Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: Bay sailor needed - Deale to Quantico, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayWindRider View Post

Did you use radar or AIS on your offshore to RI?
RI is my next trip. I have done the Delmarva coast 4 times, 3 time solo and I do not have radar or AIS or a liferaft or lines led aft or a $300 harness, or any of the totally unnecessary and expensive convenience items recommended by some of the members here (some of whom have never left the Bay). Nor will I likely buy any of them.

I did buy an ACR PLB for my next trip. I do use a nice Garmin 76cx GPS and papercharts and a VHF, speedo, depth sounder and a compass, which is more than sufficient. I also use a autopilot and a solar panel to charge my batteries. I do not hesitate to motor if I can't consistently make 4 knots sailing.

The first time I did the Delmarva coast trip on a P26 I used a paper chart, a compass and a depth finder and I did fine. My autopilot was a bungee cord on the tiller.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

You don't really need the radar or AIS to sail at night on the Bay. Very few have AIS and very few use the radar a lot on the Bay. I have both and rarely use except in fog or at night when in a shipping area to identify a boat. For the most part I am not in shipping lanes.

James you certainly can do the RI trip easily. You've gained a great deal of experience doing the Delmarva, but could have done the coastal stuff as well. I have followed your trips closely and picked up a few pointers/ tips from them.

Anyone can really sail up the coast. 20 years ago when I lived in south NJ and we went up to MV or the LI Sound there was no on board electronics to speak of compared to today and it all was done with compass, dead reckoning, paper charts etc. You still should be able to do it with this method in spite of having the new found electronics IMHO

Quote:
RI is my next trip. I have done the Delmarva coast 4 times, 3 time solo and I do not have radar or AIS or a life raft or lines led aft or a $300 harness, or any of the totally unnecessary and expensive convenience items recommended by some of the members here (some of whom have never left the Bay). Nor will I likely buy any of them.
While I appreciate your opinions and traditional sailing viewpoint here, and have done this trip sans the stuff above, I would say that the word unnecessary is not the word I would use to describe them.

Having been caught in thick fog for 2 days which is common in RI, I would tell you radar is comforting to have. Having done NYC at night it is the same. Lines led back, life raft Radar, AIS, are not " essential" items, however I would not characterize them as convenience items either.

Sailing at night or along the coast may be a little riskier in some senses so I look at them as helping with risk avoidance. For instance it is less risky to have radar on a foggy night or a night crossing shipping lanes of New York harbor than not. It is less risky to be able to put your sails up, reef or douse from the cockpit than going above when single handing. The equipment is non essential, but helpful.

You can get from here to Florida without air-conditioning in your car. Air conditioning is a convenience and may keep you fresher and more alert, but it isn't a necessity.

Everyone chooses what you want as far ask risk minimizers and avoidance and conveniences. To term them unnecessary isn't useful. It doesn't make you a better sailor whether you have them or not. It also shouldn't deter you from trying new adventures.

Also and somewhat importantly my wife sails on our trips too and has the helm about 1/3 of the time and some of the conveniences make her more comfortable in "captaining" the boat from the helm. It is essential to keep her happy and comfortable and free of fears.

Of all the electronic conveniences I have added I would say radar and the Chart plotter in conjunction with prior techniques and knowledge have helped with safety. Should they get knocked out...I will easily survive....but like air conditioning...why just survive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-11-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

The key to this trip will be hot and cold beverage provisions and ice, not AIS or radar:

A nice spring water for regular hydration.
French press and a great coffee for caffeine.
Snapple natural ice tea mix with black tea, raspberry and peach for more caffeine.
Craft beer on ice for afternoon - Sam Adams, Blue Moon, or Sierra Nevada.
Schnapps or Cherry Herring liquor for the night watch.

Don't forget to bring some flashlights with red lens also.
Old 04-11-2013

UncleJim is on a distinguished road

Would love to help out but the company just put a hold on time off due to work load with a new customer.
Old 04-11-2013

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

I agree you ought to skip Solomon's and go all the way to Smith Creek or St. Mary's the first day. Since wind usually comes down the Potomac from the NW, plan on a lot of motoring going upriver. This trip is doable in 2 long days, but maybe 3 would be better.
Old 04-11-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

I've done this trip any number of times -- usually between Annapolis and DC.

