Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2009
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
Hey, Smack! Have you gotten into racing yet? You really need to do some Frostbiting (or Mildly-Chillying for you folks down in warmer climes). Good BFS material.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2009
Apropos of Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Up my way its mostly small fishing boats trolling for rock.
Yeah, you have it right. We race in the Severn and the boats blow through there in transit to the fishing areas. No speed limits this time of year. I think they'll disappear after the first good cold day.
Old 11-24-2009

lapworth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by painkiller View Post
Yeah, you have it right. We race in the Severn and the boats blow through there in transit to the fishing areas. No speed limits this time of year. I think they'll disappear after the first good cold day.
The fishing season goes till Dec.15 but they usually extended it to Jan.1 (this is the best time for them).
Old 11-24-2009
ex-Navy

bloodhunter is on a distinguished road
Yeah, This past weekend was great, but for me that will wrap up the season. Our daughter is getting married this Sunday and my wife threatens death and destruction if I even mention going down to the boat . Then it's December and time to winterize and haul (sigh). Twas a great season though.
Old 11-24-2009
"Mentally Unbalanced"

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhunter View Post
Twas a great season though.
Thats it is/was! No complaints here, even with a wet spring and October, the summer was mild and better wind than normal...hopefully a spring Sailnet rendezvous will happen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 11-28-2009

Garffin is on a distinguished road
Every marina that I have stopped in the past two weeks I have asked this question. From Chesapeake City to the West River. Why are all the boats all wrapped up in this white cocoon? Or on the hard? I guess having spent most of my boating life in the pacific NW and Alaska the idea of taking a boat out of the water for the winter just seems sort of weird. I first saw this when I was in Dillingham AK in the spring. All the fishing boats where on the hard. I asked the skipper why did everyone put their boats on the hard? He looked at me as if I were crazy. I later looked at some pictures of the whole Bristol Bay frozen over with huge ice everywhere. So in lue of the bay being totally frozen over why do so many people pull out? I plain on sailing all winter I hope. I did see a picture the other day at a beer/wine store Home Port in galesville on the west river with some cars parked on the west river after it had frozen over. But that picture was in 1920s . I leave my outboard running for an extra 5 min. every time I boat just to warm things up a bit!
Old 11-29-2009
Apropos of Nothing

Insurance! Many local policies are not 12-month policies. For example, my boat has to be winterized and inoperative from Dec. 1 - Mar. 31. I could pay for a winter rider, but once you get into late December through February, it's hit-or-miss with the weather. I Frostbite and when March comes around, I often wonder why I do it. December has some nice sailing, though!

Also, I don't know if this is unique to our area or not, but a lot of people that keep their boats on the Bay come from far elsewhere. For example, boats in my marina are owned by people that live in Texas and they fly in every now and then for some sailing. A LOT of people in Annapolis drive in from Philly and other parts of PA. Once it starts getting cold, the odds of making the trek to experience sucky weather get higher, so why not winterize and come back next spring?
Old 11-29-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
I feel she is a bit selfish when it gets frosty. The wind is up, and she would Chaînés along showing off how beautiful she is like a skater sliding around in dull light. I'm sympathetic to her need for introspection and I don't like to disappoint, but when it is cold I feel indulging her vanity comes at too high a cost to her crew.

"Because the world is round it turns me on
Because the world is round ... aaaaaaaahhhhhhh

Because the wind is high it blows my mind
Because the wind is high ... aaaaaaaahhhhhh

Love is all, love is new
Love is all, love is you

Because the sky is blue it makes me cry
Because the sky is blue ... aaaaaaaahhhhhh

Aaaaaaaahhhhhh" - The Beatles

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-29-2009
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
I'll be out there today...bringing the boat home at last. I don't know how people who keep their boat on a mooring vs. a berth sleep at night. The last 2 days of wind have had me fraught with worry.
Old 11-29-2009

nuffoftexas is on a distinguished road
There are times in Jan Feb where, even though it looks like water out there, there is sheet ice formed at/near the surface of the Chesapeake. Mostly northern areas I guess. This stuff can chew at your hull like someone with a sharp knife. I've seen powerboats with cuts all the way through the hull. Heard a story once where one opened up and sank. Very cold water to go down in. Perhaps not as big an issue with sailboats though. Also, if the ice gets thicker, just rocking in your slip can do some pretty good damage to the waterline. Best scenario there is a quick freeze to solid. Doesn't always happen though. Sea water circulators that bring the warmer water up from the bottom help a lot. Most people just haul out for 3 months.

Last edited by nuffoftexas; 11-29-2009 at 09:56 AM.