SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Kent Narrows

6K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  aa3jy 
#1 ·
Anyone been through yet this year? Any reported differences from Sandy the north side shoaling?

We are headed to the Wye over Memorial Weekend Sunday and want to take the quick way home Monday if we can.:)

Dave

#2 ·
I would contact Mears Marina and see if they can offer any local knowledge?

http://www.waterwayguide.com/navupdate-printable.php?area=4&sort_on=date_reported&sort_order=DESC

MD: Kent Island Narrows, northern approach, shoaling
The following is from the CG 5th District NTM 21/12.

Shoaling to a depth of less than 5.0 ft MLW has been reported in the center of the channel in the vicinity of Kent Island Narrows Northern Approach Lighted Buoy 3 (LLNR 26417). Chart: 12272.

Comment submitted by Margo Walker - Jan 31st

I would like to know if the dredging of the north channel in Kent Narrows has been scheduled yet.

Comment submitted by Pete Minott - Dec 24th

Latest NOAA chart depth for the channel is only 3'.

Comment submitted by Pete Minott - Dec 24th

Unfortunately funding of the dredging of the Kent Narrows Northern Approach has hit a snag. Date of dredging is uncertain at this time.

Comment submitted by Pete Minott - Jul 28th

The Kent Island Narrows Northern Approach will be dredged to a depth of 7' starting on November 1, 2012. Dredging should be complete by spring of 2013. Email me for further info.

Comment submitted by GrayCruiser - Jun 24th

This has been going on for years. Probably what is needed is a jetty along the North boundry of the channel to protect against the Chester tides and flow.

Comment submitted by John Tremel - May 24th

YOU WOULD THINK THAT SOMETHING WOULD BE DONE TO FIX THIS EVERY YEAR PROBLEM......WHY DON'T THEY DREDGE IT TO TEN FEET AND THEN THE SHOALING WOULD ONLY BE EIGHT FEET EACH YEAR.....

#3 ·
http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=1026574

Re: Kent Narrows

The channel to the north has changed. It is marked, but stay in the middle of the markers. There is a post on the east side as you enter the narrows be sure not to get to close. Then when you get between the fuel docks stay to the east side of the channel, it has shoaled in the middle as you approach the bridge. Be very aware of the current as you near the drawbridge, with the flow has right of way. It can be very fast. On the southside be sure to line up the green posts. the water is very thin on the west side. Have fun, fair winds.

#9 ·
Joel, you'd get stuck for sure. Last year per Sandy we went through 8 times (4 trips)

We saw 4.5 a few spots on the north side and the " moved " channel marked. With a temporary marker.

Dave

#12 ·
Monday was no better for tides. We couldn't get back in our slip in Rock Creek due to extreme low water. I didn't transit Kent Narrows but could only imagine the problems encountered. Too bad we don't have a report during normal conditions.

Tod

#14 ·
I am in a private slip farther up the creek than Oak Harbor. The water depth should be good now, I was talking about after Memorial Weekend. Tomorrow should be fun (not) with the heavy rain! Good luck...

Tod

#15 ·
My home port is Piney Narrows Yacht Haven. I've gone out to the north twice, once on Memorial day and Wednesday evening, and once to the south. I draw 5.5 feet. I got through on a rising tide that was about 1 ft above datum but I did scrap the bottom. the shallowest section is between marker 3 and 1/2 way to marker 5, (going south).

the deepest water is on the east side of the channel, possibly even just outside the channel to the east halfway between marker 5 and marker 3. I've passed close to the east of marker 3.

I'll bet low tide and when the wind is hard from the N, its less than 3 feet.

There is also a shoal north of the draw bridge with a shoal marker buoy. Stay to the west here.

#17 ·
Any updates? I have a charter planned for the weekend of August 3, 2013 and I was planning on heading down the Kent Narrows from Rock Hall to St. Michael's. The boat i was originally going to take had a 5' 6" draft. I was going to switch to a boat with a 4' 8" draft and I'm wondering if that would be a problem.

I've considered going around the point instead, but we'll have two kids on board (3 and 5) and I'm trying to avoid the extra few hours.

Also, by way of update, I spoke to a woman at Piney Narrows Yacht Haven and she confirmed that the dredging that was supposed to occur in the spring didn't happen. She said by law they can't dredge before June 30, 2013 (not sure why). She said she wasn't aware of the State's plans after June 30, 2013, but she said her associate believed it would be dredged in late July.

Kevin

#18 ·
While I haven't been through the narrows this year, I think you will be fine with the 4'8" draft as long as you don't transit during or shortly after conditions with strong northwest or northern winds that have prevailed for a couple of days. As others have said, keep to the eastern side of the channel between G3 and G5.

Tod

#23 ·
For anyone interested... here's a link to a sailing blog for guy that just did the Kent Narrows in early July 2013:

?Narrow? Kent Narrows, Scary Bridge and Stormy Night at Rock Hall Wall | Celerity Sailing

Not sure what his draft is, but I left him a message and we'll see if he reports back. Searching google seems to indicate that this boat (Morgan 382) has either a 5' or 6' draft. He said his depth sounder read "0" a few times, but he has 6" of play before he actually hits the bottom.

Kevin

Edit: Here's a quote from his blog regarding the northern channel:

The channel on other side of bridge is shallow....I pass over few spots with depth sounder reading zero (depth sounder has 6 inches to spare before I am on the bottom).....a little bit more shallow and I would be aground! And the channel is narrow...fortunately not too long and then we are released into the deeper Chester River and heading north (~22 nm) to Rock Hall, MD . Relief! I can breathe again.

#26 ·
Well I'm happy to report that we made it through the Narrows without incident. Our draft was 4' 8". The depth gauge went down to 4.2' at the lowest point (that I noticed). I think the depth gauge was calibrated so there were a few inches to spare though because heading back into the marina in Rock Hall, I made a few circles just outside the fuel dock waiting for another boat to leave, and the depth gauge went to 3.9'. If that were accurate, we would have run aground and we didn't.

Anyway, we hit at about 1:30 p.m. on a 3:30 p.m. high-tide and didn't have any problems. They did move the channel so you go outside around Green 3. They basically make Green 3 Red 4 and put a green can, which is now Green 3, if that makes any sense.

Good luck if you make the trip.

Kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.