Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012
Yamsailor

Yamsailor is on a distinguished road
Good example. I think there is enough money in the Philly area to support a nice marina. As your example demonstrates, I think it just takes some vision and a "can do" attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
The Chester marina was to be part of the Soccer Stadium, restaurants, supermarket and condominium development, The "Union" stadium was built then 2008 happened, and the money dried up.

The basin beside the stadium needs dredging for the marina, all the bulkheads are in good condition, but without lots of investment in infrastructure it is not going to happen in a city that cannot met its school payroll, and had its controller shot at a gas station last week.

The stadium is a success, revenue is up and another stadium deck is proposed, so sometimes if you build it they do come.
Old 02-25-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamsailor View Post
Yes,

I was at Winters/Dredge Harbor two weeks ago by boat.

It is LOW.
Well you have much more recent info than I do. I might actually want to consider moving there in the future. Could you let me know how low it is? My wing requires 3'8". I refuse to stay somewhere that I can't get into and out of at any tidal level.

I had forgotten that last time I was there by boat, Ulladh was actually with me:

Denise - I really hope to move my boat to be with my friends at West End someday, but I'm waiting until the dredging proves to be 100% successful. For now, it's another season at Anchorage, with off-season storage at West End.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-25-2012

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road
I'm on the Delaware River all right, only at the mouth; Lewes, DE
We're more interested in the sailing aspects of a venue as opposed to the "amenities".
The lower bay wind and waves, can and often does change abruptly which sometimes makes for a white knuckle ride. Slip fees in Lewes rival that of Annapolis because of supply and demand, so we have been moored up the Broadkill river for 50 bucks a year. It's 10 minutes from my house and one hour to the bay.
This year we are looking at several marinas on the Wicomoco and Pokomoke rivers, for the purpose of doing some serious gunk holing in 2012. Amenities be damned, but like minded sailors are graciously welcome to out best efforts at hospitality.

Dick
Old 02-25-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Flybynight,

How far by car to Cambridge or Oxfoprd. The Choptank is a great gunkholing venue and openas the whole middle Bay up for you.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-25-2012
Yamsailor

Yamsailor is on a distinguished road
I think you will be fine. Any draft up to 4 feet should be ok at any tide level. I would start being concerned with a vessels draft over 4 feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
Well you have much more recent info than I do. I might actually want to consider moving there in the future. Could you let me know how low it is? My wing requires 3'8". I refuse to stay somewhere that I can't get into and out of at any tidal level.

I had forgotten that last time I was there by boat, Ulladh was actually with me:

Denise - I really hope to move my boat to be with my friends at West End someday, but I'm waiting until the dredging proves to be 100% successful. For now, it's another season at Anchorage, with off-season storage at West End.
Old 02-25-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
HIJACKING THIS THREAD! lol

Now that we are friends....

Delaware River Recreational Sailors. "DRRS"

Yams, want to be included in this motley crew?

May 5th get together at Delaware City right?

my current "project"!
Old 02-25-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Yam,

I've contemplated this many times. My slip neighbor and I had a lengthy conversation last summer about the options in the NYC area. ( he's considering a move) I tend to agree with your premise, in that..given the relative amount of boaters in the area, and the amt. wealth; the quality of the options available seem limited; to the point where, I don't think people choose their marinas in the NYC area for their amenities. I'm going to venture a guess that their choices are more about access: travel distance from home, access to the waters they want to be near, and the activities they partake in, Racing, cruising, daysailing, Fishing etc. Some of the marinas on the Hudson are downright rough. Lincoln Harbor comes to mind. Newport in Jersey City is a bit nicer, but some of the docks are falling apart.
Both are bouncy. Liberty landing is probably the most protected on the lower hudson, and you pay a price for it. Raritan YC , Keyport are all moorings. Great Kills has a mix of moorings and slips, but you'll pay the bridge tolls to get to SI every time you go to the boat. Then there's the Highlands, Perth Amboy municipal, Lockwoods and I'm sure I missed a few.
In short, there are compromises to be made with every choice up here. I don't think there's a place that " Has it all" I think all these places have positives, depending upon what your particular wants and needs are. But, you will also give up something with any choice.

I can't speak to the Delaware choices. I've sailed out of Winter's. It seemed narrow and shallow. I've been to the marina on the Cohansey, Hancock Harbor? Pretty rough, and isolated, but it might be perfect for someone who lives nearby.

No intent to insult the Delaware bay sailors, but if you're closer to the Chesi than to NY I would find a nice spot on the Chesapeake. In the NY area you'll pay top dollar and make compromises wherever you go.

Last edited by Tempest; 02-25-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-25-2012

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Flybynight,

How far by car to Cambridge or Oxfoprd. The Choptank is a great gunkholing venue and openas the whole middle Bay up for you.

Dave
It's 46 miles ~ 1 hr. by car.
Old 02-25-2012

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
So Yams original question was "Why does the Philadelphia area have such crappy marinas."

Could it be that the Chesapeake is so close that it is a real alternative for those boaters that crave better amenities, leaving those of us less picky to our lot.
Old 02-25-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Frankly, I will always take less amenities- it usually means less hassles and tighter friendships.
inshallamiami and Bene505 like this.