Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
I agree that bottom painting is a do it yourself task, that is once the bottom has been painted and you thus know where to apply the paint. That said it might be worth it to have them do the first time. I would not want to be the one taping the waterline for the virgin coat of paint as I have no idea how to go about doing that part of the job.

I do disagree that decent paint has to be over $175 a gallon. Hydrocoat is advertised at West Marine (not known as the low priced source) for under $140 a gallon and it is way better than decent. It's pretty darn good for the Chesapeake in my experience and its rated well in PS evaluations in the Chessy and FL as well.

The only reason I'm considering going to Ultima SR is the "SR". Hydrocoat doesn't have an anti-slime additive. Price will play a part in my decision though and if I think the Ultima is too high when I need paint, I'll have no qualms about sticking with Hydrocoat and having the bottom wiped down by a diver a couple of times a year.

I know plenty of owners paying for the expensive paint that still have their bottoms scrubbed a few times a year, so I'm not at all certain I'll see better results even if I decide to try the Ultima SR40.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2011

Tazsprout is on a distinguished road
As a relative newbe, I really appreciate all this advice. Both owners of this boat are horse vets with unending access to oxytetracycline... now I know what to do with all those out of date bottles...

The boat is on a trailer, so will not need hauling. But I guess then need to put it on a cradle to paing, etc.

I don't think we will need to hire divers, we can haul it out and clean from time to time. I think the best thing may be to let the yard do the first paint job and we will see what happens in subsequent years. At least htat way if the water line gets messed up, we can blame someone else..

I will ask some specific questions about what they are using.
Old 03-14-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
[QUOTE=Tazsprout;708626]....I think the best thing may be to let the yard do the first paint job and we will see what happens in subsequent years...../QUOTE]

That makes good sense.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-14-2011
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
The diver may become a thing of the past soon with the environmental concerns.
Not likely. Because even the geniuses who determine water quality policy are waking up to the fact that it's not in-water hull cleaning activities that are the probem, it's the paint's load of toxin that is the problem. That toxin is leaching into the water 24/7, whether or not you have a diver clean your bottom. What is much more likely to happen is a move away from copper as an anti foulant and towards a different metal, like zinc. In areas of moderate or high fouling, in-water hull cleaning is a necessary part of boat maintenance (regardless of which paint is on the hull) and cannot be easily dispensed with.

FYI- Senate Bill 623 is before the state legislature in Sacramento right now. If adopted into law, it would prohibit the manufacture, sale and distribtion of copper bottom paints in California beginning 2015.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/...introduced.pdf

Last edited by Fstbttms; 03-14-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-14-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
Not likely.
Divers have already been banned in the cove where my new marina is located. I don't know if that is the town, state, marina or DEM that proclaimed it.

Quote:
FYI- Senate Bill 623 is before the state legislature in Sacramento right now. If adopted into law, it would prohibit the manufacture, sale and distribtion of copper bottom paints in California beginning 2015.
I thought you recently suggested that legislation like this would be far off and using environmentally friendly paints wasn't that critical, yet. I may not recall correctly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-14-2011

RichH will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
I do disagree that decent paint has to be over $175 a gallon. Hydrocoat is advertised at West Marine (not known as the low priced source) for under $140 a gallon and it is way better than decent. It's pretty darn good for the Chesapeake in my experience and its rated well in PS evaluations in the Chessy and FL as well.

The only reason I'm considering going to Ultima SR is the "SR". Hydrocoat doesn't have an anti-slime additive. Price will play a part in my decision though and if I think the Ultima is too high when I need paint, I'll have no qualms about sticking with Hydrocoat and having the bottom wiped down by a diver a couple of times a year.
FWIW ... in the low-salinity of the upper Chesapeake 'most' of the bargain ablatives no longer seem to be offering adequate protection, especially in those areas that have low flow ... and that includes the Bohemia R. Only the top-shelf anti-slime ablatives seem to be 'working' well, such as Micron-extra, etc. and then, as with all ablatives, unless you often sail the boat on a minimum regularr basis (at least ~weekly) so that the slime is released you can still be plagued by barnacles, even with the 'top-self' anti-slime paints.

Ditto the 'anti barnacle' coatings for prop/strut/shaft ... because of the recent 'water changes' over the past 3-4 years, the increased nutrient burden and extremely high turbidity coming down the Susquehanna R., etc. even such products as Petit Barnacle Barrier is no longer protecting the underwater metals. (... worse, the infamous zebra mussels are now 'coming down' the Susquehanna and only time will tell if they will 'explode' on the low salinity upper Chesapeake). Hopefully the prevailing winds will change back to SW'er that better 'mix' the bay waters and we can once again enjoy less problems.
Old 03-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Divers have already been banned in the cove where my new marina is located. I don't know if that is the town, state, marina or DEM that proclaimed it.
There are private marinas in this state that do not allow in-water hull cleaning as well. That does not mean it is likely to be banned statewide. Unless you can provide details about the situation you are describing, it is of little use regarding a discussion of the future of in-water hull cleaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I thought you recently suggested that legislation like this would be far off and using environmentally friendly paints wasn't that critical, yet. I may not recall correctly.
You are correct- sort of. I did say that the Department of Pesticide Regulation (which has authority over anti fouling paints in California) has no plans to ban copper. I said nothing about a ban coming from the the State Legislature, however. The DPR will be re-evaluating all copper-based anti fouling paints available in this state, with an eye towards reformulating them with lower copper content and release rates. SB 623 came out of left field (and was introduced less than a month ago) and is separate from the usual regulatory process regarding anti fouling paint.

Last edited by Fstbttms; 03-14-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-14-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
I hope you are right Fastbottom. Our diver is great and he has been invaluable. There is a talk of a new MD law prohibiting them working on the bottoms of boats mainly aimed at in water hull cleaning ..we actualy just signed a petition against that in the club. The law had no mention of CU based bttom paints.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-14-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
As RichH said...dont cheap out on bottom paints....i think you will regret it

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I hope you are right Fastbottom. Our diver is great and he has been invaluable. There is a talk of a new MD law prohibiting them working on the bottoms of boats mainly aimed at in water hull cleaning ..we actualy just signed a petition against that in the club. The law had no mention of CU based bttom paints.
I'm actually having a discussion about this with a Maryland hull diver right now over on Cruisers Forum. We're going over the discharge permit and I think I've shown that in-water hull cleaning is not prohibited. It seems the cleaning of ablative paints is, but not hull cleaning in general.

Go here to read the thread:

New Rules for Bottom Paint - Page 3 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.