Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Delaware River Anchorages

I know Rick and Colin spend some time sailing the Delaware and may have some " local " knowledge of anchorages.

I dont ever hear you talk about anchoring out. I know Colin has found places in South Delaware River and Bay, How about north at all? Do any of your friends at your clubs/ marinas have a special place to go get out of the major lanes?

Anchoring in a tidal river takes a different set than anchoring in the Chesapeake where there is vortually no current/ tide. What we really judge is lee shores, out of the wind, out of the channel and just set our anchors, Spoiled we are

Poeple who anchor in New England have greater knowledge about current and rivers we have found. A great deal of their rivers are tidal in nature and it doesnt stop them from anchoring in them. The Delaware River is like them. Maybe not quite the scenic view as the Hudson or Conneticut River, but still on the water is always special. We have frequently anchored behind Reedy Island which we use as a staging stop waiting for current change on our trip down the Delaware. It actually is quite a beautiful safe anchorage as long as you dont stare at the nuke plant. Also you are a little expose from the South put you can tuck in and get some releif. We set a kellet to prevent anchor wrap and all is good.

What I am wondering is about other places to anchor and whether anyone has tried them as of yet.

The reason I ask is that we were thinking of taking a fall trip up the Dlaware River. I know its navigateable to Trenton

Specifically:
Salem River / Creek
Newton Creek
Just south of Woodburry Creek on the Jersey side
Behind Little Tinicum Island
Petty Island
Swede Run/ Plum Point
Rancoccas Creek
Croydon
Martains Creek

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2013
dockbum

dockbumdan is on a distinguished road
Re: Delaware River Anchorages

Only know of 4 above the Delaware River bridge.
Hawk Island
Dredge Harbor
Riverwind CG
Tinicum Island
Slip W=11
Georgetown, Md.21930
Sassafras River, Md.

Old 03-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockbumdan View Post
Only know of 4 above the Delaware River bridge.
Hawk Island
Dredge Harbor
Riverwind CG
Tinicum Island
Dan,

Can you expound on your experiences at them?

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-09-2013
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

Dave I had my boat at one of the Essington marinas for about a year and it was not uncommon for folks to anchor behind (to the PA side of) Little Tinicum Island (Big Tinicum Is..is a thing of the past -- essentially part of Essington now). I have dropped a lunch hook there and found good holding. I have seen others anchor for a couple of days. You need to look at the charts and pay attention to depths. The current runs fast and the planes are loud (but totally entertaining if you decide to not let the noise bug you). I have been surprised that the CG and TSA don't hassle the boats who snug right up to the shoreline at the very base of the runway at the north end of the channel between the island and the shore (seems to be one of the most popular spots)

Another nearby place would be along the shore just south of Corinthian and West End Boat Club. The problem there is the fetch is probably 5+ miles to the SE and the river flows fast. In settled weather I have seen boats anchor here for a few days (Corinthian will also rent you one of their outside moorings if the members haven't reserved them first).

Personally, I have always wondered about spots to drop a hook closer to the city. I would venture into some of the old basins along Delaware Avenue except you seem almost sure to run into sunken cars and piles of concrete and rebar dumped in past years. Still, everytime I see a tug tide-up overnight at one of those spots, I wish I could do the same . . ..

-M

Last edited by blowinstink; 03-09-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-09-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Chef, there are very very few places to anchor. To anchor on the river, the wake from large ships is bad, but even worse are the stink potters with the big displacement hulls. We be talking like 4ft waves! tide runs fast. easy 4-6 knots, so there's that 6hr 180 degree turn to be aware of.

There is Tully town cove anchorage, SHALLOW! Also D&S has transient slips there. I go there for pump out. real shallow!

Neshaminy harbor is too small for any kind of anchorage. So you would have to take transient dockage

Now and then our YC club has beach parties on NJ side just across from Delaware River YC. good holding but but open to channel traffic.

Riverside and the Marina's there are also badly silted so a rising high tide is almost always the best time to enter. Very few of the YCs even are accessible for sailboats. Ours is one. Our docks are broad side to the channel so you can guess how bad it can get.

Far as I know if you are YC members from the Chesapeake most all the clubs are reciprocal.

