SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Ahoy There

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  WouldaShoulda 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey SailNetters. We thought we'd go for a short sail this morning and be back by one but oh what a gorgeous day on the Bay! Had good winds and lots of fun. We didn't get back till 5 and my husband and I are both sunburned. Ah well. :)

Saw Aeolus II and would have said hi over the radio but my little boy was sleeping on me so I couldn't get up.

Any one else out today?

#2 ·
Yes, it was glorious! We came from just north of Solomons to Annapolis. A bit rough very early in the AM, then wonderful, then too light - and the Bay was as crowded as the Beltway at rush hour - then nice again, now we're tied up in the slip waiting for the rain.

#3 ·
Hey SailNetters. We thought we'd go for a short sail this morning and be back by one but oh what a gorgeous day on the Bay! Had good winds and lots of fun. We didn't get back till 5 and my husband and I are both sunburned. Ah well. :)

Saw Aeolus II and would have said hi over the radio but my little boy was sleeping on me so I couldn't get up.

Any one else out today?
My wife and I were out from Noon Friday till about 6pm, then 7:30 to 4:00 or so moving our boat from Deltaville to Herrington South. Sadly, we motored the whole way since things came up and I only had Friday and Saturday to get the boat moved. My closest friend is undergoing cancer surgery Monday and I wanted to get home Sunday, so I could go give some moral support. Since I was on travel last week, I couldn't even get an early start Friday, so we just drove right on up the bay.

We're happy to be here and sorry we didn't get to take our time and sail but at least our season is officially started, and I'll be able to visit with my friend tomorrow.

#4 ·
I should have added we're in a 1983 Cal 27: Shaman. We love it so much (just had it about 2 weeks) but we're already dreaming of bigger and better. :)

I think we need a SailNet flag to recognize each other out there. ;)

#13 ·
I think we need a SailNet flag to recognize each other out there. ;)
You can pick up a SN Burgee in the store...I'll flying ours at the rendezvous :)

It was a great weekend, we choose to stay in Swan Creek the whole time and just relax and enjoy some downtime...everything has been so busy lately. We enjoyed a great sail over and back, couldn't ask for much better!

#6 ·

Any one else out today?
Well, yes we were there... and took a couple snaps of Raggdoll (see my webpage). It is ways fun to sail with other Catalina 27s. When you turned around we could hear the cries of a small child, reason enough to make of port. Where do you hail from? I am out of West River not far from where we met up. It was a glorious day, with no wind predicted I was pleasantly surprised to find maybe 6-10 knots.

#7 ·
We're in a Cal 27, not a Catalina 27. We envy your helm (we've got a tiller). The small child you heard crying was not my son, thank goodness. To my surprise, he just slept and slept and slept. He woke up while we were motoring home. We are out of the South River, which is where I thought I saw you headed. We were going the opposite direction as you (towards the light house).

#8 ·
Our vessel is also named Aeolus II (O'day 27 w/outboard and tiller)

We sailed out of and back into the S River from 11am to about 2pm on 05/22/10.

It was a short trip because we had to pick up our car at the shop we had dropped off earlier.

Was one of the better "bad days for sailing" we've had!!

The wind was picking up as we headed in but the sun was out and it was a nice day dipite the forcast!!

#9 ·
WouldaShoulda: It must have been you we saw then! And obviously neither myself nor my husband remembers the encounter very well, since he got the name wrong and I remembered it as having a helm. Ah well, nice to have the mystery solved because I thought I was going crazy. We must have seen you at the end of your sail. Maybe over Memorial Day we'll catch you again.

If you see Shaman (it says St. Micheal's as home port still) give us a shout out...unless that's not cool or something. ;) I'm still so new to this I know no better.

#14 ·
Reefing Is Good

Wowza what winds out on the Bay today! Really intense sailing. I am bruised, scrapped, cut, I've got some slight rope burn on my hands, and my butt is sore from perching on the gunnel the whole time.

Lessons learned:
1) reef early.
2) put the less useful passenger all the way aft and let the more experienced crew member have easier access to the cabin and the winches.

We saw the Rosebud again. We saw lightning strike the mast of the Joss, which was in a slip on Beard's Creek.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.