Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Fastbttn,,

The indivigual in the thread you posted is our diver actually.. very knowledgable. He is right about using ablative paints on the Chessie. The slime away properties are superior we have found on a consistant basis. This is the hull cleaning they may outlaw as I posted before. We may have to get shorthauled and powered washed instead of having the diver. Hard paints such as Petit Trinidadad dont do as well ehere.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2011
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
This is the hull cleaning they may outlaw as I posted before.
I understand that but let's be clear- hull cleaning is not being outlawed. That's like saying you can't drive your car anymore because going over 65 mph is illegal.
Old 03-15-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Puget Sound in WA is sorta outlawed in the hull cleaning part. Mostly for ablatives. Hard paints one can have a diver clean the hull, ablative no. My marina will not let you dive and clean ANY bottom, outside the break water, no biggie!

But there does seem to be a "get rid of the copper paints" locally too. Not sure if this is good or bad.....

But this could spread........

Marty
Old 03-15-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Discharge permits are being rescinded by the dozens, perhaps hundreds, in New England. There are marinas that are voluntarily making changes, such as prohibiting hull diving or requiring e-green type paints that are getting an extension before having to put in pressure washing containment units. It's like legislating from the bench. The laws themselves haven't necessarily changed much . Its all just a game, but the direction is clear.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-05-2011

ewoden is on a distinguished road
Friendly reminder. There are a number of posts here that discussed the use of oxytetracycline as a marine antifoulant paint additive. Be advised that in 2005 such used were cancelled by the USEPA. To add the compound, veterinary drug sourced or what have you, to marine antifoulant paint could be interpreted as a violation of FIFRA. Procede with due dilligence.

"Use of oxytetracycline as a marine anti-foulant additive for barnacle control was cancelled in 2005."
Oxytetracycline Summary Document
Registration Review: Initial Docket
December 2008
Case # 0655
Old 05-05-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoden View Post
Friendly reminder. There are a number of posts here that discussed the use of oxytetracycline as a marine antifoulant paint additive. Be advised that in 2005 such used were cancelled by the USEPA. To add the compound, veterinary drug sourced or what have you, to marine antifoulant paint could be interpreted as a violation of FIFRA. Procede with due dilligence.

"Use of oxytetracycline as a marine anti-foulant additive for barnacle control was cancelled in 2005."
Oxytetracycline Summary Document
Registration Review: Initial Docket
December 2008
Case # 0655
I have no interest in using the stuff, but I do not understand what "cancelled" means. One would think they would say prohibited if you were not allowed to add it yourself. Could be jargon I'm unfamiliar with.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.