Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2013
I'm Jon, I'm a sailaholic

BayWindRider is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Bay sailor needed - Deale to Quantico, VA

All,

I have a Catalina 27 currently sitting in Deale, MD. Iím planning to sail from Deale to the Potomac in Quantico, VA from 27-30 April. Unfortunately, my buddy who was going with me has to go to training for work. Iím wondering if anyone would like to assist me with moving the boat. Hereís a little info:

Boat: 1987 Catalina 27 Tall Rig in working condition (last survey 2012), no frills, but has an Autohelm ST4000, bimini, and an inboard Universal Model 18
Dates: 27-30 April 13
Expected Stop-overs: Solomonís (Marina), Smith Creek (Marina), Colonial Beach, VA (Marina)
Owner Experience: Roughly two years experience with one season on the boat. I have also completed ASA 101 and 103.

Iím pretty laid back and easy-going, and would like to have a similar-minded person if possible. Of course, no druggies or persons with wants or warrants. Since Iím in law enforcement, it might not work out. Prior sailing experience is desired, but having some working knowledge is ok. I can arrange transportation from Quantico back to Deale after the trip if needed. Iíll buy enough food for lunch and snacks, but will also pay for dinner when at the marina.

**I posted here instead of Crew Wanted since the majority of the people who linger here are Bay sailors.**

PM me if interested.
Old 04-11-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Bay sailor needed - Deale to Quantico, VA

What is the condition of the boat? You listed the gear, but what is it's status?

Standing/Running rigging in safe condition?
Universal engine safe and clear for duty?
Seacocks and hoses checked and safe?
Sails in useable condition?
VHF, GPS and navigation lights functional?
Got all the necessary personal safety gear?

Do you intend to sail where possible or are you looking to motor most of the way? (The answer is not as obvious as you might think)
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
What is the condition of the boat? You listed the gear, but what is it's status?

Standing/Running rigging in safe condition?
Universal engine safe and clear for duty?
Seacocks and hoses checked and safe?
Sails in useable condition?
VHF, GPS and navigation lights functional?
Got all the necessary personal safety gear?

Do you intend to sail where possible or are you looking to motor most of the way? (The answer is not as obvious as you might think)
This is why I posted working condition. If someone wants to meet up to see the boat prior to the trip that can be arranged. However, if you just wanted to know specifics:

- The running and standing rigging are in serviceable condition. Although, Iím going to have someone inspect and possibly tune the rigging while itís still on the bay (cheaper than Potomac).
- Chain plates have been rebedded in the last couple years.
- Universal engine has low hours (around 460) and works like a champ.
- Seacocks inspected during 2012 survey, winterized this fall, and function properly.
- Mainsail and two genoas are in great shape.
- Comfort: Manual marine head and macerator pump operable. No oven, but I have a Magna grill. No hot water tank, but will likely stay at marinas with showers.
- Electronics: ICOM VHF radio with remote, Raymarine TackTick Multi and wind mounted in the cockpit, Autohelm, Garmin handheld chart plotter mounted on the pedestal, and spot messenger for emergency use.
- Safety: I have all the required USCG gear. 5 Type II adult vests, 4 Type II Cabelas low-profile adult vests, 1 Type IV throwable cushion, 1 Type IV throwable lifesling, 2 Type BC, Size 1 (2-1/2 lb), mounted and charged; 1 Type BC, Size 1 (5 lb), mounted and charged, horn, binos, flares, CO detector, oil and trash card posted, and fluke anchor. Navigational lights and deck light are operational. I also have unlimited towing from BoatUS (not-affiliated)

I intend to sail to Colonial Beach, but this is weather permitting. Iíll likely motor from Colonial Beach to Quantico or at least after the bend in the Potomac. Iíve mapped out the target destinations based on motoring the entire way.
Old 04-11-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Why not sail continuously, 24 hours a day, to your destination?
Old 04-11-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

It's a little too far for me, unfortunately, or I'd give it strong consideration.

In looking at your plans, I'm surprised by how short you're keeping your days. It seems to me that you could do this in 3 days, rather than 4, which would likely get you more crew.

