Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rampant

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2013

Rampant is on a distinguished road
Chincoteague Island, VA report

Hello Sailors!

I wanted to share with you our experience visiting Chincoteague last week. Short answer: the channel is well marked, the city dock has good slips and the town is delightful. Wayne Merritt, the harbormaster, is very helpful. Rates are $1/ft per night. He cut us a break due to a "wait for weather".

My family (wife, two kids) traveled from Solomons on the Bay in our Camper & Nicholson 38 ketch "Rampant" drawing 5.5 ft. Anchored first night at Kiptopeake. It is about 60 miles to Chincoteague so we got an early start. Light winds made for an easy passage. Arrived on a rising tide and carried 13 feet over the bar. Warning - Channel has a sharp dogleg right. Got as low as 8 feet off the Island. Current is strong, I estimate 2-3 kts max.

Town dock has power and water (non-potable). Grassy field, covered picnic area, trash cans. Library is right there with wi-fi. About 5 restaurants within two blocks. Movie Theatre across the street! Bakery less than one block. (sounding nice yet? it was!) Bike rental is three blocks away. We biked to the Assateague beach (about 3 miles - free for bicyclists).

Dock was reasonably quiet, had some dredging work going on which got an early start, but we were not there to sleep! I didn't see another sailboat anywhere the whole week we were there! Its a shame because it is a beautiful place to visit. It is as lovely and quaint a beach town as I could hope for, and the people are very friendly and helpful.

I recommend it! If you have any questions please let me know and I will do my best.

Charles
S/V "Rampant" CN 38
jimgo likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Chincoteague Island, VA report

I havent visited Chicatague through the inlet since 1998 in a powerboat. The channel inside the inlet was deep and well marked and the dockage was great.

The problem as I remember are the sandbars on either side if the channel ( 3 ft deep water) extending southeast into the ocean at least two miles. In the summer the winds are predominately S/ SE and by mid afternoon often are at least 10-15 knots. The day we entered the inlet their was an oppposing current of 3 knots. The wave height on the ocean was only 2-3 ft.

When we approached the inlet the ocean waves had grown in height to 6-8 ft and because of the shallow long sandbars were breaking in significant whitewater waves accross the inlet. A sailboat would have had great difficulty maneuvering through this channel and it would have been downright dangerous. In a powerboat we were able to time the waves and rush in between them, but were still hit broadside a few times until we reached the calm water inside the inlet.

The next day when leaving 12 hours later the current was running the same....ebbing and there was very little wind 5 knots and there were still waves running across the inlet at about 3-5 ft. Of course we had to manuever into these walls of whitewater for about 15 minutes in a powerboat, but a sailboat would have taken much longer.

Has this changed or did you hit it on a particularly calm day with little current? Assuming you didnt see the conditions I saw what was you plan if the breakers were too large or swept across the chamnnel to forcefully. ( hard to see coming in from the opcean side behind them.), The reason you didnt see any sailboats is that this inlet is not a recommended one to traverse in current against tide conditions or any conditions where the wind is out of the NE.

Can you give us more information here because many before you have warned to stay away from this inlet. Ocena City just north doesnt have the sandbars and is also considered a challenging inlet for sailboats.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-19-2013

Rampant is on a distinguished road
Re: Chincoteague Island, VA report

Dear Chef2Sail,

You bring up some excellent points many of which may still be the case in certain weather conditions. I appreciate your account of your experience, and I am glad that mine was more benign.

With a little planning and some good fortune we managed to arrive and depart in light winds. My positive report had to do with my experience which was gentle conditions. Even so, I would be reluctant to enter under anything but good visibility and modest winds and seas. We have a powerful diesel, so that helps!

When we arrived the breeze was out of the S/SE on a rising tide so we were going with the current, wind and waves. There were breakers on either side of the channel but they were far away. The waves in the channel were 1-2 feet at most. I have a feeling the bars are much farther away now than they were when you entered.

On the sharp dogleg right, I could imagine how the current, winds and waves could set against the boat and try to push you out of the channel. The set was not a factor on our entry and exit in good conditions. I think the strong current was running with the channel.

There was shoaling at the green marker ("11") where the channel turns north again, so you have to give that a berth. The harbormaster told me that a good storm will change the channel quite a bit and they have to move the markers, but that it currently doesn't deserve its bad reputation. I called the harbormaster and obtained some local knowledge that convinced me we could handle it in good conditions.

I would suggest anyone else do the same and enter under good conditions only.

Charles
Old 06-19-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Good deal males sense. Probably a good idea to call ahead for conditions and changes

Great info and report

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Tags
chincoteague

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.