SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

New Boat Owner Trying to Get to Cape May

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  chef2sail 
#1 ·
Hi there -

I see that some of you have quite an amount of posts about the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays, and was hoping to pick your brain about a run from the Sassafras River to Cape May.

So, a little rundown on my side: I just became the owner of my aunt's former 1976 27' Catalina and am looking to take it from Georgetown YB on the Sassafras to Cape May Inlet. My own sailing skills have been stifled as I haven't been on a boat regularly for almost a decade. Before that I was working on an 80' schooner as a summer job, along with using the Catalina referenced above.

Now, the boat is sitting dry-docked, hasn't been maintained in years, and I have....quite a few challenges ahead of me, to say the least. I'm weighing whether I should keep the boat dry docked for a while and do my repairs/cleanups and wait till next season to launch for Cape May, or whether I should have a mechanic at Georgetown do a basic inspection of the boat and let me know if I'm in decent enough shape to make the run this season (I'd rather pay for a place I prefer to be than overpaying to sit idle).

I guess my questions are:

1)Any chance any of you know of any reasonably priced marine mechanics near Georgetown YB that would be less money than Georgetown's staff?

2) Any chance any of you know of any reasonably priced boatyards in Cape May that dry dock boats for not an exorbitant amount of money?

I know the bilge probably needs to be replaced, so that's a priority.

My ideal plan is if someone - with more knowledge and expertise than me - can tell me if the engine is stable enough to make the run down to CP; install a new bilge; dock the boat in the water in CP for the summer and enjoy doing my cosmetic improvements while having a place to sleep at the beach; then dry dock the boat in CP every winter, and wait to paint the hull this coming offseason.

Any answers to the above would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
JearlPam ... do a search on this site for "C & D Canal" or "Delaware Bay" for some precision in transiting both the Canal and the Del Bay so you get the 'best' ride down to Cape May.

The C&D can be problematic if you transit when the tidal flow is in the wrong direction ... and also the Del. Bay can be a VERY 'snotty' place when the NW or SE winds are strong and against the direction of the tidal flow. You should find all you need in those archived posts.

Welcome to SNet.

#3 ·
Where do you live?

Why take it to Cape May?

You can always winter the boat in one place and the move it to Cape May for the season.

There is Delaware City Marina, a do it yourself yard with a decent mechanic at the east end of the C&D.

Then there is Greenwich part way down to Cape May with haul facilities. It's on the Jersey side. Also do it yourself hard.

#5 ·
Good point.

I live in Philadelphia. I'll have to look into those yards - there really isn't anything holding me back from using a different location for the winter.

I want to take it to Cape May because I've grown up in the summers going either down the shore or to Maryland. I prefer spending the summers down Cape May/the Crest. So I see it as a cheaper alternative to buying a house down there, though I know it's not cheap in its own rite. I've always loved the easy in/out to the ocean from Cape May Inlet as well.

#4 ·
Delaware Bay and River is no place to take a boat which hasn't been thoroughly checked out. The Bay can become a very challenging pounding ride if the conditions are not ideal. We have done this trip over 50 times. That being said the advice to search the forums for advise on this transit is good advice. Auspicious and I have posted many times about this trip.

Utches in Cape May is a family owned marina which will allow DYI stuff. However I think more sailboat knowledge is available where you have you boat on the Chessie.

Reactions: Jearlpam0925
#6 ·
No, you're right. I fully appreciate the challenge of this - especially since I haven't been on this boat regularly for nearly a decade. I'm not leaving Georgetown until I feel confident enough to do so, even if that means not departing until next season. That said - if I can fix the bilge, boat doesn't leak, make sure my electronics are up-to-date, and the engine is reliable then there's a fair chance I'll leave as soon as I can.

And I'll be sure to keep in mind the direction of the wind and the tides so I don't have to fight either while getting nailed by some nasty waves.

I'm familiar with Utsch's, good people there.

Thanks again for the replies. I'll be sure to keep researching older posts on the subject.

#7 ·
If you live in Philly (we did) and want to sail Cape May then Greenwich is closer. It's also a pretty are.

OTOH there is not much right close to Greenwich. At Delaware City there is a West Marine and various supply sources relatively nearby. Graingers and such. It might be more convienient if you are going to do a lot of work yourself. Not sure but the drive times may be similar.

Good luck.

#11 ·
I get that you are looking at your newly acquired boat as a floating weekend house in Cape May. We too love Cape May so I understand your desire. I would encourage you to think about the following to make the best possible decision.

1) How many people are in your family? The Catalina 27 is not a large boat and you might find it quite close for anything more than 2 people. Think rainy weekend...

2) Where would you keep it? CM marinas are not exactly close to anything. You can get around by the trolley if it still runs.

3) CM marinas are pricey. Check out the costs at South Jersey Marinas and Utches Marinas.

4) CM inlet is a good safe and wide inlet that will give you good day sails in the ocean. Sailing to Lewes, DE is also a good place to go on the weekend.

Good luck on your decision. You can always change up your location once you get tired of one. Boats move. That's a good thing.

The Delaware can be tough but can simply be long and boring depending upon your choice of weather windows. Get your boat checked out at Georgetown Yacht Basin including an engine eval. You won't regret the decision as it helps prevent breakdowns at sea. Insurance companies want you to get a survey anyway. Get towboat/US insurance too. Good safety backup just in case.

Tod

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.