Sassafrass.

Still Pond is the same distance south. You can tuck up into the North side of the POnd to get out of the NW breeze there.

Just an FYI the anchorage along the Elk River I described where the yacht club will be well protected from a NW or W wind na dthis time of year there is very little traffic to contend with on the Elk River . After you get past Turkey Point is when you will be subjected to the winds

If Jimgo gets his boat fixed I will be traveling up through the C&D Canal on Friday . He has a blue hulled Almond 31 and wed be heading through the Canal between 3-6 PM. We will wave if we see you as we will probably be the only two boats on the waterway.

Dave
jameswilson29 likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 03-28-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-28-2013
Yamsailor

Sounds good Chef. The name of the boat I will be on is called Mast Transit. I am departing Riverside, NJ hopefully around 6am tomorrow. I will be on VHF Channels 16 and 13.

Last edited by Yamsailor; 03-28-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-28-2013

Ok Ed,

So you have the current for the first 5 hours ( 30 miles/ 6 knots average) to Macrus Hook Range/ Cherry Island then you fight it for 16 miles to the C&D East entrance ( 4 hours at average 4 knots) You would make the C&D at 4 PM approximently and have the current for 2.5 hours making 7 knots there. You plot seems very close. probably do a little more than what I estimated , but always best to be conservative. You picking the boat up at Winters? I have always like that trip for scenercy up to Philly ( Walt Witman) Then its nothing but oil refineries ands the airport till you get to Essington where it starts to get nicer again. I am a Philly guy ( Bryn Mawr) originally so I appreciate the waterride down through Philly and the Mosulu and Society Hill.

Chesapeake City is also a possible bailout as was mentioned, but shoaled entrance, swift surrent and current by the bridge at the back of the small tight anchorage. I dislike this place a lot and avoid it, beacuse of the crowds and the 17 ft runabouts who thow down 3 lb anchors and leave to drink. This time of year wouldnt be too bad if you dont make the good time you expect.

Wheres your final destination?

Hope to pass mass Transit tomorrow. Safe trip

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-