SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Alligator River Bridge closed at Mile 84

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  aa3jy 
#1 ·
A phone call today 3/20 to the 5th District Bridge Section confirmed that the Alligator River Swing Bridge has a sheared turning gear which requires actual fabrication to replace. NC DOT is moving as quickly as possible, but a date of completion of the repairs is not available at this point. Alligator River Bridge crosses the Alligator River section of the ICW at Statute Mile 84, south of flashing daybeacon #12.

#6 · (Edited)
Are you referring to the passage around Roanoke Island? The west passage has a 43' fixed bridge and the east passage has shallow draft on the northern end.
Depths around the top of Roanoke Island are not that bad, one should have no trouble getting 6' or perhaps a bit more through there, given normal water levels... And if you're lucky enough to get a nice SW breeze blowing up Pamlico Sound, that should bump the water level through there up a bit, especially if you timed it with high water at Oregon Inlet...

I haven't been through there recently, but I don't think I've ever seen less than about 7 or 7.5 feet around there... If anyone is in doubt, they should contact the towing services in Manteo, or the folks at the marinas in Shallowbag Bay for the latest, they've always sounded very helpful on the radio...

#7 ·
Recommendations from the Cruisers Net.

Rick Brass - March 20, 2015 - 11:54 am
If northbound cruisers are on a schedule during the bridge repairs, and need an alternate route, I would suggest leaving the ICW at the crossing of the Pamlico River (at about SM 150) and swing east. You will go through Pamlico Sound, with potential stops in Engelhart on the west side of the sound and Manteo on Roanoke Island, and return to Albemarle Sound and the ICW on the north side of Roanoke Island. Manteo, BTW, is a nice cruising destination and well worth the trip.
If you have time to wait for the bridge to be repaired, and are looking for an hospitable spot to wait and explore, swing west about 25 miles on the Pamlico River and visit the Washington Waterfront Docks. Easy access with deep water slips. A number of good restaurants and places to explore. A good place to provision, with West Marine and a number of parts suppliers and repair opportunities. And if you need a free slip without power and water (but with nice heads and showers, and laundry facilities for boaters) you can mention this post and I will waive the 48 hour limit on free dockage.
Rick Brass
Dockmaster
Washington Waterfront Docks

George Barr - March 20, 2015 - 10:37 am
To any northbound cruisers in the interim. The alternate route starts at Oriental …down the Nuese River and into the Pamlico Sound heading north. ‘
Possible stops/marinas are Silver Lake in Ocracoke, Big Trout Marina in Englehard (45 miles from Oriental on the Western shore of the Pamlico,
Manteo Waterfront Marina off Shallowbag Bay on Roanoke Island 45 miles from Big Trout…and then north through the Albemarle to Coinjock 35 miles away.
The passage is open and deep and has only one fully 65′ bridge and is 17 miles shorter than the ICW. Of course, weather must be considered as it is less protected. Hope this helps in the interim.

#9 · (Edited)
Recommendations from the Cruisers Net.

George Barr - March 20, 2015 - 10:37 am
To any northbound cruisers in the interim. The alternate route starts at Oriental …down the Nuese River and into the Pamlico Sound heading north. '
Possible stops/marinas are Silver Lake in Ocracoke, Big Trout Marina in Englehard (45 miles from Oriental on the Western shore of the Pamlico,
Manteo Waterfront Marina off Shallowbag Bay on Roanoke Island 45 miles from Big Trout…and then north through the Albemarle to Coinjock 35 miles away.
The passage is open and deep and has only one fully 65′ bridge and is 17 miles shorter than the ICW. Of course, weather must be considered as it is less protected. Hope this helps in the interim.
Hmmm, not sure where he's getting that distance comparison from... It's been a LONG time since I actually stepped off the Pamlico Sound route passing to the W of Roanoke Island with a pair of dividers, but I always figured it was virtually identical in distance to running the ICW, within a mile or two, if memory serves... That's always the preferred way to go with a fast powerboat, after all, as you never have to slow down for anything... But going up the Old House Channel behind Oregon Inlet and to the E of Manteo, it adds some distance due to the doglegs around the top of the island to avoid shoal water... And, for anyone who was planning to go the Dismal Swamp Route, heading that far E is gonna add a lot more distance, by the time you've made it all the way back across Albemarle to Elizabeth City...

Additionally, if one is gonna stop at Ocracoke or Englehard to break the trip up, they're situated a considerable distance off the route up the Sound, whereas all the stops or anchorages along the ICW are pretty close to the Magenta Line...

#11 ·
Going the east side of Roanoke is really no different than traversing many other parts of the ICW. A long boring channel that requires paying attention.

#12 ·
Carolinas & Georgia
Alligator River Bridge closed until further notice
Date Reported: Mar 20, 2015
AIWW Mile: 84.2
Reported by: Ted Stehle

Due to a mechanical breakdown the Alligator River Bridge is closed until further notice. We will provide updates as they become available.

WG

Reader Comment: This morning, March 20th, the USCG is reporting that the Alligator River Bridge at SM 84 on the ICW, just south of the junction of the Alligator River and Albemarle Sound, is closed. A gear in the mechanism that opens the bridge has sheared, and anew gear will need to be machined before the bridge can be repaired. NCDOT has not yet given an estimate of when repairs will be complete, though I'm sure it has a high priority. For northbound cruisers on the AICW who are on a schedule, an alternate route around the bridge would be to head east into Pamlico Sound at the intersection of the ICW and Pamlico River, about SM 150, and head for Roanoke Island. Passing east of Roanoke Island will bring you out to the east end of Albemarle Sound, where you can rejoin the ICW about SM 70. Potential stops along the way would include Englehart and Manteo. Manteo, in particular, is a nice cruising destination and astop there would make the detour worth the effort. For cruisers that have time, and are looking for a charming southern town in which they can wait, turn west on the Pamlico River and go about 25 miles to the Washington Waterfront Docks. There is easy access and deep water in the protected harbor. The docks have new heads, showers and laundry facilities for boaters. There are a large number of restaurants, shops, and attractions within easy walking. Provisioning is convenient, as are West Marine and a number of marine service providers. Free docks are available. Mention the Alligator Bridge closing when you register and the Dock Attendants will waive the customary 48 hour period on free dockage.

Rick Bass

#13 ·
My friend reports that the Alligator River Bridge has been repaired and is open for marine traffic. He has called the bridge tender who confirmed that report. So the ICW in NC is now back open for returning snowbirders!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 · (Edited)
Thanks for the report. I think it was also mentioned on the Waterway Radio and Cruising Net this morning..

Alligator River Bridge has reopened

Region: Atlantic ICW - VA thru GA
Date Reported: Mar 23, 2015
Reported By: Mike Ahart, News Editor
Source: Alligator River Bridge

Quick work by NCDOT! Rick Bass, Dockmaster at the Washington NC Waterfront Docks informs us that the bridge is back open:

A phone call today, 3/23, to the USCG 5th District Bridge Section confirmed that the Alligator River Swing Bridge has now re-opened. A bent shaft was pulled, straightened and replaced successfully to allow full operation. NC DOT did a great job getting the bridge operational so quickly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.