SailNet Community

SailNet Community (
-   Chesapeake / Central US east coast (
-   -   crash in Kent Narrows (

bandaidmd 05-28-2012 12:41 PM

crash in Kent Narrows
One missing, two hurt in Kent Narrows boating accident -

Sound like A tragic mistake was made by the operator. Another step closer to mandatory PFD wear.

jsaronson 05-28-2012 08:12 PM

crash in Kent Narrows
11pm in a Whaler in an area with bad current. Did they even have a spotlight?

bandaidmd 05-28-2012 08:34 PM

It would appear they didnt.
A 21 foot whaler is a decent size boat,One could make the assumption that the toxicology report may sjed some light on this.

chef2sail 05-28-2012 08:37 PM

Re: crash in Kent Narrows
I went through the Narrows on Saturday on my way to the Wye. Where is the jetty they are referring to?

DRFerron 05-28-2012 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 876826)
Where is the jetty they are referring to?

I'm not sure exactly but I bet it was the same one where, last year while in Eastern Bay, we heard on the radio the CG broadcasting about a 50' Hatteras being smashed against a jetty near Kent Narrows.

Probably aren't that many I would guess?

Jeff_H 05-29-2012 03:15 PM

I assume that it is the one to the west of the channel when approaching from the south.

chef2sail 05-29-2012 03:27 PM

That whole area is a 6 knot zone starting where all the marinas and outside restuarants/ dock are. A boat striking the jetty at 6 knots ( if they were doing this) would do some damage for sure, but throw them out of the boat. Must have been traveling at a higher rate of speed than allowed.

Tragic. Such a shame.

aa3jy 05-29-2012 04:10 PM

The "Jetty" (Breakwater)they refer to is located just south of the bridge and across from the 'Jetty' restaurant. It separates the Narrows from Prospect is also a barrier used to separate the the speed boats during 'Thunder on the Bay' racing series. It is definitely in the 6 knot speed restriction zone.