SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake / Central US east coast (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-central-us-east-coast/)
-   -   Buddy boats for a Cape May trip? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-central-us-east-coast/65911-buddy-boats-cape-may-trip.html)

deniseO30 06-24-2010 06:49 PM

Buddy boats for a Cape May trip?

Too scared to go alone and my 1st mate can't get away to go with me. Thinking, late August? :D

bljones 06-25-2010 01:05 AM

You're not scared, you're prudent.

I'd offer to crew but my liver couldn't take it.

rockDAWG 06-27-2010 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deniseO30 (Post 616589)
Too scared to go alone and my 1st mate can't get away to go with me. Thinking, late August? :D

Let me know if you need a crew :) Just get back from a Demarva circumnavigate trip yesterday. I want to sail more.

sailingdog 06-27-2010 03:04 PM

Did you want crew or did you want a buddy boat to sail along with???

gershel 07-07-2010 11:02 AM

Denise,
STOP IT!!! You're over-thinking(agonizing) this thing. I've read your previous posts, and i think your more than capable. Being cautious is something you should have , just for a day sail.
If you buddy boat, you may be following someone with questionable judgement. Do your own planning, use your own gut instinct, but don't follow.
Current and wind are the main things for Del. Bay. I usually try to leave the mouth of the C&D about 1-2 hours before high tide or slack current. It's a little slower at the beginning of the trip, but the current will be with you the rest of the way. At that time of year, plan on motoring the whole way, but you may get lucky and be able to motor-sail.
When your heading back, you may just enjoy one of the best sails you've ever had.
Don't be on a schedule, plan well, and go for it.
Enjoy, Marc

chef2sail 07-07-2010 04:46 PM

Denise,

You certainly have enough experience from your Chesapeake trips to do this on your own if you want.

We have done this trip many times and are doing it again on July 24. The trick is to play the tides as Gershel said. Once you reach the Nuke plant just follow the charts in the depth areas you can travel in. It is not necessary to go from bouy to channel bouy at all and this will help you cut many miles off of the trip. Play the inside angles except stay in the channnel at "Cross Ledge". If you follow the advice you can get to the wide part of the Delaware Bay where the incomming current isnt as strong when running against you. Unfortunately you will face it some of your trip if your destination is Cape May. Make the most of the outgoing tide heading down by starting 2 hours before the turn of tides.

If your mast is under 54 feet you can take the Cape may canal and save 2 hours or so. Stay at Utsches. They are old friends of mine and my family. They have a trolley which you can use to go in town or walk its not that far.

If you want more info or need to talk about some of the parts of the trip feel free to PM me.

Dave

deniseO30 07-07-2010 05:17 PM

Oh hey sorry everyone! I"ve been busy since the heat hit the area. I am in the hvac biz.. sign.. I may try the trip end of Summer thank you all for your encouragement!

pdqaltair 07-07-2010 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deniseO30 (Post 616589)

Unless there is is strong wind against tide and you're going into it, the Delaware is no special threat. Go for it. If the wind is nasty and on the nose, wait. It probably wouldn't be dangerous, but it wouldn't be fun either.

I've been to Cape May perhaps 40 times (my father is an artist and paints there - blog listed below) and perhaps 10 times by boat. We have also waited a day to leave a few times, when the weather the next day was better.

Sail Delmarva
Ken Frye - Artist

Cape Island Bikes (690-884-8011) will bring a rental bike to any marina!
Utsches is nice (609-884-2051) but they don't like my beam! You may see us over at South Jersey Marina at about that time.

jdilliplane1 03-29-2011 03:51 PM

did you ever end up making the trip and I hope your offer still stands from last year? I definitely am in a better position this year with everything!!!