Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2010

swampcreek is on a distinguished road
Pirates and wenches, Rock Hall

The Pirates and Wenches Fantasy Weekend is this weekend in Rock Hall. Due to circumstances beyond my control the best I could do (If possible) would to sail over for Sunday only. Is anyone familiar with this? Would it be worth just going on Sunday or are they mostly just wrapping it up then?
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life should be an adventure, not a guided tour!
Not all of us in the herd are sheep.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2011

Wow, this post is a year old. Didn't make it there last year but we're really considering it again. This year we even have a dinghy to take along. Any suggestions, thoughts?
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-04-2011

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
First year we went by car..second year we went by boat. We anchored in Swan Creek in the multitude of boats. We brought along bicycles..glad we did..'cause with all the traffic..that was the best way to get around.

Bottom line..got to crowded..first few years was bearable..now to many to contend with..

Rock Hall's Pirate and Wenches Fantasy Weekend - August 12-14, 2011
Old 08-04-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Did NOT do that, bought the t-shirt after all was quiet again.

I will be LEAVING Rock Hall for that weekend.

Swampcreek, if you have a dinghy and dress like a pirate, I understand there's some sort of dinghy race from the harbor to the beach. I'm hoping they don't close down the channel before we can escape.

Have fun if you make it this year!

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-04-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Sounds utterly appalling.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 08-04-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Sounds utterly appalling.
Well, it isn't to everyone's taste, 'tis true. Probably why I've never been in the six years we've had our boat there. The only reason why we're even in town that weekend is because we're heading down to Annapolis.

Rock Hall is trying to survive the transition from being a working waterman's town to a tourist town after the fishing industry that supported it for the past couple of hundred years collapsed. They have to compete with every other town on the Bay doing the same thing. If it brings $ to the locals, so be it.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-04-2011

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
..and the town locals use this as an excuse to get drunk and unruly under the watchful eye and glee of the tourist. Was fun the first time around..not for me now..

Clay
s/v 'Tango'
Cabo Rico 34
Lankford Bay Marina
Old 08-04-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Oh I understand why the town would like the concept and yep, you need some way to keep a small town's economy alive. I'm just too much of an anti social old killjoy to find anything good to think about it beyond the bucks. Reality is though that lots of folks like these kind of festivals and to every one their own. Lets face it, I'd rather have the mongol hordes Pirate and Wenching than wanting to drop anchor in some nice quite little cove.

Sydney Harbour is renowned for its NewYear fireworks. The harbour is wall to wall boats, biggest night of the year. We found an anchorage from which you cannot see the fireworks. Perfect NewYear for the anti social. Empty anchorage.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 08-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Did NOT do that, bought the t-shirt after all was quiet again.

I will be LEAVING Rock Hall for that weekend.

Swampcreek, if you have a dinghy and dress like a pirate, I understand there's some sort of dinghy race from the harbor to the beach. I'm hoping they don't close down the channel before we can escape.

Have fun if you make it this year!
Dinghy yes, pirate clothes no. We just bought a dinghy back in the spring but havn't even tried it out yet. We've been VERY busy this year taking care of family matters. Still considering the festival, I LOVE a good party but don't care too much for HUGE crowds anymore, or rude idoits that are usually found in huge crowds (My former hardcore biker self sighs). We're also invited to go camping along with a bunch of friends in Cherrystone Va. They want us to bring the Hobie 16 down. I'm up in the air, this will be our first weekend to play since Bike Week in Johnstown Pa. 5 or 6 weeks ago, we'd really like to take the Mac out and do our own thing but everyone wants us to go camping and we could take the Hobie along. The kid in me still likes the idea of the Pirate thing...Oh well, decisions, decisions.
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats

Old 08-14-2011

We made it...

We were going to head somewhere else for the weekend but on the way out Friday I called a friend and he asked where I was at. I said I was getting ready to go out on the boat after I get my supply of bow lights (My boat eats them up). He said he was docked at Rock Hall, so I told the crew we were going after all, she was fine with that as long as we were sailing somewhere, since we had a particular destination and were now running late for a particular destination we left the dinghy home.

Arrived at Rock Hall late Friday afternoon and tied to the city dock one boat away from our friends. We met up and had dinner & more than a few drinks, went to bed late.

Saturday morning we awoke to cannon thunder. We got up went to our friends boat and had breakfast. They had been there before so they were more ready than us (They had pirate clothes). We walked around and did touristy stuff, joined the dinghy water soaker mahem in the harbor, went to the beach to watch the dinghy race later we went to the bar for drinks...Then the weather changed, the wind started to pick up blowing dead against the dock. We were back onboard our freinds boat preparing to stream some shrimp when the harbor started to get rough with incresing winds. I went to check our boat and had to adjust and add bumpers, then added throw cushions, my Wife came over and saw I was basically stuck watching the boat, as the weather kicked up even more our freinds who have a much larger boat alongwith almost everyone else on the dock joined the fight with their boats. Some of the larger boats received horrible damage from bashing the dock we were basically unscathed due to sacraficing throw cushions and using every bumper aboard (WE WILL BE BUYING LARGER BUMPERS NEXT TIME WE GO TO THE STORE), we were also lucky to be at the boats when this all started. Dinner cancelled as contingency plans commenced, we decided that when the next lull happened and we could break free from the dock we would call it a weekend. When our chance came at sundown we broke out of the harbor into open water and headed home across the bay. Although the waves were much larger in the bay we were away from fixed objects and other boats, my Wife was cool with the whole event even laughing when I was drenched by a wave that came over the side (A few years ago this would have totally freaked her out!). We docked up in our slip around 11:00PM.

So either the weather and/or economy must have kept many away because it didn't seem too crowded. Everyone we ran into was really nice, the people dressing up as pirates were having fun and in really good spirits and there is nothing wrong with that. We will go back next year. We will NOT use the dock, we all have decided to anchor/raft on the flats, we will bring the dinghy, super soakers, and yes...probably PIRATE CLOTHES!!!!

To steal the phrase from one of my favorite restaurants (Hooters) it is delightfully tacky.
1981 Hobie H16
19?? Sol Cat
19?? Penquin
Many, many power boats