Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2013

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Delaware Bay August Persied Meteor Shower?

I am planning on an August 11 & 12 Persied Meteor Shower sail to the Cohansey River Mouth. The Cohansey mouth is far from any artificial light, except for the flashing light at the top of the Salem cooling tower, so if the sky is cloud free after midnight we will have a good show.

Good anchorage in the wider entrance thanks to Sandy or in Cohansey Cove.

I plan on sailing from Essington PA to Delaware City on Saturday August 10, then to the Cohansey on Sunday August 11.
Sunday and Monday nights at the Cohansey Entrance.
Monday day-sail to Ship John then back to Cohansey
Tuesday a 10 hour sail back to Essington ( it may be 12 hours) or Tuesday night at Delaware City then Wednesday back to Essington.

August is peak greenhead season so I will be hoping for a breeze out of the west.
jameswilson29 likes this.
Old 06-19-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Delaware Bay August Persied Meteor Shower?

Thats a great meteor shower, Bring your Avon skin-so soft- nettings and multiple fly swatters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
I am planning on an August 11 & 12 Persied Meteor Shower sail to the Cohansey River Mouth. The Cohansey mouth is far from any artificial light, except for the flashing light at the top of the Salem cooling tower, so if the sky is cloud free after midnight we will have a good show.

Good anchorage in the wider entrance thanks to Sandy or in Cohansey Cove.

I plan on sailing from Essington PA to Delaware City on Saturday August 10, then to the Cohansey on Sunday August 11.
Sunday and Monday nights at the Cohansey Entrance.
Monday day-sail to Ship John then back to Cohansey
Tuesday a 10 hour sail back to Essington ( it may be 12 hours) or Tuesday night at Delaware City then Wednesday back to Essington.

August is peak greenhead season so I will be hoping for a breeze out of the west.
I don't think I can make the scheduling work for this trip. However, I've been meaning to warn you to reserve early for any weekend stopovers at Delaware City. When I was there in June he was fully booked, though since I'm a repeat customer he found me a rented slip where the owner was away for the night. It was truly the only empty space left there. He said that he's getting yacht clubs reserving the whole marina for cruises most weekends. I'd call now to see if he's got space on August 10.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 07-24-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a great way to view the meteor shower! I won't be available those days, unfortunately, or I'd try to join you.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 07-29-2013

Got to make hay while the sun shines; income generating work requires me to be in Philadelphia Monday morning on August 12.

Revised schedule will have me departing the Cohansey in the morning of the 11th to pass Artificial Island after 10:00 AM for the change to flood tide and not later than 11:00 AM to ride the flood all the way to Essington, before 7:00 PM tidal current change.

So I will just have the beginning of the meteor shower on Saturday August 10.
Old 07-29-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

Quote:
Got to make hay while the sun shines; income generating work requires me to be in Philadelphia Monday morning on August 12.

Revised schedule will have me departing the Cohansey in the morning of the 11th to pass Artificial Island after 10:00 AM for the change to flood tide and not later than 11:00 AM to ride the flood all the way to Essington, before 7:00 PM tidal current change.

So I will just have the beginning of the meteor shower on Saturday August 10.
I'm glad business is good for you.

Your original plan was to sail to Delaware City Saturday, then to Cohansey on Sunday. If your return from Cohansey has been changed to Sunday, does that mean you are leaving Essington on Friday? Or are you going to do the round trip to/from Cohansey in two days (5am Essington departure at slack)?

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 07-30-2013

Departing Essington Friday before sun rise at about 6:00 AM, 2 hours after beginning of the ebb. I may depart at 5:00 AM.

Current changes to flood at Pea Patch about 11:00 AM, so I will stay at Delaware City Friday night, rather than fight the flood past Artificial Island.

Saturday morning departure from Delaware City before sunrise between 5:00 AM and 6:00 AM in the ebb after tidal current change at about 4:00 AM to ride the ebb past Artificial Island.

So two 5 hour sailing days to the Cohansey and one 10 hour or more sailing day back to Essington.
Old 08-06-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

FYI, our schedule is changing favorably so that a two-day cruise this weekend might be possible. However I'm thinking of heading through the canal to Bohemia River. We might anchor, or possibly stay at Bohemia Bay Yacht Harbour. That's one place that I might want to check out in case we decide to move our boat down to the Bay sometime. Currents are running perfectly for a 0700-0800 am departure from Essington to hit the east canal entrance at 1230.

I'm not trying to change your plan, just letting you know of an alternative plan in case you're interested.

Old 08-07-2013

The Cohansey is still my weekend destination, even though Saturday night is forecast as cloudy. Sunday is forecast as clear skies so I am just going in the hope that the skies clear before sunrise.

Last year I viewed the Persied from the west coast of Cape May County, with partial cloudy skies, and light spill over from the shore communities, between 3:00 AM and 4:00 AM two bright steaks and about ten dim ones were visible.

Winds are forecast at less than 10, with showers and thunderstorms on Friday and showers on Saturday.

Colin
Old 08-09-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

Quote:
The Cohansey is still my weekend destination, even though Saturday night is forecast as cloudy. Sunday is forecast as clear skies so I am just going in the hope that the skies clear before sunrise.

Last year I viewed the Persied from the west coast of Cape May County, with partial cloudy skies, and light spill over from the shore communities, between 3:00 AM and 4:00 AM two bright steaks and about ten dim ones were visible.

Winds are forecast at less than 10, with showers and thunderstorms on Friday and showers on Saturday.

Colin
Looks like a halfway decent weekend. Winds a little light, but from the right direction. Skies might be clear enough until midnight Saturday. Good luck!

We're planning to head to Bohemia Saturday, daysail around the area Sunday, and return Monday. Hopefully we'll get some clear skies one of the two nights.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.