Philly. $$$$ Farragut sportsman's assoc. (YC) is across the river and may have room but I guess you would have to call) There is a marina in Camden also. All of the big area anchorages at Philly and Camden are full of BIG ships and tugs.. almost always one or more on the move.. Homeland security flies over allot. coast guard has a station in Philly also.

Del Air Bridge is 46ft at low tide. (1st bridge just north of Philly) Call on ch. 13 and wait... and wait... tides run about 6ft up this way.

my current "project"!

Last edited by deniseO30; 03-09-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-10-2013

gershel is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=chef2sail;1000382]I know Rick and Colin spend some time sailing the Delaware and may have some " local " knowledge of anchorages.

We have frequently anchored behind Reedy Island which we use as a staging stop waiting for current change on our trip down the Delaware. It actually is quite a beautiful safe anchorage as long as you dont stare at the nuke plant. Also you are a little expose from the South put you can tuck in and get some releif. We set a kellet to prevent anchor wrap and all is good.

I have just started to use a kellet for that reason, after cutting a nice notch in the keel. It actaully happened at Reedy Island 2 years ago. I was wondering how you rig yours?
Marc
Old 03-10-2013

[quote=gershel;1000799]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I know Rick and Colin spend some time sailing the Delaware and may have some " local " knowledge of anchorages.

We have frequently anchored behind Reedy Island which we use as a staging stop waiting for current change on our trip down the Delaware. It actually is quite a beautiful safe anchorage as long as you dont stare at the nuke plant. Also you are a little expose from the South put you can tuck in and get some releif. We set a kellet to prevent anchor wrap and all is good.

I have just started to use a kellet for that reason, after cutting a nice notch in the keel. It actaully happened at Reedy Island 2 years ago. I was wondering how you rig yours?
Marc
Thanks for your reply

I have a good holding 33 lb Rocna for starts.

I attached a 1/4 inch shackle to the anchor top
Overtons Vinyl-Coated 10-lb. Mushroom Anchor - Overton's
WEST MARINE Stainless-Steel Screw Pin Anchor Shackles at West Marine

Then i attached 25 feet of 1/4 inch line to a thimble

I drop and set the anchor and cleat it off. I open the large shackle put the anchor line in the big circle part, the mushroom shalcke and the thimble on the shackel pin and close.

I lower the mushroom anchor ( it slides down the regular anchor line so that the anchor is 5 ft below my keel ( if I have the depth) . My keel is 4.5 and freeboard at the bow roller is about 11 ft, so i let it slide down the anchor 21 ft from the bow roller. I then tie that line on the cleat.

It keeps the anchor line weighted down straight so when the boat swings in the current the keel can pass over the line and doesnt get caught. Thats the primary reason I use it, not for the decreased catanary angle.

It has worked well so far although I have not used it in winds in excess of 30 knots.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 03-10-2013

Ulladh is on a distinguished road

There are few safe overnight anchorage on the Delaware River above the C&D.

The two official anchorages that are not for commercial shipping are behind the north jetty between the C&D entrance and Delaware City, and behind Little Tinicum at Essington.

The Delaware City anchorage is very exposed and in a swift current.

The Little Tinicum anchorage varies from exposed to a 5 mile fetch off Corinthian to well protected opposite Anchorage Marina.

Anywhere else on the river will get a visit from USCG, NJ or Phila marine police, DNR or the fish and boat commission asking if you need help.
Old 03-10-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Dave,

I've anchored a couple times behind Little Tinicum. I've never done it long enough to contend with the 180 degree tidal swing. Actually, I've really only done it to practice setting the hook. We have little desire to stay anchored there because of the plane noise - and of course we have our slip there anyway. The east end - near Anchorage where I keep my boat - is well protected from the river fetch, but very noisy due to low-flying jets. The west end by Corinthian and West End Club are a little less noisy because the planes are higher at that point, but the fetch is worse.

When we want to relax for a few hours, we go to the cove at Riverwinds. It's nothing like the serenity of the Chesapeake, but it's the closest thing we have, it's well protected, and as a small cove it does not have too much current except at the mouth. It's only an hour sail, so it's very reachable for us. You might have difficulty getting in any time besides high tide - not sure what your draft is, and I haven't checked out the depths much once inside. I haven't ever anchored there because RiverWinds YC has set mooring balls there and we have reciprocal privileges. So I don't know how the hold would be. Also, not sure whether overnight anchorage is allowed, although the chart shows no restrictions. If you could get in there and dinghy to the small beach, there's a pretty decent restaurant on shore.

