Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Buddy boats for a Cape May trip?

Too scared to go alone and my 1st mate can't get away to go with me. Thinking, late August?

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
You're not scared, you're prudent.

I'd offer to crew but my liver couldn't take it.
Old 06-27-2010
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Too scared to go alone and my 1st mate can't get away to go with me. Thinking, late August?
Let me know if you need a crew Just get back from a Demarva circumnavigate trip yesterday. I want to sail more.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 06-27-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Did you want crew or did you want a buddy boat to sail along with???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-07-2010

gershel is on a distinguished road
Denise,
STOP IT!!! You're over-thinking(agonizing) this thing. I've read your previous posts, and i think your more than capable. Being cautious is something you should have , just for a day sail.
If you buddy boat, you may be following someone with questionable judgement. Do your own planning, use your own gut instinct, but don't follow.
Current and wind are the main things for Del. Bay. I usually try to leave the mouth of the C&D about 1-2 hours before high tide or slack current. It's a little slower at the beginning of the trip, but the current will be with you the rest of the way. At that time of year, plan on motoring the whole way, but you may get lucky and be able to motor-sail.
When your heading back, you may just enjoy one of the best sails you've ever had.
Don't be on a schedule, plan well, and go for it.
Enjoy, Marc
Old 07-07-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Denise,

You certainly have enough experience from your Chesapeake trips to do this on your own if you want.

We have done this trip many times and are doing it again on July 24. The trick is to play the tides as Gershel said. Once you reach the Nuke plant just follow the charts in the depth areas you can travel in. It is not necessary to go from bouy to channel bouy at all and this will help you cut many miles off of the trip. Play the inside angles except stay in the channnel at "Cross Ledge". If you follow the advice you can get to the wide part of the Delaware Bay where the incomming current isnt as strong when running against you. Unfortunately you will face it some of your trip if your destination is Cape May. Make the most of the outgoing tide heading down by starting 2 hours before the turn of tides.

If your mast is under 54 feet you can take the Cape may canal and save 2 hours or so. Stay at Utsches. They are old friends of mine and my family. They have a trolley which you can use to go in town or walk its not that far.

If you want more info or need to talk about some of the parts of the trip feel free to PM me.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-07-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Oh hey sorry everyone! I"ve been busy since the heat hit the area. I am in the hvac biz.. sign.. I may try the trip end of Summer thank you all for your encouragement!

my current "project"!
Old 07-07-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Unless there is is strong wind against tide and you're going into it, the Delaware is no special threat. Go for it. If the wind is nasty and on the nose, wait. It probably wouldn't be dangerous, but it wouldn't be fun either.

I've been to Cape May perhaps 40 times (my father is an artist and paints there - blog listed below) and perhaps 10 times by boat. We have also waited a day to leave a few times, when the weather the next day was better.

Sail Delmarva
Ken Frye - Artist

Cape Island Bikes (690-884-8011) will bring a rental bike to any marina!
Utsches is nice (609-884-2051) but they don't like my beam! You may see us over at South Jersey Marina at about that time.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Last edited by pdqaltair; 07-07-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-29-2011

jdilliplane1 is on a distinguished road
did you ever end up making the trip and I hope your offer still stands from last year? I definitely am in a better position this year with everything!!!