SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Barnegat/ Tice's Shoal

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  tempest 
#1 ·
I know tice's is a weekend party destination, Does anyone have any experience spending the night on the hook there? I'm looking for places to hang out overnight on weekends and would prefer to not just camp out in the marina.

Second question .. Is tice's an official anchorage? Some guides say it is, some don't. My reason for the question is according to the rules I've read, you don't need to show an anchor light at night if you're in a designated anchorage. Do you gunkholers always keep an anchor light going even when you're tucked up an out of the way cove?

#3 ·
I haven't anchored there, but to clarify your second question: "Special Anchorages" will be shown on the actual charts (NOAA charts) and are relatively rare. Guides (like ours) will list and show many anchorages, along with the protection, bottom type, holding, depths, etc…, but they are generally not "Special Anchorages" - you are required use an anchor light no matter how far you're tucked into the cove. Here's an example on our WG Explorer - None of the 8 or so anchorages shown are "Special Anchorages" - Anchorage map of the Waterway Guide centered on 39.83385008019448, -74.1002082824707 | Waterway Explorer anchorage map
Hope this helps. Happy cruising!

#4 · (Edited)
It was a nice quiet anchorage in the 80's and 90's when I kept a boat on the bay. From what I hear today, you could walk to shore on the number of boats there on a summer weekend. I used to leave work on Fridays though and head straight to the boat, I had the bay to myself on Friday night. You would need an Anchor light. Tices is not a "Special Anchorage".

North and West of the Matthis Bridge is a little spot called Applegate Cove on the chart, that is a nice place to hang out. Further north on the Metedeconk River there's a few coves that you can tuck in to. Anchor light needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.