Anchorages in Reedville VA? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 12 Old 08-01-2011

We kept our last boat in Reedville for 10 years. Good anchoring in the following locations. Note that the smell from the factory can be bad in the area of #29. Just a few degrees west and it's usually clear (#1). If one site smells, go to the other. You have no idea how bad it smelled in the 80's BEFORE the scrubbers were added.

1. PAST the fish factory and on the right fork (#29).
2. PAST the fish factory and on the center fork (near #24). I don't prefer this anchorage because it's kind of exposed.
3. PAST the fish factory and left (#1) in front of Buzzard's Point Marina. Gas and Diesel there too. Kept our boat there until our daughter was 6 and wanted other kids. Not much there other than the tour boats to Tangier but it's mostly clean and has showers.
4. Sandy Point (#28) but I don't prefer it because there is always a swell from passing boats or the Bay
5. Up river ~5 nm at INSIDE Horn harbor (tight to get in but magical).
6. Off Horn Harbor House restaurant, near Horn Harbor. Duh...
7. Mill creek near #17, #18, or #19.
8. Never been in #6 or #7. Too shallow.

I would not anchor near #3 or #4. Too much swell and traffic (commercial & pleasure)

Sabre 38 "Victoria"
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 Old 08-01-2011
Seņor Member

Here's a qualified third for Sandy Point.

Very quiet and serene little anchorage.

My only qualification is on holding. We hooked there in 2008, no problems. Not so in 2010. We struggled to get the anchor to set (44lb CQR on all chain rode), and thought we were OK. A late evening storm (25 kts steady, with gusts to 45) came through, and we dragged badly. We ran out an additional 120' of chain, but the bugger still wouldn't bite. Had I not had a Danforth set up on the secondary rode, ready to deploy, we'd have wound up on the beach. Two other boats in the anchorage also dragged during the storm, so it wasn't just bad luck or bad technique on our part.

To recap -- yes, I'd go there again, but be prepared to react quickly if a storm blows in.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.