SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

2013 Annapolis Spring Sailboat Show

5K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  chucklesR 
#1 · (Edited)
In about two weeks, the second annual Annapolis Spring Sailboat Show will take place. Show dates are from April 26th-28th. It might be nice to have a SailNet informal meetup there for those attending.

I'm thinking about Saturday, April 27th at 1300 (1PM) - Does anyone want to meet at Pusser's for a painkiller? I was told their 2nd floor is a good place to hang out. Thoughts? Suggestions?

I'll update this thread with people who are attending for a rough head count.

Awesome List:
Resolute_ZS
chucklesR
boz86
Nicklaus

Hemming and Hawing:
PorFin
wingNwing
jimgo
TakeFive

Lame and Boring:
chef2sail
zz4gta

See less See more
#2 ·
What is the spring show like? I think when I lived in Annapolis there was no spring show.

Regards,
Brad

#3 ·
That's a good question. I didn't go last year, so I can't comment - but it looks like it'll be similar to the fall show but a little bit smaller. The boat list keeps growing, though. It looks like a couple rows of floating docks are not going to be there compared to the fall show. More information here:

Welcome to The Annapolis Spring Sailboat Show | United States Yacht Shows

You can compare the map there to the map for their fall show too. I'm hoping it'll be less crowded than the fall show, while still having a decent but not completely overwhelming selection of boats to see.

#4 ·
No comparison. Its really a lame show.

We will be out sailing that weekend.

Great idea about trying to get everyone together though. If we happen to be anchored near Annapolis on the night of the 27th well come on over and RSVP a week from Friday when we figure out which direction we are sailing that weekend.

Don't forget the 5th annual Chesapeake Bay Sailnet Rendezvous on June 8 at the Maryland Yacht Club in Rock Creek. Thread about it is a sticky in the Destinations Sections.

#5 ·
chef2sail -

It was nice seeing you and your boat a couple weekends ago while John was up Chuck's mast :)

The list of boats looks decent - my problem is at the fall shows, I have gotten overwhelmed at the number of boats to see. I'm also hoping more people will have your idea and will stay home so the show won't be as crowded. Hopefully. :)

Oh, and I will be attending the Rendezvous - sounds like a great event!

#7 ·
chef2sail -

It was nice seeing you and your boat a couple weekends ago while John was up Chuck's mast :)

The list of boats looks decent - my problem is at the fall shows, I have gotten overwhelmed at the number of boats to see. I'm also hoping more people will have your idea and will stay home so the show won't be as crowded. Hopefully. :)

Oh, and I will be attending the Rendezvous - sounds like a great event!
Ha....so that was you dangling:):)

We still may get to the show if the wind gods dictate that direction on Saturday and we wind up in one of the Back, Spa or on of the Severn Creeks

The shows I usually spend 5% of the time on boats and 90 % in the booths and parts and accessories. 5% on food and booze

Ill put you on the June list that I am compiling for the Rendezvous. Are you coming by boat or land?

Dave

#6 ·
I may go, and I reckon that some are like me.

While I'm happy to accept Dave's description of last year's show, I'm a little reluctant to extend that to this year's version 2.0. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that some of that "lameness" can be chalked up to first year, new event, "let's see how this goes" kind of tentativeness on the parts of both sailors and vendors.

That said, unlike the fall there are TONS of other activities come springtime competing for a sailor's time, energy (and money.)

My decision will be based more on gear vendors rather than boat displays. If I think I may be able to score some deals on stuff I want/need, then I'll probably go; if the vendor list is short I'll probably give it a pass.

#8 ·
That was Donna's other half that was doing the dangling - I was the one with the green fleece on :) I won't have a boat of my own - I'm not sure how I'm going to end up getting there. I may be a stowaway on someone else's boat.

PorFin - that's my hope too. It's always tough to gauge how an event is going to be after the first year. It looks like they have a decent representation of boats on their list. I don't care too much about the Neel tri's and Gunboat; I've already seen them and they're out of my price range anyway. This might end up being a more laid back, practical boat show :)

#10 ·
Nice idea to meet up on Saturday; I'll be at the show that day and try to join you but I really don't know, or have a lot of control over, my schedule. (see below)

I think the Spring show also has some broker boats (used) instead of just new as the fall show does? That's one difference.

Anybody attending Cruisers University along with the show? Welcome to Cruisers University! | United States Yacht Shows I'm presenting a lecture on (surprise) blogging and cruising on Sunday morning. Scares the **** out of me to be on an email list with all the heavyweight circumnavigator cruising names that are headline speakers. Who, me??

#14 ·
We have a commitment in Bethesda Saturday evening, so might be able to pass through Annapolis on the way down from Swarthmore. Not sure about schedule yet, though.

So that puts me in the "hemming and hawing" category.

We still plan on bringing our boat down for Dave's picnic in June. It's a two day trip down, and hopefully a week of cruising around the Bay afterwards.

#20 ·
Sorry, jimgo - I don't know who will be there on Sunday, just Saturday. As for good places to meet - either in the venue before the docks, at Pusser's, or perhaps near the ice cream shop before you enter. They're easy places with room to move around - near the boats it's a little tighter with the crowds. Others may have more suggestions on places to meet.

#21 ·
I'm going to have to pass on the gathering Saturday at Pussers because I have a session beginning at 1:30 on Sat. We'll probably be wandering the show Friday and Saturday mornings, and at the Cruisers U cocktail parties Fri & Sat evening. Enjoy the show, all.

#24 ·
We are going to try to make it down there by 1300 Saturday. It's about a two hour drive, plus however long it takes us to find parking.

The meeting place is 2nd floor of Pusser's, right? I've been there before, but did not realize that there was a 2nd floor. Can one of you suggest how I can recognize you. I'll feel real foolish walking around the bar trying to think of non-pickup lines. ;)

I'll try to remember to bring my "Take Five" baseball cap so you can recognize me. My wife refuses to wear it because she doesn't want to get "hat hair" before her high school reunion tomorrow night.

#26 ·
Unfortunately we're not going to have time to pass through Annapolis. We have too many errands to run today before we can head out. We need to head straight to Bethesda instead.

Maybe we'll meet up at the show next fall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.