Onancock,Va. - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-29-2013 Thread Starter

Onancock,Va.

Been to Onancock plenty of times and enjoyed the the little restaurant next to the marina..but never been there by water..

Onancock Wharf, Onancock Marina, Onancock Creek

Web site says plenty of water up to the town wharf but a bit skinny near the slips for boats with keels nearing 6ft.

Looks like plenty of anchoring opportunities nearby. However after checking Active Capt'n it appears to need updating..

Bottom line Onancock by land is a quaint little town and the surrounding population is a mix of young and retired..but I would like more current update as to navigating the approach to the Onancock Creek from the Bay.

I guess I'll give 'em a call and get some local knowledge..
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-29-2013
Tartan 37C

Re: Onancock,Va.

Been there by water on my boat 4'2" and my brothers 5'6" no problems. Anchor off the town dock, or take a slip bow in as it gets real skinny at the shore line.

Great town, planning on getting back again this summer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SOLARE
T-37 #442
post #3 of 5 Old 04-29-2013

let us know how it goes...we hope to make it there this year

Cheers,
Shawn

S/V Windgeist
1982 Tartan 37C

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-30-2013

I haven't been in the past two years, but used to go once or twice a season. Its a long run up the creek from the bay but the pay off is worth it as you are aware if you've been by car. I especially love docking under the watchful eye of the retired veterans seated on the "Liars Bench" as they score your docking skills.

I never had any issue getting to the slips of the town dock. They run big barges right up adjacent to the town docks so I would expect no problems at all on the approach, but I suppose the slips could have silted in some. If you need fuel, its available from the dockmaster but the pumps are across from the town docks at the facility where they fuel the tugs the haul the barges of stone or whatever it is.

There is a small anchorage area just before you reach the docks, but I've never anchored there. It would be very tight for any more than 3-4 boats.

If you've tried the place by the docks, you should check out the Hotel Charlotte and/or the Irish Pub up in town depending on your mood.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 04-30-2013 at 07:18 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-01-2013

We were anchored there in hurricane Sandy. We draw 8 ft and had no problems all the way to the dock.

Great Irish pub in town.

Phil

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.