Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CruiseICW

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2011

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Sailing Pamlico Sound

I'm moving my Tayana 37(5'10" draft) down to the sound this coming spring and I'm interested in any suggestions about where to explore and even where to keep the boat. We'll be living quite a ways away from the boat in the mountains of NC so a very secure marina will be desired.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2011
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
How do you intend to use the boat, once you get here?

Oriental is a great central location to be able to weekend out of. The water there though, can get really skinny. If you'll be spending more than a few days at a time, then I'd suggest the marina at the Hilton in New Bern. Great rates, a great staff, and good roads. Bad thing is, you're 5 hours up the Nuese from Oriental. So if you're going anywhere, the first day is just getting to where you can go from.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-29-2011

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the input. We'll probably spend at least a week on the boat or more when we're there, but a lot of that time may be at the marina with just day sails or possibility some over night anchorages. The ideal location would have some good anchorages just a couple of hours of sail time from the marina. We did look at Northeast harbour marnia just outside of New Bern and though that sailing in the Neuse may not be that good and anchorages seem somewhat limited too.
Old 12-29-2011

luken7 is on a distinguished road
If you're doing day sailing and overnights, I'd recommend Oriental. We keep our Bene361 there. Theres quite a few good marinas in the Oriental and since it's at the mouth of the Neuse River where it meets the sound, great starting point for day, overnight and weekend sailing trips. Since you're driving from the western part of the state, I'd figure an additional 25 minutes past New Bern won't really matter.
Old 04-06-2012

CruiseICW is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing Pamlico Sound

I second Oriental. It's a great town and Ocracoke (one of my favorite places) is a nice day's sail across Pamlico Sound.
Tempest likes this.

Old 04-08-2012

jtsails is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing Pamlico Sound

Lancelot,
I just moved my boat down and chose Oriental. Lot's of destinations within a days sail, several nice marina's in the area and several good restaurants here in town. On the down side, draft will be a problem at times. The Neuse river does not have a lunar tide, but does have a wind tide that can be a couple of feet. I am currently keeping my boat (6'1" draft) at Pecan Grove Marina in Oriental and I am fine if the water is at average or higher, but if it is down from a Southwest wind I will have trouble getting in and out. This marina is very protected and has nice facilities. Other options for you would be the Oriental Harbor Marina, on the outside dock only though. It is not as protected but the outside dock has a little more depth than Pecan. The best option for protection/depth would be River Dunes. It is a few miles outside of town but is very nice. The slip rental rate is reasonable, but you have to join the "harbor club" and pay monthly dues which makes if a good bit more expensive than the other options.
Sea Harbor is a nice quaint marina, but less water depth, if one of the outside slips is available it might be workable.
Whitaker Creek has about the same depth as Pecan, but is really showing it's age, lots of dock queens tied up there and facilities are old/worn.
Another option to look at is the Pamlico River. The Pamlico is not affected by wind tide as much as the Neuse which makes it a little easier with a deep draft. Dowry Creek Marina in Belhaven is very nice, with great owners but there is very little in Belhaven.
Bath is an interesting town, very small and not much there for restaurants and supplies. Water depth is no problem though with 7+ feet in almost any conditions.
James
S/V Delaney
1976 C&C 38