Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2011

gregw5221 is on a distinguished road
Looking for new places to anchor in southern Chesapeake Bay

Hey everyone...I'm looking for new places to sail to/ anchor overnight in southern Chesapeake Bay. I went to Mobjack Bay twice last summer and plan to check out two other rivers leading into the bay. I sail out from Salt Ponds marina in Hampton, Va and looking for other short trips in the area, maybe one or two nights out. Eastern shore seems like the right distance, but looking at the charts, it's very shallow along the coast on the bay side and to exposed. James River seems a little to shallow also. Be on the York River many times already. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-26-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregw5221 View Post
Hey everyone...I'm looking for new places to sail to/ anchor overnight in southern Chesapeake Bay. I went to Mobjack Bay twice last summer and plan to check out two other rivers leading into the bay. I sail out from Salt Ponds marina in Hampton, Va and looking for other short trips in the area, maybe one or two nights out. Eastern shore seems like the right distance, but looking at the charts, it's very shallow along the coast on the bay side and to exposed. James River seems a little to shallow also. Be on the York River many times already. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks
Since you specfically said anchor I assume you wouldn't want to visit some place like Cape Charles where you are pretty much commited to a marina. There is a small anchorage at Onancock so that's an Eastern shore option you might look into though it would be a pretty good sail from Salt Ponds.

On the western shore, I think it would be pretty tough to get much north of Mobjack and back in two nights unless you have a pretty fast boat or do some signficant motoring. That said, once you reach the Piankatank and Rappahannock there area a world of options to anchor:

Piankatank-Godfrey Bay, Fishing Bay, Jackson Creek

Rappannock - Carter Creek, Corratoman River, Urbanna, etc

Just north of the Rappahannock there's a bunch of creeks provding good anchorage - Antipoison, Dymer, Indian, Dividing, etc all the way up to the Potomac.
Old 05-26-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Draft?

We would love to help, but please tell us how much water you want. I'm guessing you want it deep.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-26-2011

SailKing1 is on a distinguished road
If you haven't already done so, check out Gunkholers guide to the Chesapeake. It will provide you with just about anything you want to know or need to explore.
Old 05-26-2011
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Fishing Bay is a day's run from Hampton.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

Old 05-27-2011

gregw5221 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the ideas, in fact after I sent out the first thread I was looking Fishing Bay. Seems well protected and the right depth, approx 15 to 20 feet. The boat we will be taking is a 1986 C&C MkII with 5'3" keel. I'm looking at the chart now and found the spots you all mentioned, all they look good. And you're all right, I'll have to plan on an extra day for the distance. Also thanks for the suggested reading SailKing1, Gunkholers guide to the Chesapeake was just I needed. Already picked one out on Amazom. If there are any other suggestions keep sending them.

Thanks everyone!
Old 06-27-2011

Cptken is on a distinguished road
I haven't been, but lots of folks anchor for the day at the Concrete Ships, eastern shore just north of the bay bridge tunnel.
Couple of creeks on both sides of the York that will also meet you needs.

If you haven't found ActiveCaptain.com yet, give it a try
Old 06-27-2011

ggray is on a distinguished road
Kiptopeake, behind the concrete ships, is indeed a great anchorage, but not with a SW or SSW wind, unless you can find room N of the old ferry pier.

You can land your dinghy at the launch ramp (tie upon back side of dock). You might bring your PFDs. Ask me why I say this.

This is a state park, lots of room to walk, pathways and wooden walks. Lot of birding in the fall.