Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Chesapeake anchorages NOT in the guides.

Let's up the challenge. More importantly, let's share some places we won't easily find in the literature.

Rules: Can't be in the Chesapeake Bay Magazine guide. Can be either a day or overnight spot, but tell which.

I'll go first:

Overnight
- The creek north of Briary Cove, off Harris Creek. The quietest spot on Harris Creek. 6-foot entrance bar, but deeper inside, with lots of room.
- Just west of James Island, if you've got shallow draft and a south to west wind. Otherwise, just a day spot. Nice beach, and the islands will be gone in a decade or so. Better draw 3 feet, or you'll have to park far out. One of the few islands that is not closed to the public.

Day only
- Calvert Cliffs. There are several nice beaches that can be accessed by boat but not by foot (a few hundred yards north of the public beach). Cove point and the LNG terminal give enough protection in most summer weather.
- Janes Island. Anchor just west of the channel, on the Chrisfield side. Take your tender or kayaks into the island via the many endless creeks. If you want to spend the night, the Chrisfield marina is a better choice, since it gets pretty shallow, but it could work for some. There are several coves, about 4-6 feet deep. Old House Cove would work better for overnight, but that's in the guide (and also has a shallow entrance). Janes Island is a beautiful wetlands park, only accessible by boat.

I mean, we're not just camp ground-hopping RV owners, are we? We need to get off the well-beaten track.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Man, this is going to be tough...will have to consult my guide! You full timers have a leg up here

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-11-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
I don't have the Chesapeake Bay Magazine guide - Shellenberger is my Chesapeake bible.

From my post on the Top 10 thread:

Three places dependent on wind direction I really like - the East side of Stone Point near Deltaville (opposite Fishing Bay), the mouth of the South River between Thomas Point and the first creek, and in the Bay outside and just to the North of the Magothy River. Quiet, settled with appropriate wind direction (or none), and empty since they aren't in the cruising guides.

The Deltaville one may be in the guides - I sent it to the Waterway Guide and posted it on Active Captain. The other two I haven't shared before.

Has anyone tried tucking up against the beach between Tolly Point and Thomas Point?
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 10-11-2011
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
Full timers and multi-hull, shallow draft you mean. FOUR FEET! Not on my best day can I make it at four feet. I've been stuck in the mud at 5.0 feet. I'll anchor in 6.0 but that's it.

It's a great idea for a thread but thanks for pointing out how shallow you are able to handle. Not with my draft...MGM
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD

Last edited by mgmhead; 10-11-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-11-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
MGM - I draw 5'8", so your 387 will fit anywhere that my boat will.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 10-11-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Three places dependent on wind direction I really like - the East side of Stone Point near Deltaville (opposite Fishing Bay),

The Deltaville one may be in the guides - I sent it to the Waterway Guide and posted it on Active Captain. The other two I haven't shared before.
Ok you stumped me on that one. Do you mean Godfrey Bay across from Stove Point? If so that is a very nice anchorage when the winds are out of the south and the Fishing Bay side of the Piankatank would be a lee shore.

It was the first place we anchored out overnight with our current boat.
Old 10-11-2011

NautiG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Three places dependent on wind direction I really like - the East side of Stone Point near Deltaville (opposite Fishing Bay),
Ausp, where is this Stone Point you are are referring to? My chart shows an Iron Pt in the location I think you might mean. But anywhere in the Fishing bay area is a nice anchorage for a boat with your draw.

Little Bay on the north side of Windmill Point near Deltaville is a popular anchorage for locals that I'm not sure is in a lot of cruising guides. I see sailboats of all kinds in there. There is a nice beach and the fishing in Fleets bay just to the north is very good in my experience.

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision

Edit - Midlife, your post went up while I was typing mine. I think Ausp means Iron Point.

Last edited by NautiG; 10-11-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmhead View Post
Full timers and multi-hull, shallow draft you mean. FOUR FEET! Not on my best day can I make it at four feet. I've been stuck in the mud at 5.0 feet. I'll anchor in 6.0 but that's it.

It's a great idea for a thread but thanks for pointing out how shallow you are able to handle. Not with my draft...MGM
OK, OK, I promise I'll start thinking of deeper places. My last boat would float on heavy dew (Stiletto 27) and my current boat takes 3.5 feet. But I deserved that critique.

Actually, only James Island is really thin, and you could certainly anchor within dingy distance on the Choptank side for a day visit, and then stay just inside Hudson Creek, which is deep and lovely.

Last edited by pdqaltair; 10-11-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-11-2011

A few more thougts

- Poplar Island. Sure, it's in the guide, but not reviewed since the island has been re-built by the Corp of Engineers. There is far more water than the 2'-3' the chart shows; toward Coaches Island it's more like 7-8 feet in large areas, and channel markers have been added. It is also very well protected in south, west, and north winds now. Not exactly secluded, but interesting. A few waterman in the morning and the birds are really coming back.

The thing about the Bay is that there can be a lot more water than the charts show... or less.

Old 10-11-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Can I double post one from my previous list in the other thread...but with clarification, oh wait I think its in the guide though? LOL

Still Pond Creek - not to be confused with Still Pond. Getting in is tricky, anything over 5' probably wont make it. Last time we bumped several times trying to thread the needle at high tide. Hug the shore once you go through the inlet, in fact your mast will be very close to the trees above. Once you pass the CG station on your port it will open up, but still watch your depth. In the fall it is amazing, you will be rewarded with one of the most beautiful spots on the bay. I would avoid it on the weekends during the summer if P/B raft ups are not your thing.

Duck Cove, Honga River - very surreal, with plenty of room for several boats, but we were the only ones. Watch your depth as you try to tuck back behind the point. Give the G1 entering the Honga River a wide berth. We hit bottom hard motoring in a 7 SOG. There is significant shoaling there, we thought we were in 40-50 ft. and were extremely surprised to say the least. See chart.

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.