Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2013
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road
St. Michaels

My wife and I are going to sail to St. Michaels either this weekend or next. I know there are threads on here with suggestions, but I wanted to check if there were any updates to be aware of / not miss.

We have never been, so any tips on where to anchor (I have a deep 6’2” draft), where to eat (got some pointers from the eats thread), where to walk the dog, etc... would be greatly appreciated.

I know The Crab Claw gets a lot traffic, but we’d like to go someplace that is busy due to the food and not the location – and Crab Claw might have both.

Thanks,
Nick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2013

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Re: St. Michaels

Being a member of the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum (CBMM) does have some benefits like reduced slip rates, access to their dingy dock, showers, as well as visiting the museum buildings. Besides the fact the museum is right next door to the Crab Claw.

Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum, St. Michaels, Maryland

Suggest you get there early as Memorial Day weekend in St. Michael's is notoriously crazy with people and boats.
Yamsailor and Nicklaus like this.
Old 05-01-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
You can anchor in Fog cove for free, there's a free public dinghy dock.
Yamsailor, chef2sail and Nicklaus like this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 05-01-2013
But if not...

paperbird is on a distinguished road

Some have had problems with anchors dragging when anchored out by G-3. Oyster shells seems to be the issue. Make sure you set deep. Can get pretty crowded on big weekends, and Memorial Day definitely qualifies. If you have a decent dinghy, consider Leeds Creek as an alternative.

For food, we like Ava's, especially the back patio.

Where are you sailing out of? We're looking at Mem Day options now as well.
Nicklaus likes this.
Old 05-01-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

I haven't been to St Mikes by boat in a while, doubt much has changed though. Suggestions already made are good ones regarding where to anchor. I only advise not to anchor inside the inlet anywhere near the Inn at Perry's Cabin. It will get to crowded and busy.

As for restaurants:
- The Crab Claw is what it is, usually the crabs are great but this early in the season they are not going to be great anywhere. Keep in mind they only take cash, no CC
- 208 Talbot is perhaps some of the best food in town, excellent chef at the helm
- Blue Crab Coffee is decent for breakfast, although sometimes it seems like the works could use a shot or two of espresso?
- Inn at Perry's Cabin, I wish I could recommend it but they have been in a funk since Mark Salter, the Exec Chef departed a while ago. Maybe worth a shot as I have heard they have hired another new chef?

Not much else to recommend, the Town Dock Restaurant has a nice view, thats about it. My dear friend and colleague Michael Rorke is no longer the owner there and I have not heard a single good thing about the food.

The Acme Market is convenient for restocking supplies

If times allows, I highly recommend you take one night somewhere in the Wye, particularly Dividing Creek this time of year, but keep in mind it does fill fast on a holiday weekend. There are plenty of others coves to choose from though.

The Maritime Museum is wonderful, lots to see and learn about the bay. Spend some time in their restoration boat house if you can.

Have fun, St Michaels is one of our favorite small towns on the bay to visit.
Nicklaus likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 05-01-2013
sv Cordelia

Thanks for all the great responses. Keep 'em coming. My wife thinks I'm a natural at things like this, little does she know how much time I spend here and asking Google...

We will be heading out of the West River - either this weekend or next. Not Memorial Day weekend. Will probably stay at the dock that weekend and do daysails with friends.

Thanks for the anchorage pointers and the reminder that Crab Claw is cash only.

Old 05-01-2013

4arch is on a distinguished road

Big Al’s BBQ is a good place to grab lunch. It’s right across Talbot from the museum parking entrance. Awesome BBQ and I’ve heard also great crab cakes and crabs in season. It has a very local feel. Little to no indoor seating though – plan to sit outside at picnic tables or grab and go for a picnic.

I’m actually crazy enough to be considering going on Memorial Day weekend by boat. I participated in the maritime museum’s “Apprentice for a Day” boatbuilding program over the winter and the boat I helped build is scheduled to launch that Saturday at 1 PM. Unless the weather’s bad I’m sure it’ll be way too packed but I’d like to go anyway. To make it there by launch time the plan is to leave Friday night and sail overnight, arriving as the sun comes up. We’ll probably anchor in Leeds Creek and dinghy over to town for the festivities – then back to our boat in time for dinner on the hook.
Nicklaus likes this.
Old 05-01-2013
But if not...

paperbird is on a distinguished road

BTW, Shawn - the management of 208 changed about a year ago. Haven't been to it since the change. The chef de cuisine from 208 is now exec chef of Factors Row in downtown Annapolis, looking at a mid May grand opening.

Agree about Blue Crab Coffee. Great place 1 block off the main drag.
Nicklaus likes this.
Old 05-01-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
- 208 Talbot is perhaps some of the best food in town, excellent chef at the helm
I've always enjoyed 208 Talbot. I haven't been there since the change in management.

For anchoring, here is my favorite spot: https://activecaptain.com/X.php?lat=...14219&t=n&z=15
Nicklaus likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 05-01-2013
sv Cordelia

Just looked at 208's website. Looks like they are open again.