Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2012

patrscoe is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing to St Mary's

We were thinking of visiting the lighthouse in October. A little haunted adventure for a kids as the Lookout Point lighthouse is ranked the 9th haunted lighthouse in the country, not sure how they came up with a haunting ranking. The inlet into the park might be a good temporary docking or anchoring.

Gary, do you know who owns the docking that is just inside the inlet? It appears to be a public facility but cannot find any information on it.

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Patrscoe,
I just noticed your home port being Kinsale which means you already knew everything I posted earlier about the lower Potomac.
Are you at Port Kinsale or Kinsale Harbor?
Old 08-29-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

T.I. Cruises is running again. I just went kayaking there a month or two ago, and watchted the boat come in.

The body of water at the state park that you tie up in, is called Lake Canoy.

Whatever you do, stay outside of bouy "PL" (unless you're actually driving in to Lake Canoy), the actual Point Lookout light, and green "69A".

I can't believe how many people drive their boats onto the shoal down there.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 08-29-2012

patrscoe is on a distinguished road
Sailing to St Mary's

We are at Port Kinsale. We have only been there for a few months. It's a very quite marina and people seem nice. We have sailed up and down the Potomac (Va side) all summer so we thought we would explore St Mary, MD this weekend.
It's a little different than the Deltaville area, our previous sailing grounds but we like the quietness within the upper neck, most of the time.

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va
Old 08-29-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

I'm at Olversons. I've stayed at Port Kinsale, Coles Point, Tall Timbers, St. Mary's Yachting Center and Pt. Lookout. Have been to Horseshoe Bend at St. Mary's numerous times and been to Solomons and Reedville several times.
Went to Tangier once and as a friend once said, if you've been there once, you've been twice and don't feel like making it 3 times.
Old 08-29-2012

Sea Dawg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrscoe View Post
Perhaps the wind forecast for the weekend will be better in a few days and we'll head up to Solomon or down to Reedville.
Go for Solomon. Just did both and the scenery is beautiful in Reedville, but there's nothing else. In Solomon the entrance is well marked, there's a museum and restaurants and we borrowed bikes from the marina (Zanhisers) and got around town, swam in the pool, and got supplies. We only were able to buy ice in Reedville. We timed it so we were heading up on the incoming tide and much of our return was slack or outgoing to make up time. Do post pic's.
View at dinner:

Old 08-29-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck53 View Post
I'm at Olversons. I've stayed at Port Kinsale, Coles Point, Tall Timbers, St. Mary's Yachting Center and Pt. Lookout. Have been to Horseshoe Bend at St. Mary's numerous times and been to Solomons and Reedville several times.
Went to Tangier once and as a friend once said, if you've been there once, you've been twice and don't feel like making it 3 times.
My Dad's saying for places like that was "I've been there twice. My first time and my last time."

I've actually flown to Tangier many times but never been by boat. Having been there I'm not sure I'd make the effort to go back via boat.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 08-30-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-30-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I believe the dock used by Tangier Island Cruises is owned by the park, and Allen Tyler probably leases it from the park. Inside Lake Conoy, the basin is fairly deep, about 7 to 8 feet, but as posed above, it's real easy to run aground on the shoal. It's also easy to run aground on the 1/4-mile long sand bar that runs from the point out to Point Lookout Tower.

If the wind's blowing from the north or northeast, you can always anchor outside the lake in the shelter of the hook itself near Jobs Rock. The bottom here is hard sand and with enough scope holding is relatively good. This is NOT a good place to anchor when the wind is coming from a southerly direction.

The next closest sheltered area in the Potomac is Smith Creek, which is where Point Lookout Marina is located. Smith Creek is about 6 miles upriver from Point Lookout state park.

Solomons is a great place to explore, lots of restaurants and bars, not sure if the Tiki Bar is still there, but it was always a good place for the younger crowds. There's good anchorage in the nearby creeks. You can sail upriver for several miles, but once you get above the Route 4 Bridge the channel narrows down a bit.

Reedville really didn't have much for sightseeing that I can recall, and if the menhaden rendering plant is operating you definitely don't want to be downwind of the plant. The smell will make anyone gag.

Good Luck,

Gary
PalmettoSailor likes this.