Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2011
PR Sailor

velero is on a distinguished road
Anchorages in Reedville VA?

Going down the bay and would like to stop by Reedville (i know the fish factories) or maybe Dividing creek a few mies south. Thanks in advance,
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2011

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Come up the Wycomico to Reedville turn to starboard at the fork in front of Reedville marina and anchor just about anywhere in front of the restaurant. This anchorage is also mentioned in ActiveCapt'ns as 'Seaboard'..

Clay
s/v 'Tango'
Old 08-01-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down Think twice before going to Reedville!

FWIW...

We stopped in Reedville last year, I doubt we'll ever stop there again. It took us a while to find a place to anchor, finally choosing a spot on Reedville Creek/Cockrell Creek , north of the processing plants. The next day we had to get out of there since the wind direction had changed overnight, the smell was unbearable. The bay was all stirred up so we opted for Mill Creek and dropped anchor west of the G5 inside the beautiful and protected cove with great holding. I tried to highlight the areas in yellow on the map below.

The town of Reedville was nice enough, not much going on though, very quiet and not much in the way of provisions. I recall it being difficult to find fuel? And this was in July.

I've copied a part of our trip report from last year...

Day 4: St. Leonard Creek to Reedville/Cockrell Creek - Airshow
Departed: 08:30 Arrival: 17:00
Weather: Sunny Temp: High of 80 Wind: NW 10-15
On our approach into Reedville we were buzzed by a low flying private aircraft, he couldn'tít have been more than 100' off the water, then several of the fishing fleets 100'+ vessels accompanied us in. After a tour of the creek we finally dropped the anchor in a spot upwind of the fish processing plant (Note: double check weather report for winds overnight, more to come on that later) Dinner at the Crazy Crab and a stroll through the town of Reedville. Very friendly people, no place with in walking distance for provisions, although we did get an offer from someone at the restaurant to take to a store if needed.

Day 5: Reedville to Mill Creek Ė Oh that smell
Departed: 10:00 Arrival: 12:00
Weather: Overcast, Light Rain Temp: 70 Wind: SE 25-30
Oh my god! I awoke to maybe the most horrible odor I have ever smelled, the factory. Seriously, I donít know how the people whom live there stand it. I thought I was going to hurl. We couldn'tít get out of there fast enough; I had the anchor up before Irene had the engine started (sorry residents, no disrespect meant) After finding some fuel for the dingy, which took visits to three different gas docks before we found one that was open? Not sure what that was all about. Considering the winds we not in our favor and a beat to wind didnít inspire us, we chose to make a short hop across the river to Mill Creek, the closest upwind location of Reedville. (Funny note, the other three sailboats in the anchorage did exactly the same thing LMAO) Getting into Mill Creek required paying close attention to the chart, but once inside, it was as if we went through a time warp. Calm, little to no wind, and absolutely amazing. We dropped the hook off the old abandon mill with the company of a few others. Once settled, we took a dingy ride to shore and explored a bit. It reminded me being on Deep Creek Lake, I highly recommend stopping there, lots of places to anchor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 08-01-2011
1968 Pearson Wanderer 30

ilikerust is on a distinguished road
No, no, no - you're doin' it all wrong.

Very nice anchorage can be had by bypassing Cockrell Creek and don't go up there - because, as has been observed, IT STINKS!

Instead, head straight up the Great Wicomoco and go up and around Sandy Point. It's clearly shown on the NOAA charts. Once you pass Sandy Point on your port side, turn to port and go well into that curved little cove, and you'll find a lovely, quiet anchorage with excellent holding.

I took this photo there 11 months ago:

The only mistake I made was not going far enough into the little cove area - we were just barely inside the protective arm of Sandy Point, so we still caught a little breeze and very light chop from passing boats. If we had gone a couple hundred yards farther in, closer to shore, where a couple other boats were anchored, we could see the water was much flatter there.

It was a beautiful evening and a great place to anchor. I'd go there again.

And you're far enough away from the fish processing plants at Reedville that you don't smell them.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
Old 08-01-2011
1968 Pearson Wanderer 30

The spot I'm talking about is indicated by the green number "28" in this pic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain
Old 08-01-2011
PR Sailor

velero is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the information. I am delivering my boat to Deltaville and wanted to be a few hrs from Jackson Creek.
Old 08-01-2011
1968 Pearson Wanderer 30

When I made the trip, it was more than a "few" hours to Jackson Creek. Easy enough to do in a day, for sure, but depending on wind conditions (obviously), I'd allow more like 6 hours. You're looking at about 24 miles from that anchorage to Jackson Creek.

Are you going to Deltaville Boatyard?

That's where my boat currently is on the hard. (Hopefully will be getting her back in the water before September, but that's what I said about August).

- Mark Twain
Old 08-01-2011
Abysmally Stupid

jorgenl is on a distinguished road
I would recommend Mill Creek, just south of Reedville.

Plenty of anchorages, good holding and beautiful. One of my favorites spots.
Old 08-01-2011

badsanta is on a distinguished road
Good fuel to be found at Fairport marina on cockrell creek west of the smoke stack
Old 08-01-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
I second behind Sandy Point. We sailed out of Deltaville for 5 yerar and that spot was among our favorites in the Area.