Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013

patrscoe is on a distinguished road
Re: Urbanna for marina location

James,
We sailed out of Regent Point (East side of the bridge - Rt 3) on the Rappahannock River prior to going to Kinsale. From Regent Point, it took about an 1 hr 15 m or so to sail from our slip to the bay and I think Urbanna is about twice as far. We found that the water averages around 30' within the River and never came close to going aground until we got closer to the bay. There are some good creeks and anchoring on the Rappahannock and nice places to sail and visit like Irvington.
Urbanna's town has very little attractions except for their Oyster Fest each year (I believe they still have that). We tried to get a cup of coffee there one Saturday morning as we were passing through and nothing was open. We did considered going there at one time, slips are very inexpensive and you can pick one up for the year for about $2k (many slips owned by the Urbanna Association) and the drive from Richmond is much less than most of the bay marinas, which is nice when you have children.
We have a friend that sails out of the Urbanna area on his 30' sailboat from a private dock slip and loves it, but he has no interest in going out into the bay.

We moved from Regent Point (Rappahannock) to Kinsale (Potomac) last year and now I am considering going back before we renew our lease in April. We are looking in Deltaville which we visited many times by sailboat and car, and took a ASA Charter & Offshore sailing courses there. Deltaville is a sailboat town with many riggers, maint. shops and boat yards, and a good sail loft, Ullman / Latell Sails. I was always able to get cable swaged, obtain engine parts for my Yanmar or a shim for my prop. Urbanna has a boatyard but I have not heard anything good or bad about them.

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

I have been very pleased with Urbanna. The river is beautiful and allows for sailing in several directions from Urbanna. The smaller waves are good for my family sailing. The only downside is its distance from the Bay - 15 n.m. - but for my daysailing with occasional long cruises it is perfect.

Here is a video from yesterday with great conditions:

Old 04-07-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

and another one showing the GPS pegged at 6.7 knots upwind:

jimgo likes this.
Old 09-19-2013

claugerbaum is on a distinguished road

James, it has been awhile since your post and appears you are sailing out of Urbana. I hope you are enjoying it as much as we have throughout the years. My partner and I have an Irwin 39 "Mystic" that is in the Eastern Branch of the Corrotoman. My wife and I are leaving this Saturday for a week on the bay and waiting for the wind forecast to decide on going north or south.
Just looking over the post and thought I would drop you a note. Good sailing and maybe we will see you at the "Festival" in November.
jameswilson29 likes this.