If you want to spend time in downtown Philly, you probably need to take a slip. The Penns Landing Marina was renovated a couple years ago and is a real cool location. We stayed there one night last September and had a wonderful time. There is city noise and parties on Moshulu and at the Hyatt, but you're right in the middle of the city next to the Independence Seaport Museum, but out along the seawall it's open enough to get whatever breeze is available off the river. The girl on the phone told me they have bathrooms and showers on a remote location that they'll take you to in their golf cart, but the dockmaster claimed it's for employees only "but I'll take you there if you really want to" - but not after 5 pm, when he's off the clock. They need to get their act together on this. We only stayed one night, so we didn't bother with the showers. Also no fuel or pumpout there.

The Piers marina is a dump, and severely silted in. It's also very stagnant air, since it's surrounded by buildings (pier warehouses converted to condos/restaurants) on 3 sides.

Philadelphia Marine Center has a better reputation, but I have no personal experience with it. It may also be surrounded by piers.

Check ActiveCaptain for other possible locations. Wiggins Park across in Camden has gotten mixed reviews - at best.

It is nothing like the Chesapeake. As you know, the main benefit it holds for me is that it's 12 minutes from my home (which we'd invite you to). But Philly is a nice place to visit, and if you can find a decent marina it's a nice place to have a floating hotel for a couple days.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 03-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Dave,

I've anchored a couple times behind Little Tinicum. I've never done it long enough to contend with the 180 degree tidal swing. Actually, I've really only done it to practice setting the hook. We have little desire to stay anchored there because of the plane noise - and of course we have our slip there anyway. The east end - near Anchorage where I keep my boat - is well protected from the river fetch, but very noisy due to low-flying jets. The west end by Corinthian and West End Club are a little less noisy because the planes are higher at that point, but the fetch is worse.

When we want to relax for a few hours, we go to the cove at Riverwinds. It's nothing like the serenity of the Chesapeake, but it's the closest thing we have, it's well protected, and as a small cove it does not have too much current except at the mouth. It's only an hour sail, so it's very reachable for us. You might have difficulty getting in any time besides high tide - not sure what your draft is, and I haven't checked out the depths much once inside. I haven't ever anchored there because RiverWinds YC has set mooring balls there and we have reciprocal privileges. So I don't know how the hold would be. Also, not sure whether overnight anchorage is allowed, although the chart shows no restrictions. If you could get in there and dinghy to the small beach, there's a pretty decent restaurant on shore.

If you want to spend time in downtown Philly, you probably need to take a slip. The Penns Landing Marina was renovated a couple years ago and is a real cool location. We stayed there one night last September and had a wonderful time. There is city noise and parties on Moshulu and at the Hyatt, but you're right in the middle of the city next to the Independence Seaport Museum, but out along the seawall it's open enough to get whatever breeze is available off the river. The girl on the phone told me they have bathrooms and showers on a remote location that they'll take you to in their golf cart, but the dockmaster claimed it's for employees only "but I'll take you there if you really want to" - but not after 5 pm, when he's off the clock. They need to get their act together on this. We only stayed one night, so we didn't bother with the showers. Also no fuel or pumpout there.

The Piers marina is a dump, and severely silted in. It's also very stagnant air, since it's surrounded by buildings (pier warehouses converted to condos/restaurants) on 3 sides.

Philadelphia Marine Center has a better reputation, but I have no personal experience with it. It may also be surrounded by piers.

Check ActiveCaptain for other possible locations. Wiggins Park across in Camden has gotten mixed reviews - at best.

It is nothing like the Chesapeake. As you know, the main benefit it holds for me is that it's 12 minutes from my home (which we'd invite you to). But Philly is a nice place to visit, and if you can find a decent marina it's a nice place to have a floating hotel for a couple days.
Thanks Rick for the details. I am a Philly boy rememebr. Still route for the Flyers, Eagles, Sixers and Phillies. Tough living in Baltimore the super bowl champs. I grew up in Bryn Mawr. I am friends with the owner of the Moshulu which has been there since Ive been in HS.

We used to hang out at the end of the Internatinal Airport runway and party in school and watch the planes rumble down the runway at us taking off barely over our heads.

Just looking for a fall place different to cruise to when its cooler. Looks likem anchoring is really a no no

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-