There is a significant difference between a cruise and delivery. My thoughts are from the perspective of a delivery skipper. Move the boat, don't break anything.

Radar would be nice - not required.

AIS would be nicer yet - not required.

Thoughts in no particular order --

Sailing at night is easier than during the day. Almost everything you care about has a light on it and the biggest risks--recreational sailors--are pretty much not out. Good charts and/or a chart plotter make a big difference. Your best tools are your eyes, your depth sounder, your ears, and your nose. Eyes are obvious. If your depth sounder says the water depth is different than the charts say for where you think you are then you aren't where you think you are. Fish traps attract birds - birds make noise - you can hear the birds. Fish traps often smell also. Pay attention to your senses at night.

Single-handed I'd get on the boat as early as possible Friday evening and go to bed. I'd get up early and push straight through as far as I can, probably Nomini Bay or Cobb Island. Of the stops noted I think Solomon's is too short (not to say I haven't done that on owner-aboard deliveries). St Mary's is too far up the river and a waste of nearly three hours on your boat. Smith Creek is fine.

Two-up with qualified crew I'd sail straight through, as was suggested before. Marinas are a time waste unless you need fuel. The check-in and check-out process eats time that you aren't moving the boat.

Make sure you have enough fuel onboard to make the whole run non-stop. You should be able to make this whole run in 30 hours or less - probably a lot less unless you have Southerlies all the way down the Bay.

Do you have binoculars?

Different people have different sleep cycles and needs. Don't push yourself. Still, once you get going as long as you have meals set up for yourself it's pretty easy to keep going.

Standing watches can be pretty cool. Recognize that the most important thing about watches is for the off-watch to be rested.

I'm in Annapolis. If you want to drop by and walk through charts and talk about bailouts and watch schedules and meal plans I'm happy to do that. First round is on you. *grin*
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 04-12-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

Smile Re: Bay sailor needed - Deale to Quantico, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post

Just keep your head on a swivel, know your ship lighting configurations (tug with tow, anyone?).
Bueller, Bueller? Navigation Rules Online

Rule 24 - 2 masthead lights, a towing light above the stern light or 3 vertical lights or 2 vessels displaying lights. Any time you see a vessel displaying vertical lights or 2 vessels close to each other in a line, stay away!
Silvio likes this.
Old 04-12-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

This is slightly off topic, but given the discussion of night sailing, I thought I'd share. My surveyor and I went to lunch the day of my survey, and we went to one of his local hang-outs. There were 4 or 5 other captains there that day, and they were all telling stories. These were all tug boat captains, and one guy said that they were bringing several very long sections of pipe up the Chesapeake a few years ago as part of some project. The pipe was so long, it had to actually be suspended between two barges. The pipe sat low, and was essentially partially submerged. Late one evening, as they were making their way North, they hear an engine, and it's LOUD. It's clear that this guy is going very fast. They see him as he comes around a bend, and he's clearly on a course to cut directly across their path. The pull out a spotlight and shine it on both barges, and on the pipe between the barges. The guy keeps coming. The try to hail him on the radio while they shine the spotlight again. The guy keeps coming. They honk the horn, call on the radio, shine the spotlight. Still coming. They do this 3 or 4 times, and yet they watch as the guy continues to aim right for the space between the barges. As the boat gets close, they can actually hear music blasting above the sound of the engine, and hear the driver and his friend excitedly whooping and hollering. Then they hear a scraping sound, and they hear the prop begin to rotate in the air, followed by a splash. They hear cursing, and the boat slows some for a few seconds, then speeds right back up again and goes on its way, never to be heard from.

Sorry...long story...but it was meant to reinforce JamesWilson29's point - stay away from 2 vessels close to each other! You never know what's between them. Also, operating a vessel at night while under the influence isn't really the best of ideas. And combining the two together is pretty much a recipe for at least a new bottom job.
MMR likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 04-12-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
This is slightly off topic, but given the discussion of night sailing, I thought I'd share.
Unfortunately you can't fix stupid.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 04-12-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Was that directed at me, for putting an off-topic comment in there?
1975 Albacore 15