Now, mind you, I have less over all experience than you, so take my comments with a grain of salt. But I'd consider leaving that first day and pushing on to St. Mary's (60 miles), rather than Solomons. Colonial Beach should be reachable easily the 2nd day (32 miles (or push on to Aquia if the conditions are good)), and then on to Quantico (33 miles from Colonial Beach). Even if you stop in Solomons, rather than St. Mary's, it seems to me that Colonial Beach should be reachable the 2nd day.

One thing to consider as you're planning this is the time it will take to get your crew from Quantico back to Deale, and then for you to get home from Deale. If your last day ends late, you'll have a tired crew who may still have a decent drive to get home, and who have to get up for work the next day. I'd suggest pushing hard the first day, and if you can, the 2nd, and then having a nice, short day for the last day so you can handle the rest of the logistics. But that's just my suggestion.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-11-2013

I would love to, but I have no radar or AIS on the boat. Although, there is supposed to be a full moon the week prior and in the 80th percentile during the trip... That would be nice sailing.

Did you use radar or AIS on your offshore to RI?
Old 04-11-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

AIS will only track the big ships and maybe the tugs.

Radar more important IMHO. Definitely a three day even two doable trip. I also agree with the first day push to the Potomac, I would do Glebe / Coan River vs. Smith which is extra distance. That's 60 miles or 12 hours on an average 5 knot day. Of course unless you have good wind directionally this becomes a Solomon's day as you'd be tacking.

Seeing as you fight the current in the Potomac I can understand breaking that trip up into 2 days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
Old 04-11-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Ok, I don't want to downplay the value of radar and AIS but really, you do not need those tools to sail a small boat down the Bay, at night.

I've done the Eastport to Solomons race, and Governor's Cup for the last two years, all overnight races on my boat, and boats with no radar or AIS.

Just keep your head on a swivel, know your ship lighting configurations (tug with tow, anyone?), and have a good GPS and VHF with some paper charts or a chart book as a backup.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 04-11-2013

I always plan for the worst possible conditions, but I would push to Smith Creek or beyond on the first day weather permitting. The worst case scenario would be Solomon’s, but I would head towards Smith Creek/St. Mary’s or beyond as long as the mouth of the Potomac isn’t crazy. I’m sure it can get pretty nasty with an easterly wind at high tide or vice versa. I will have to time it right based on the conditions. If I get a crew member I’m more than willing to alter the plan and condense it accordingly (also considering their drive from Deale).

If I have to do everything single handed I will likely keep the current plan. Heck, I might as well check out Solomon’s and St. Mary’s during the late afternoon. That way I won’t get burned out.

If there isn’t overcast the moon should be brilliant that weekend. It’s been a while since I’ve sailed at night, but that would be a wonderful sight on the Potomac. Since I have a newborn, I’ve learned how to operate with little sleep! Lol

Thanks everyone for your comments.
kd3pc likes this.

Last edited by BayWindRider; 04-11-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-11-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

I second Bubblehead's comment. You do not need radar or AIS, either on the Bay or offshore. Traditional watchkeeping has worked for centuries.

If you go solo, it makes sense to anchor. With crew, I would keep going, leaving after work on the first day, if you arrive during the night the next day or two, sleep on the boat. It all depends on how much motoring you want to do. Otherwise, who wants to anchor?

I too raced overnight on the Solomon's Invitational, back in 1993. Soaking wet on the rail, without any sleep, I decided I liked cruising better. But, you can make the trip comfortably with 4 hr. shifts. This is a good way for you and some other eager Sailnetters to get some night sailing experience. In the Spring, you should actually have some wind for a change.

We read these ridiculous posts from newbies who want to buy their first boat and sail across the Atlantic immediately and they do not even realize that will mean sailing at night and keeping watch. You have to have your sail handling and boat handling skills down pat to sail well at night - it is a good exercise. Hard to get into too much trouble on the Bay, as long as you stay out of the way of the ships and don't hit any stationary objects.

The fuel loading dock just north of Cove Point is amazing when lit up at night and you will be able to see flying objects leaving from Patuxent air station, as I did when I arrived in Solomons Island last summer at 1 a.m. Should be a fun trip!

Last edited by jameswilson29; 04-12-2013 at 09:03 AM.