SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Solomons Island - shuttle? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/99692-solomons-island-shuttle.html)

wavedancer38 05-21-2013 09:46 AM

Solomons Island - shuttle?

Hi,
We will be going to Solomons Island in early June. Since we won't have a car, is there any kind of public transportation to get from a marina to restaurants. The marina we are thinking of going too seems to be a far walk to the Tiki Bar. For that matter, do people still recommend going to the Tiki Bar, or is it a tourist trap?
Thanks

zz4gta 05-21-2013 10:10 AM

Re: Solomons Island - shuttle?

No public trans that I know of, but there are taxis and car services. What marina are you at? You can also contact SMSA about a transient slip depending on your needs. Much closer to the tiki bar.

The tiki bar is what it is. Nothing earth shattering, but with a good crowd it's fun just to watch the people, get a mai tai and try an orange crush. Stay away from opening and closing day.... unless you like getting roofied.

T37Chef 05-21-2013 10:13 AM

Like ZZ said, no shuttles or boat taxi services that I am aware of. What marina are you staying in, they may provide a shuttle?

We usually dingy over to the public dock near Catamarans and walk from there. If you're at Zanhizers or Spring Cove it is a bit of a walk into town on a busy road but doable, maybe 30 minutes?

BTW, avoid eating at Catamarans, horrible food and service! One of the worst dining experiences I have ever had anywhere!

wavedancer38 05-21-2013 10:48 AM

We were thinking of staying at Zanhizers. Maybe eating at the Dry Dock there, or at Stoney's Kingfishers. We will have been sailing for two days, so I would like a marina that has decent shower facilities, but that is not such a concern for the rest of the crew, who are all male! :)

wavedancer38 05-21-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T37Chef (Post 1033220)

BTW, avoid eating at Catamarans, horrible food and service! One of the worst dining experiences I have ever had anywhere!

Looks like Catamarans is now closed.

T37Chef 05-21-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavedancer38 (Post 1033254)
We were thinking of staying at Zanhizers. Maybe eating at the Dry Dock there, or at Stoney's Kingfishers. We will have been sailing for two days, so I would like a marina that has decent shower facilities, but that is not such a concern for the rest of the crew, who are all male! :)

Good to hear Catamarans is closed, it sucked! No wonder

Zanhizers & Spring Cove have excellent bathroom facilities with Spring Cove having the advantage ( I wish our club had bathrooms that nice, even half as nice, somewhat embarrassing that MYC bathrooms are in such poor condition to be honest). The restaurant near Spring Cove is not bad, not great either, typical bay fare with a pleasant atmosphere and good service.

T37SOLARE 05-21-2013 11:10 AM

I just read that Spring Cove is now offering shuttle service into town.

wavedancer38 05-21-2013 12:54 PM

Oh, wow, thanks for the info. That will help us decide where to stay.

ehmanta 05-21-2013 01:51 PM

If you are staying at Zahniser's, they have bikes that you can rent. Don't know how much and perhaps they're even free for transients???
It's really not that far of a walk, maybe ten minutes to Stoney's from Zahniser's??

Edit: Just went on their website, they are free.

Silvio 05-22-2013 07:29 AM

Zanhiser's has bikes for loan. The island is really small. We typically prefer to walk to dinner and such even though we park a car there. Tiki Bar is only 15-20 minutes walking at a leisurely pace, sidewalks and boardwalk all the way except in the residential neighborhood which has little to no traffic. Stoney's is quite good, there are also several smaller places worth having a meal at, the cafe just outside Zanhiser's is really good, on C Street and Solomons Rd(?).