Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2013

wavedancer38 is on a distinguished road
Delaware Bay - Flies?

We will be going from the Patapsco River to Cape May the end of August. Are the flies on the Delaware Bay as bad as I have heard? Hubby does not believe me. I told him to bring long sleeved shirts and socks. Does Skin So Soft help in keeping the flies off you?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
flies

Yes they are bad . Bring multiple fly swatters too
Make sure you play the currents on the Delaware for a good trip. Stay at Utsches.

We have made this trip over 25 times. The Chessie part is great. The Delaware River part is a long boring motorsail. You also don't have to stay in the channel. Plan on making the river in one day as there really is no good anchorages. Cohanessey as an emergency bailout. The lower Delaware Bay can be one of the roughest pieces of water in the afternoon if tide opposing wind a 3 ft square choppy waves every
4 seconds

I also would imagine you are over 53 ft mast height so you have to go around the Cape, but there is a channel near Prissy Wick shoals.

There are great restaurants in Cape May I lived in Ocean City, NJ for 18 years close byand loved it there. My mug is still on the Ugly Mug Wall. If you want some recommendations for restaurants or want to go over the Delaware trip plan feel free to PM me.

Have fun

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-02-2013

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Re: Delaware Bay - Flies?

August is the peak season for greenheads.

Worse close to salt marsh edges and inlets on the NJ side with light winds from the east.

When the east wind picks up after a light wind morning the green heads will be a problem all the way to the shipping channel.

When morning winds are strong the greenheads are less of a problem.

Some folks have good results with Avon skin so soft, but I Have had very good results with Badger sunscreen with citronella Bug Repellent Sunscreen SPF 34 Badger - Safe, All Natural Protection for the Whole Family

The Delaware Bay is a time a rough place to sail but not always as bad as some think.

All set for her swim across the Delaware Bay
Old 08-02-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
August is the peak season for greenheads.

Worse close to salt marsh edges and inlets on the NJ side with light winds from the east.

When the east wind picks up after a light wind morning the green heads will be a problem all the way to the shipping channel.

When morning winds are strong the greenheads are less of a problem.

Some folks have good results with Avon skin so soft, but I Have had very good results with Badger sunscreen with citronella Bug Repellent Sunscreen SPF 34 Badger - Safe, All Natural Protection for the Whole Family

The Delaware Bay is a time a rough place to sail but not always as bad as some think.

All set for her swim across the Delaware Bay
Have to agree with Colin here. He has sailed and anchored in those NJ salt marshes too

We always too long shorts and pants and socks and have had to don them as they will bite through anything else. Remember the Greenhead fly is the New Jersey state bird.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-02-2013

wavedancer38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Remember the Greenhead fly is the New Jersey state bird.
Ugg, OK, glad I asked. Best to be prepared. I ordered some of the Badger stuff. Thanks!
Old 08-02-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

When are you leaving? I'm thinking of moving my boat from Rock Hall to Barnegat Bay, departing the morning of Aug. 18. It would be great to have a "friendly" boat along.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 08-02-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Stay well away from all of the lighthouses. They hold massive fly colonies (love the bird poop); you can be doing fine, pass a light within a few hundred yards, and then spend the next 5 hours swatting flies.

As long as I avoid shore and the lights I've done fine.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 08-02-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Last trip down, we could not find a timing to ride the tide from Ches City to Cape May. Later in the day when the tide turned against us and the wind was 20 on the nose, we were doing 3 knots pushing the motor.
Would have been quite sloppy out at the mouth of the bay so we went to Cape Henlopen. Very glad we did. Took a break from the cr@ppy conditions and left early the next morn for Cape May.

Taking the shortcut inside Prissy Wicks shoal in 20 knot southerlys is not advised!

And yes, the flies are terrible, especially mid bay. I think they're radio active!
chef2sail likes this.
Old 08-02-2013

Ulladh is on a distinguished road

Greenheads don't usually leave an infected wound, but the wound from a black fly which may be a horse fly, should be cleaned and treated with an antibiotic cream.

The greenhead lays eggs in mud at the saltwater/freshwater margin where the larvae feast on smaller organism in the mud, a relatively clean environment.

The black fly lays eggs further inshore away from the saltwater/freshwater margin, closer to the farmed edges of the wetlands and is more exposed to animal waste and agricultural contaminants.
Old 08-02-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

And just for irony- remember - only the females bite!

When in this area under assault from Greenheads we usually dispatch them with a yell of "Die Bitch!" OK, not politically correct but i bet you do it to!