Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2013

lapworth is on a distinguished road
Flares on the bay ?

I know all the safety police around here are going to get on me for this. DNR and Coast Guard have been making safety checks on the rivers around middle chesapeake. Word is there even making sure your flares are still in date. In all my years on the Bay I have never seen a flare go off in distress. I don't even know a single person who has used one except on the 4th of july. With cell phones, Vhf and so many boats around are they necessary for weekenders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Flares on the bay ?

You're probably right, the owners aren't using the flares, so they sit. In the back of their minds, they know they have flares, and don't even think to check for an expiration date because they "know" they have the flares.

You make a good point - technology does tend to render certain things obsolete (Loran, for example). But I'm not sure flares are one of them. A handheld flare can be the only way you're seen at night (batteries die), and an airborne flare is certainly a good way of getting attention and showing rescuers your approximate location.

I have a bunch of expired flares. I'd love to try them out so I'm familiar with how they work (or how to work them), but I'm afraid of launching a search and rescue operation. Is there a place/way to test them/play with them? If not, how do you properly dispose of them?
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-30-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Many Yacht clubs and other organizations including the USCG aux sponsor events where the launching of flares is authorized for training and to dispose of expired items.
Check your local area for info, it's not easy, but it is legal when you do it that way.

As to usefulness - frankly - doesn't matter. Law says you carry and they be current.

There is a reason. My informed quesstimate is that more than 50% of the boats out there on the bay and it's rivers are not listening to the VHF actively- most haven't used the radio for years and have no idea both how or how much range they have.
90 percent of them are little go fast runabouts and sport fishers.
75% can't hear the person sitting next to them at the helm (over the motor or the music).

Imagine a little test. You call for help on the VHF or cell. I'll call for help the same then launch 3 flares.
See who gets on scene help faster.

I don't bet my life on you winning, and suggest you don't either.
T37Chef and chef2sail like this.
Old 04-30-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Chuckles is right on the money. And one should practice using the flares, both the handhelds and pistol flares.

I demonstrated how to use the handheld flares with my kids a few weeks ago, although they didn't want to hold it at least they see they can be dangerous when not used properly and they begin to understand how to use.

As for the pistol flare, I have shot them into a pool for practice.

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by T37Chef; 04-30-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-30-2013
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Well they are a last ditch type of thing, so you should not see them on the sound unless there is a tragedy in the making. There basic purpose now is as back up to all the other safety equipment. This does not render them useless and are essential to the safety of all on board.

By the way you should keep your expired flairs as backup on board, and this is perfectly legal as long as you have enough current ones as well. If you drift offshore you may set a few off thinking there may be a search boat in the area, so the more the better. I do tend to be a bit more cautious then many, for instance everyone under 18 wears a PDF (inflatable for those over 16). I must say I wonder how helpful they would be where I boat, as the Hudson can be twisty in spots, and surrounded by mountains or hills. But I would not think of not having them.

I wonder how far inland you have to be to "try them out" without prior authorization.
Old 04-30-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
As for the pistol flare, I have shot them into a pool for practice.
I assume this was an in-ground pool?
T37Chef likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 04-30-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Well they are a last ditch type of thing, so you should not see them on the sound unless there is a tragedy in the making. Chef , Chuckles and Mitapaul right on the money.
We keep our up to date fares in our ditch bag and our expired ones on board as we do travel off shore and who knows.

In the Bay I rarely travel with my VHF all the time on except when I expecting to connect with someone. To much endless chatter and open mikes and I am trying to be in a relaxing mode. Different story in NY Harbor or off shore.

Our club with CG approval sponsors a flare shoot off once every few years where you can practice and shoot off your old flares

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by Faster; 04-30-2013 at 12:35 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 04-30-2013

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

The CG was under the Bay Bridge on Saturday among the fishing boats. I stayed away, but presume they were doing checks. I didn't see any fishing rods on board.
Old 04-30-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

J

We were in your neck of the woods on Saturday/ Sunday. Not sure where you exactly keep you boat, but we anchored on Whitehall Creek above Rideout Creek and above the marina with the Hinkley yachts, across from a beautiful house with a C&C 36 blue hull at its dock.

We saw a 35 MKIII when we were sailing out of Whitehall Creek up to the bridge on Sunday, but weren't close enough to make out the name. Was it you?

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-30-2013

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

Dave,

most likely! There was a light blue C&C 40 behind me. Sorry I missed you.

Joel

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.